Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Seller BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seller BEWARE

I have posted my ATV in the ATV classifieds 2 weeks ago and since then I have received 4 responces from people oversea's wanting to buy the ATV but they say there client has a cashiers check for extra and they want me to imediatly cash the check and send excess monies via western union(so they can arrange pick up). Yea right, You cash the check right away and walk out of bank money in hand before it clears on the other bank and your left w/o a 4 wheeler and the full amount of the check PLUS the money you transferd. SO BE VERY CAREFULL.
Ex: 4 wheeler $5000, they send check for 10k you take your 5k off top and transfer the other 5k to them they pick up 4 wheeler BEFORE check clears your OUT the 10k the 5k you sent and the 4 wheeler. So you sold a 4 wheeler for 5k and it will cost you 20k.
It makes me sick that people out there do this but sadly Ill bet there people who get took like that also. I may have one person who has agreed to let check clear and then pick up unit. Well now its a waiting game. Ill try to keep you all posted on how it turns out.

Has anyone else that is selling one had this experience or has had sucess with selling this way? Or is there really a shortage of 4 wheeler overseas?

Old 08-05-2004, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default Seller BEWARE

Its a way of laundering money. They would probably give ya the 5k and let you keep your quad. I would tell them to contact 1-you-rbu-sted

Old 08-05-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Default Seller BEWARE

After all the scams out there, there is no chance in hell I would sell one of my machines to someone overseas.
You wanna pay by check you are going to have to wait for it to clear before I hand over my machine to you. You dont wanna wait bring me cash or a money order. No cash No deal. I'm sure there is some idiot out there that is willing to do it otherwise they wouldnt keep doing it. Example I was listening to a talk show on the radio the other night and this chick called in and wanted the host of the radio show to lend her 100k and she would repay him 1 million in a week. She was going to send the 100k overseas to a suppossed lawyer for processing and money conversion charges and send her 100 million from a suppossed uncle she had that had passed away. She had never met the uncle, didnt know anything about the uncle but she was alerted by email so it must be true. How stupid could one person be.... Imagine being this chicks husband...... No way would I let her near the check book or money!

Old 08-05-2004, 02:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Seller BEWARE

I don't think they'd ever pick the quad up. The scam- they send you $X.XX amount of dollars plus a little extra for shipping. They have someone that will handle shipping so you're supposed to send the extra amount to the third person. The person takes the extra amount you've sent. They never pick up the quad and the original check bounces like a rubber ball. So you'll be out the extra amount that you've sent to the third person.

Old 08-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Seller BEWARE

worse, the check or money order is forged, you actually do get the money for a few days, so holding the bike till it clears is what they count on. Once it does bounce, the bank yanks the money back, but the quad is already shipped.

Old 08-07-2004, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer
Default Seller BEWARE

Thats what I told this last guy, CHECK SITs until my bank get there money and NO chance of them coming back on me saying..whoooaaa HOSS this is fake. But if they want to give me 5k to mabe do a little laundry and keep the ATV.. No harm NO foul....OH did I say that..lol

Old 08-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Seller BEWARE

You'll want to check again. International checks are an exception that bites menay people, even the banks, by surprise.

Feel free to do it, and let us know how it went.

Old 08-20-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider
Default Seller BEWARE

when dealing with large cash amounts. i dont do checks. i will find another buyer

Old 08-21-2004, 01:12 AM
Trailblazer
Default Seller BEWARE

BUYERS beware also!!! I know this guy who wants to own a 1969 Camaro so bad he jumped on the first to good to be true deal and got hooked for $3,000.00!! This dumb a$$ got an e-mail from a guy 'overseas' asking him to send a deposit of $3,000.00 and he would arrange to have a 1969 Z28 all original car shipped and he could pay the balance when it arrived. The guy was advertising the car for only $9,000.00 to begin with.....well duh!! first clue right there!!!!! Anyway, this dumb a$$ sends the 3 grand western union and never hears another thing from him. Oh, this scam was on ebay.

Old 08-21-2004, 08:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Seller BEWARE

I almost got scammed that way. I found a laptop on ebay, used buy it now then emailed back and forth, she lived overseas said send the cash western union. I went to western union sent the cash, came home and had a real bad feeling so I did some research found out this was a scam and thank god the money hadnt been picked up yet, so I canceled it and thank god too!

Quick Reply: Seller BEWARE