Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Convincing the Wife

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convincing the Wife

I'm curious how many of you are in the same boat I am: married with small kids, wife has no interest in ATV's.

I currently have a 96' Honda 300 4x4. It's a great bike that has never caused me any troubles. It still looks and runs like new. But, I've got the "want a new one" bug. Of course the wife thinks that is a waste of money since there is nothing wrong with the 300. It's not that I "need" her permission, but for major purchases, I've found my life is much easier if we are both in agreement.

I've tried to get her interested in riding (then I could put her on the 300 and get my new one), but that hasn't worked. So, I just talked about getting a new one until until she said, "I don't know why you're trying to convince me anyway, if you want it, you'll just buy it no matter what I say" - which I took as her OK.

So, nagging worked for me.

Does anyone else have to convince a spouse (or parent)? If so, how did you do it?

Old 09-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

After I went out riding without my wife, she firmly indicated that, no way in hell was I going to leave her at home while I was out having a blast. That being said, go for a weekend ride with buddies and see what her reaction is.

Either way if you give her the option of riding with you and she won't, then go spend your cash without remorse.

Old 09-22-2004, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Poor, poor guys. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

I can buy anything I want as long as the money is available. If the money is not available, then it shouldn't be bought.

Old 09-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Trailblazer

Yes and no, that little mussel (pun intended) is one of the most powerfull negotiating tools seen today!!!

Old 09-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

your wife didnt like to ride at all. not even a little.tell her youl get a new quad and keep the other just in case she changes her mind.if that dont work tell her your saving it for the kids when they get older.if that dont work say ok i wont have 2 bikes ill just get the new one and sell the old one
tell her you want to spend quality time together side by side on the quads.tell her the quad rides can be romantic just you and her out in the woods pack a blanket stop and pick her a flower. you know the rest.if u use your imagination you can even use the quad if you know what i mean then it will have sentimental value to her.good luck let us know how u make out[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.......

The first machine we bought was for the both of us.... we went riding she would go for 5 to 15 min get bored and come back and I would be gone for hours on end. that nipped that in the bud the next spring I was told to go and get my own. That was the 2nd machine... the 3rd and 4th were a little trickier but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. What an addicting sport this is LOL

Old 09-22-2004, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Sidewinder500
its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.......The first machine we bought was for the both of us.... we went riding she would go for 5 to 15 min get bored and come back and I would be gone for hours on end. that nipped that in the bud the next spring I was told to go and get my own. That was the 2nd machine... the 3rd and 4th were a little trickier but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. What an addicting sport this is LOL
I tried the "its for both of us" when we bought the Polaris. It really didnt work out well. Not a comfortable ride for her.
Then we bought the 2 up TRV from arctic cat changed all that. The wife rides with and loves it. I don't mind the company and its a great machine solo also.

Old 09-28-2004, 03:45 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.......
I begged for over a year for my wife to let me get some quads for me and my daughter. I told her that I would eventually do it anyway but I'd rather have her blessing and tried to explain to her why it was important to me (basically it was something my dad shared with me and I wanted to pass it on). I grew up riding. Even when we we're dating, I had an atv. Not sure why that was even an issue, but she finally gave in and let me get one. I knew the kid's wouldn't be as easy. I hit a brick wall!

So one day she came home from work, with my daughter, and opened the garage door.....and wallah! There sit's a brand new mini!

She didn't talk to me for over 2 weeks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] She's never gone riding with us, either. I was really hoping she would show some interest. I would like this to be a family thing. Who knows? Maybe as my youngest gets a little older. I plan on getting him a powerwheels for his 2nd b-day this November!

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2004, 04:04 PM
This chick Rocks!
A Bad Word For A Good Thing.

oh poor guy. chances are that she'll never want to ride. my bfs buddy is in the same situation excpt she gets PISSED when he goes riding. he has only went riding a couple times since he bought his raptor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] now shes pregnant. its all over for him he'll be selling it soon.

Old 09-28-2004, 04:25 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: WhoDatInDaMud
its easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.......The first machine we bought was for the both of us.... we went riding she would go for 5 to 15 min get bored and come back and I would be gone for hours on end. that nipped that in the bud the next spring I was told to go and get my own. That was the 2nd machine... the 3rd and 4th were a little trickier but you gotta do whatcha gotta do. What an addicting sport this is LOL
I tried the "its for both of us" when we bought the Polaris. It really didnt work out well. Not a comfortable ride for her.
Then we bought the 2 up TRV from arctic cat changed all that. The wife rides with and loves it. I don't mind the company and its a great machine solo also.
How can a polaris not be comfortable for her? was it a sportsman?

Quick Reply: Convincing the Wife