Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What 90cc class ATV should he buy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What 90cc class ATV should he buy?

--Hi, all. My Aunt is looking to purchase a two ATVs. They will be for an 8 year old (will be 9 in December), and a 6 year old. What size range (approximate) would you recommend? For their size, I figured about 50cc, but they will outgrow that size fairly quick, I would think! A 90cc would be better as far as not outgrowing them immediately, but do you think the 90cc range would be "too much" for them?

I sort of wish she would a few years and just buy one that they could share, then they could have an ATV that they would not grow out of too quickly (maybe then, she could get a 125cc size). Anyway, what is everyone's opinion on size range for kids this age? If you had to choose between two brands what would they be? Thanks for any info.

Adam

Old 10-14-2004, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Proper Fit and ability to operate the controls are important factors. So is the age of the operator. Children under 12 are typically not ready for unrestricted throttle of 90cc quads. Some are, but studies show that they generally speaking don't have the decision making skills to keep them out of trouble. They often want to replicate the actions of the older riders and have not experienced 100+ pounds of quad laying on top of them. One quad between two different skill levels can be a challenge in setting the throttle stop for one and not the other...

Buying the right size quad allows kids to learn on a machine that they can master - rather then the machine over controlling the child. But the good news is that the popular brand quads hold their value well and when a couple of years old they are in demand for others wanting a lower startup cost.

Some standards exist such as having 3 inches between inseam and seat when standing on the quad foot rests. Being able to turn the steering to full left and right limits without raising off the seat, having hands large enough and strong enough to operate the hand brakes.

There really is no litmus test other than the State regulations if they exist and/or the Federal recommendations for age and engine size. (six for 50cc and 12 for 90cc) I've seen 10 year olds on 90cc machines have cry-baby temper tantrums and I've seen 6 year olds more mature in their battery powered jeeps. Parents have to make responsible decisions on what kind of motor sport toy they put their children on. Proper and immediate supervision, proper safety equipment and proper training are all important ingredients to a good decision.

We bought a Polaris 90 becuase of the numerious Polaris dealers in our area. Parts and service were important in our decision making. Honda is considered the most reliable and least trouble machines - although they are the most expensive. Post your inquiry in the Kids Quads forum and many will be thrilled to respond with more expereinced recommendations then I can make as we only had the one youth ATV.

When our kids were both under 12 - we bought them a two seater go-kart. They drove the heck out of that and they could ride together. Not nearly as hazardous as it was truely difficult to flip.

Old 10-14-2004, 03:51 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My choice in the 90 class, is the Honda hands down. It is a solid, time proven machine. It's not that big a deal to teach them to sift, either. But, as kids bikes go, it is a big machine. Most likely fine for the older one, but big for the younger one.

I have a 6 year old on the 90 right now. I can't see buying a smaller machine that she will outgrow quickly, but it means that she is limited only to easy riding, on fairly easy terrain. No desert cross-country rides with the other kids. I limit here to the lower gears, and that keeps the speed down.

My son just turned 11, and he is still on the 90. Although he is tall enough to ride the 250EX or Recon, he doesn't have the weight to handle the bigger machine, so he will be stuck on the 90 for a while longer. My point is that this is a bike the kids can ride for many years.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

TextI WOULD NOT GET THE ARCTIC 90. MY SON HAS IT AND IT IS SO SLOW IT'S UNBELIEVEABLE. WE HAVE HAD IT IN THE SHOP A LOT TO TRY TO GET THE SPEED UP BUT NO GOOD. IT RUNS EVEN SLOWER IN THE WINTER. MY FREIND HAS THE HONDA AND IT RUNS GREAT A LITTLE MORE MONEY BUT WORTH IT.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Uh, I think you answered your own question here... If she is willing to get two, then let her buy a 50 and a 90 class machine. Both boys can start out on the 50.. then progress to the 90 when their skill levels warrant it. I guarantee that will work better in the long run. I am going to assume you are talking about riding in your back yard or on your own property as you should note that if you ever intend to ride in other states or on public lands where they follow the "guidelines", neither child is old enough for anything over the 50, and you will not be allowed to ride them there. Statistically speaking, many children are injured every year riding machines that are too big for them as defined in the guidelines.

Also, because you have the 50, you can legally obtain professional training. I Highly recommend that!!!!! Lastly, make sure you get the riding gear to go along with the machines. Helmets, Goggles, Gloves, boots at a minimum. Always wear long pants and long sleeve shirts. MX pants and jersey are preferred. Chest protector and neck roll highly recommended. If the kids won't wear it religously, sell the bikes!

YOU NEED TO BE THE PARENT on this one.

Lastly, do not make the mistake of thinking an ATV is safe or can be used as a baby sitter. You need to be involved with the riding process, and in most states, the children cannot legally ride without direct Adult supervision.

I do not want to scare you, as properly equipped and trained riders can attain an acceptable level of safety.. but I won't sugar coat it either. the goal of many of us on this list is to reduce the numbers of injuries.. and yes deaths of children.. mostly caused by poor decisions, or lack of knowledge by the parents making the decisions. Please take time to educate yourself, and read everything you can get your hands on.. PM me if you need help in finding it online.

Now that I have talked about all the bad stuff, I want to welcome you and your children to the sport. They are about to embark on a journey of discovery that no stick and ball sport can teach them. It is an opportunity for you the adult to also become actively involved with your kids, and I highly reccommend you find a way to get one for yourself, so you can ride WITH them, not just watch from the sidelines. Next to fishing and camping, I don't know of too many activites where parents can share experiences and the fun right along with their kids.. You are in for some quality bonding time... Congratulations..

Old 10-14-2004, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

--Thanks for the input guys. The youngest one still cries around/gets mad/stomps away when he doesn't get his way, so that right there should tell me that he is too young for a quad. I think that maybe she should just buy them one, and when the youngest one gets older, he can use it too. We'll see what happens.

Old 10-15-2004, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Works for me.. and I applaud your assessment of your youngest's mental state and maturity level. ATV's are not wind up toys. they are not baby sitters either. If used properly, then can provide many hours of enjoyment and a means of sharing quality time with your kids. Used by a child unable to cope with the responsibilities these things represent, and somebody is going to get hurt or worse.

Too often as parents, we don't do an honest evaluation of our kid's abilities.. and totally ignore the mental part while focusing on the physical. Without knowing it, we tend to put our kids in danger.... If they are unable to accept the discipline required.. they need to stay off of them.. plain and simple. It may cause some wailing and gnashing of teeth, but you can still hug them and put them to bed every night.. something that many who didn't consider this cannot do after their child is needlessly taken away from them by an accident.

I don't mean to scare anyone with this, but it is the harsh reality of kids and ATVs. We owe it to them to make that assessment, and decide if they are ready or not. Making them wait can be a big motivator as well... and it lets you see just how high their interest level is.

Old 10-16-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

What 90cc class ATV should he buy?

I bought my son a new 2004 Polaris Predator 90 for his 5th Birthday and he's been riding it for 6 months now and he loves it (duh) but he worries me while he rides it. I should post some pics of him on it one of these days. He likes to get all crazy on it ( like daddy [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] ) and when it's your kid getting all funky on a bike it's not the same as someone else. My son like to do donuts, lift his hands off the bars, lift his feet up and what ever "trick" he can think of. So far he hasn't hurt himself seriously /prays.......

I did let him flop it over once but I knew he was going to do it because it was winter and he was sliding around this corner and the dirt patch was getting larger and larger. So I stopped his riding and "fluffed" up the snowbank on the outside of the corner and let him go at it. Sure enough he went sliding around the corner, hit the dirt patch and flopped it over biggernsh!t.. I let him bawl for a bit then went and picked him up. We talked about what had happened and how come it happened. (mommy was totally freaking out, almost had to slap her to get her to let me have our son flop the quad over [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ) Well he slowed way way down after that and now he knows what happens if he wrecks. He has flopped it over once since then, went over the handlebars once and fell off once but has gotten right back on. He is a good rider now but the throttle is still restricted to 50% and will be that way for a few years. He NEVER EVER rides without me watching him like a hawk, when we ride together he follows me exactly and doesn't wander. ( I keep his attention with sudden stops, he doesn't run into the back of my quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

My Son however is not your typical 5 year old, he actually listens and minds, he is very disciplined (raised by hand [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] )

I do not recommend a 90cc quad for a typical 5yr child, if your kid had a "knack" for riding and listens then perhaps you can justify a 90cc and let him grow into it but this is risky. You must realize that a kid can die quickly on an ATV, only a brief moment of inattention can kill them. Someone in my area can testify to this as a young girl recently died on an ATV. She was last in line following some other quads and she didn't make it to the house, they went back moments later and her ATV was on top of her and she was dead....

Think twice about kids and ATV's, be ready for the commitment to watch them every second they are on the ATV and keep the keys in a safe place when you can't watch them ride.