Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New to the Forums...Warrior, Raptor, or 400ex?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 01:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the Forums...Warrior, Raptor, or 400ex?

Hey all.
Im new here, and am planning on buying my 1st ATV this spring. I am 24, will be primarily riding on trails, but am planning on doing some desert riding when I move to California in a year or two. I have never ridden anything better than an old (87ish) Kawasaki Bayou 220, so speed isnt a real issue for me yet, as I am pretty much a novice as of now.
I have it pretty much narrowed down to a Yamaha Warrior, Raptor, and a Honda 400ex. Thing is, I really want reverse, and the 400ex doesnt have that (dont know if the raptor does or not, but I know the Warrior does). Can anybody recommend one over the other? Any knowledge as to the reliability of each would be helpful, as well as personal experience. My main interest is reliability, as well as performance to some degree...I just dont want to get bored with it once im used to it.
Im planning on getting an 03 or 04 (Used) and spending no more than $4000.
Any help at all will be appreciated.
Thanks!

Old 11-12-2004, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

I would defenatly get the warrior out of your list, it's slow compared to these two, though it's bulletproof. The raptor is a good machine to start with because it's easy to use. It's fast and handles pretty good, also reliable if you get a 2002 and up model. Dont' think about getting the 2001, it had alot of problems. And yes it has reverse.

Now the honda, it's very reliable, good handling, less speed and power than the raptor. Though it's a very good machine, but doesn't have reverse.

You should consider a Suzuki Z400, it's also good, it's faster than the honda but not as fast as the raptor. It has better suspension than the raptor and honda, and reliable and w/ reverse.

I'll personally go with the raptor.

Welcome to the forums!

Old 11-12-2004, 12:54 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For desert cross-country, you want a solid, reliable machine, that will get you back home at the end of the day! In the dunes, you want big power because the sand robs so much.

Do NOT get a Warrior! I rode one for years, and was never so happy as the day I got rid of it and got a 400EX! They are big time old school and way underpowered, handle heavy and clumsy.

The Raptor has great power, but it is narrow, tall and a bit tippy. I would have to spend $$$$ to widen it both front and rear.

The 400EX is a great machine. Handles well and is the standard in reliability. But, underpowered by todays standards.

So, that leaves the Z400! It's a 400EX with a lot more motor!

Old 11-12-2004, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Guys! I really appreciate the advice. I am definately going to look into the Z400. Im pretty unfamiliar with Suzuki, but for the most part, I hear the Z400 is a good machine. Im just wanting enough power that I dont get bored with it after awhile. I will probably ride the Warrior at some point anyway, just to see how it is, but I have a feeling it will feel "sub-par" in comparison to everything else im looking at.
What about the Raptor 350? Isnt that basically an updated Warrior? IE-Same Engine, but updated plastics and suspension?
Thanks Again!
Nick

Old 11-13-2004, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Don't go with the raptor 350 also. It's also the same as the warrior, but some little changes. If you with honda's 400, suzuki's 400, or the raptor you wont get bored at all. These are great machines. Go to a dealer and sit on one, to see which one you feel more comfortable.

Old 11-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I plan on sitting/riding all of them before buying.
Another thing...I saw an ad for a Bombardier DS650...anybody know anything about those? They look sweet, have a tach, and are the "fastest quad on the market." Doesnt seem to have reverse, but it still looks awesome.

Old 11-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

The bombardier, is also a good machine, but no reverse. It's one of the heaviest machines too, you may not like that. It's a little faster than the raptor, in some cases, but not a big difference. If you do tight trails, you're not going to like it beacause it's to wide.IMP. Though these things could be hooked up really easy to go very fast. If you're smaller than 6 feet, your not going to like it, it's mostly for the big guys.

Overall great machine.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

Point well taken. Yeah, I had never seen it in person, and in the ad, its hard to tell how big it is, but I was guessing its big considering its 600cc+.
Im about 5'11" and roughly 170-180lbs, so thats probably too big for me.
I'll probably end up with a 400ex, or a Raptor 660...not really sure yet.
The 'Test Ride' will most likely decide it.
Thanks to everyone that replied to this thread, and I welcome any more thoughts/suggestions.
Nick

Old 11-15-2004, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider

No problem, if you need any more info. PM us, or reply again.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2004, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

ive been riding a blaster for a few months now and if you are going to ride trails or dead ended areas get the raptor. REVERSE IS KEY.
trying to push the blaster around without getting off it gets old quick. IMO the z400 is the way to go. handles like a dream compared to the raptor. one of my friends has a raptor and the other has a z400, both are jetted with a pipe and the raptor pulls only by 3-4 bike lengths on 1/2 mile races. I myself was looking inot buying a 400ex but since they don't have reverse im getting the z400 instead. great bike imo.

Quick Reply: New to the Forums...Warrior, Raptor, or 400ex?