Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

$39 a month offer

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $39 a month offer

I've been thinking about this request for a couple of days now... and I can't help but have a little problem with the whole deal... It isn't an issue of financing.. becasue frankly, you always have options to do your own deal... Yamaha is only trying to accomodate everyone with an offer like this.. and judging by the fact that thousands of people take advantage of this offer every year, it seems to be working... But my problem is with the whole "I want an ATV deal" that Junior is trying to pull off. First of all, what ever happened to earning your own money and saving up a good chunk to put down on it? Just how bad do you want this thing?

It sounds like Mom and Dad are trying to accomodate your request, but are not blessed with tremendous amounts of expendable funds.... top that with your request for what has to be the top of the line... i.e. most expensive sport ATV on the planet..... and all of a sudden, I get this smell of selfishness going on.. mixed in with a little bit of being spoiled...

I hate to say it, but I think you need to re-evaluate your position in life.. and make things happen yourself... You can also consider a less expensive machine.. Like a blaster.... less than half the cost of the other machine...

Just remember, it is way more fun RIDING a cheaper machine than to have to WATCH your buddies have all the fun while you stand by waiting for your mom and dad to go down the dark path with more credit debt. Time to grow up sport...and take off those rose colored glasses...

Old 12-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Range Rover

Bingo, D-butt. Handouts and freebies never mean as much as when you work for it yourself. Our first quad was a 99 Blaster that was 2 years old. I told the boys we need a new roof. We can have it done, and no quad, or do it ourselves and with the money we save buy the quad. So we did it. Good father-sons bonding experience. The roof thing sucked, but the quad was a lot of fun!!

Old 12-09-2004, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I can sympathize with the parents here.. As a dyed in the wool baby boomer.. I know what it was like growing up in a family where there wasn't a lot of funds available for recreation.. We had to devise our own entertainment.. way before PONG and space invaders were on the market. When we wanted something, we worked for it.. .. whether it was mowing grass, cleaning out garages and gutters.. you name it, we did it. Many times we worked all day in some little old ladies garden for a quarter... There was no instant gratification in my childhood... And I owned go-Karts, mini bikes, motorcycles, a snowmobile and a quarter midget all before I was 15. I even owned an enclosed snomobile trailer before I was old enough to drive.... but I worked three or more jobs in the summer, and one year round starting when I was 12... (Grass mowing, fence and barn painting, bagging in a grocery store, selling soda and popcorn at the local race track) All of it was hard labor, none of it killed me.. and I still managed to maintain honor roll grades in school. ( A prerequisite in my house)

BUT, I admit to giving my children everything they ever asked for. And I have seen first hand the lack of respect a child can have regarding "things" they received when they didn't have to sweat for them....All that does is leave them unable to cope with life after mom and dad.... talk about your real life reality show...

I don't feel neglected by my parrents.... in fact I thank them for making me a better person for it. And trust me, I enjoyed each and every toy I had.. and I knew the pain and suffering that it took to EARN them too.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:10 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

In our house the dirt bikes and riding gear were provided by me for the boy's(now 17/18). There were certain requirement's that had to be met so that they could use the dirt bikes( School work/ grades/ and their attitude) The bikes were always bought used and made safe. Graphics etc were bought by them. I also would buy "generic gear" for them, not the most stylish and no factory riders ever wore this brand either. If they wanted to trade up to "better gear" I would allow them to pay the difference so they could have a upgrade. I told them that there were responsibilities in life that went with recreational activities. It has proven sucessful in my house.

Old 12-09-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: RSeb
I guess I'm the minority here, but I look at ATVs as a toy. I don't think you should finance a toy. Toys come after all the bills are paid. Toys are bought with "disposable" income. If you can't afford to pay cash for the toy you want, you either buy what you can afford or keep saving.

Just my opinion. Feel free to tell me how wrong I am.

RSeb
Agreed! Save your pennies then go buy your toys. It will end up costing you less in the long run. Unfortunately most people don't see it this way.