Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking for a quad, for a big guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for a quad, for a big guy

Originally posted by: iiijay743iii
I paid 5g out the door with a 170$ helmet and goggles. I know that I could ahve gotten him down to 4800 out the door if i really really wanted to, but the price was fair, the rappy only has about 10 hours on it, the tires are still brand new, it also has a dg rear bumper... hope that helps.... are you a first time rider?
Thanks for the info, did you buy it at a dealer and if so who? I have only been riding for six months or so. I used to ride as a kid but just got back into it after twenty years. I'm 32 now and am glad I got back into it. I bought a 2004 250ex about six months ago to get the feel back. Good bike but I soon needed more power so the wife took the 250 and I bought a used 400ex. I was smart and got the wife hooked early. I like my 400 but I really want reverse for trail riding, I'm tired of dismounting to get myself out of jams. I just joined the CT Motocross track in Rocky hill so I'm looking forward to getting on the track and being able to ride without hassles as there aren't alot of places around here to ride.If you're ever interested in hooking up for a ride, let me know. I'm planning on travleing to MA to ride their state parks this summer. In the mean time, I'm looking to trade in my 400 for either the Z400 or the Raptor. I really like the Raptor but I'm concerned that it won't be good on the track. Let me know how you like it. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2005, 02:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
I guess I should be thankful that you didn't buy a gun for hunting and found out that hunting was illegal.

The point is this... CT has a problem with trails being closed because of people with the same attitude getting the locals upset.. and when they complain, you lose riding areas. So in effect, these stunts on the road are part of the cause.. you only have yourself, and other like minded riders to blame for no legal trail system. Of course it sounds like you don't care anyway... so I guess we wont need to fight for your rights to ride there....
Well first off hunting isn't illegal, and the state provides land for me to hunt on. 2nd if there wasn't any land I'd be hunting on my own property if it was large enough!

WRONG, CT does not have a problem with trails being closed or losing riding areas! THERE ARENT ANY LEGAL AREAS TO RIDE, and the haven't been any since I got my first quad when i was 11 (9 years ago). Ask the dealer and he'll tell you many places to ride with an asterik** watch ur back for flashing lights**
I am not part of a problem, the problem is CT doesn't take any of the money that it costs to register an ATV to maintain/build trails. Also they haven't set aside any land for us. This leads to power line wheeling which is a 100% illegal and where most get in trouble. But EVERYONE that I have ever met that rides (whether ATV'S, dirt bikes, or 4 wheeling in trucks/jeeps) always mentions the power lines. Now back to my riding in the street. I was on an empty street with NO houses lining it, just one driveway that lead to condo housing set way back. It was also on the way to my trail. I was not ripping up any residential streets or anything like that.

And in my buddies neighborhood it is "allowed" by the residents to ride ur bikes around the neighborhood as long as your not exceeding the speed limits and endangering someone else. But they have no problem with him doing wheelies down the st duting the day as long as he isnt being obnoxious.

Oh btw if any one wants to fight for riding rights in ct feel free to e-mail me iijay743ii2003@yahoo.com. Or If you need insurance in CT feel free to drop me a line.
www.abcinsuranceonline.com
**(800)3447365**

Old 03-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: dinaps
I paid 5g out the door with a 170$ helmet and goggles. I know that I could ahve gotten him down to 4800 out the door if i really really wanted to, but the price was fair, the rappy only has about 10 hours on it, the tires are still brand new, it also has a dg rear bumper... hope that helps.... are you a first time rider?
Thanks for the info, did you buy it at a dealer and if so who? I have only been riding for six months or so. I used to ride as a kid but just got back into it after twenty years. I'm 32 now and am glad I got back into it. I bought a 2004 250ex about six months ago to get the feel back. Good bike but I soon needed more power so the wife took the 250 and I bought a used 400ex. I was smart and got the wife hooked early. I like my 400 but I really want reverse for trail riding, I'm tired of dismounting to get myself out of jams. I just joined the CT Motocross track in Rocky hill so I'm looking forward to getting on the track and being able to ride without hassles as there aren't alot of places around here to ride.If you're ever interested in hooking up for a ride, let me know. I'm planning on travleing to MA to ride their state parks this summer. In the mean time, I'm looking to trade in my 400 for either the Z400 or the Raptor. I really like the Raptor but I'm concerned that it won't be good on the track. Let me know how you like it. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2005, 04:57 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: dinaps
I actually bought mine at a suzuki dealership, one i trust a lot, If you plan on getting a z400 let me know and I'll see what I can do.( CT Power and Sport) Wallingford.

Well the z400 handles better as everyone will tell you. My rappy though has so much frickin muscle in her its ridiculous....What will you primarily be using it for? track? Also whats ur weight and height?
Yea I'm deg going to paragon this summer with my jeep and quad and doing a weekend thing... I'm new to atv's my self as I havent ridden one in about 5 years, and am just starting again. But keep in touch I've got two good friends with Z400's so they're always up for a ride as long as we can all find time.

Old 03-22-2005, 12:12 AM
Trailblazer

I'll be useing it mostly for the track but I plan on doing quite a bit of trail riding in MA this summer. I'm 5'11' and 185lbs. I know the Z400 would be better for the track but the 660's power has definately got me leaning towards it. How is the suspension and do you think I'd be happy with it on the track? I'm off all summer so let me know when you're up for riding. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

well the z is def a better track machine, but if ur not racing and u want the power the 660 is great. You could always add 2 inch wheel spacers to get rid of the "tippiness" they claim it has...those can be had for under 200$. But I can't explain the power it has....Well i guess i can, its ridiculous lol. Now I haven't been on the track with mine so thats a tough call... I think I'd have to pass on this question and let the more expierenced riders answer it.....sry. oK well this summer Ill def drop you a line and see if we can all go on a ride together.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the info. Good luck with the new machine. I keep you posted on my decision.