Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Another Newbie, sorry!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Newbie, sorry!

Heidi,
U really need to get some input from Ur husband on what he prefers. Would hate for U to spend some hard earned money on something that he or U are not happy with. There is such a big difference between most Utility quads and Sport quads that if a person has one but wants the other they will not be happy. Sport quads can go most places Utilities can go with pleasure, but I have seen Utilities at tracks or dunes wishing they where Sporties. I agree with the FlyCowboy on Raptors (660 and 350) but am also biased towards the Suzuki LTZ/Kawasaki KFX/Artic Cat 400 as being the best all around quad out there. If U can find an 04 quad for $600 to $800 below MSRP Ur getting a good deal. One last thing most Sport quads have clutches and most Utilities are auto's, and come over to Puget Sound Area riders where there is a ton of knowledge, opinions, and maybe even test rides available,

Old 11-16-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Grizzly 660 and I love it. Now I want to get my wife the Kodiak 450 then we'll be set.

I plan on taking trips all over the place, many of my "Dream" destination places (Alaska for example) woudn't be suitable for a sport 2 wheel drive machine.

From reading your discription of you and your husband it screams utility quads. Since you also want some sport to your quads I would suggest a Utility Quad that is sporty to ride

I ride very aggressive, but differently on a Utility. On a sport quad I find the "thrill" in the speed. I'll blast off mountian roads and trails badically giving ATV'rs a bad reputation ][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] On a Utility quad I find the same amount of "Thrill" but in a different way. I find the "Thrill" in going places I havn't been able to before. I enjoy getting to the top of a mountian with no roads. I enjoy the "Ride" more than the rush of trees bluring past in a green fuzz.

Also, if you get him a Raptor and you a Utility then you'll be wanting to ride in the different ways I mentioned above.

I can reccomend the Grizzly 660 for him, and the Kodiak 450 for you. Both are lightweight and sporty for Utilities, and you'll go more places then pure sport machines. Both would be excellent for camping.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the great input! I called my hubby's buddy last night and he really thinks he would want a 4x4 and one that can hold a rack as my husband likes to carry stuff with him wherever he goes. He won't be so much into speed as he will trails, hills, etc. Saying that I am thinking for him either the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 or the Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4. I was told the Eiger is a big ATV and I think he would like that. Any input on the Big Bear?

As for me I don't really need a 4x4 and go probably go either sport or utility or a combination. I like the Ozark 250, Yamaha Bruin 250 and the Suzuki Quadsport 250. I just wonder what quad would go best with what I want to get him, or does it matter? I also want to make sure a 250 will be enough for me as I don't want to have to go buy a bigger one in a year or two.

As usual, all input greatly appreciated! :-)

Heidi

Old 11-16-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro Rider

I would hate to see you get the older Big Bear with the shifter. They are slow slow slow and he would get bored with it.

Do the new big bears have belt drive? I thought they did away with Big Bear and went Bruin, Kodiak, Grizz.

I'll look at the Yahama website.

BrB

Old 11-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer

I am not sure. I do know that he does not want an automatic transmission though.

Old 11-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Well Heidi as for YOUR quad you wanna get, the Suzuki 250's are nice but in about a year you'll probably want more power!! Thats what happened to me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] w/ the 300, we've had to pump it up to satisfy me for now till I can afford something w/ bigger CC's I think you would REALLY like a Kodiak 400 or 450, I have done some play racing/jumping(don't recommend it LOL) & it's just a FUN quad, you can slide it around corners if you want it's a pretty good all around quad I think.
Now as for utilities that aren't automatic??? Hmmm not sure on that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I still recommend the 05 400ex & 300ex you guy's will have reverse & shift [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well as much as Im a Yamaha fan I would get that Eiger 400 4x4 AUTOMATIC over the bigbear, but I would Definatly get the Kodiak 450 over the Eiger for sure.

The Bigbear has 5 speed auto tranny, everyone I've ever seen ride one of those things HATES them
Eiger has no Diff-Lock, but you can get the CVT belt drive if you choose that model

Kodiak has belt drive, 4x4 Diff-Lock, and more power!!

Old 11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Yup like Dirty dude said. I would get in the 4x4 either the Kodiak 450 its a lil narrower and will fit across all the bridges where the Grizzly 660 is gonna not fit With after market wheels n tires and you'll have to do some creative winching and what not to get around them. Not that there is anything wrong with that [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Like i said i have a raptor 660 that i love for trails just sometimes i wouldnt mind not gettin so wet and dirty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I know what a puss right [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] we have a sportsman 500 and they are pretty fair machines but (Im Kinda Anti Polaris, Dont like their 4wd system)

Old 11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Trailblazer

I think the hubby wants a manual tranny. I don't care either way. What are the pros and cons of each?

Old 11-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

If he really wants a manual then he wants a sport quad Like the raptor 660 or Z400, If he wants a 4x4 an automatic 4x4 is waaaay better there still fun

Quick Reply: Another Newbie, sorry!