Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport or Utility ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 01:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport or Utility ATV?

I am having problems deciding which type of ATV is best for me. I am a new member to the forum but have been riding ATVs for many years. I am wanting a bike that I can have fun on riding on trails and possibly racing in some hare scrambles or something of the sort, but I am also a hunter and need to be able to use the bike for hunting purposes.

Idealy I would want something similar to the Kawasaki Lakota that was produced about 5 years ago, which was on a mojave suspension but was a utility type ATV with racks and larger fenders. I am looking at the 660 Raptor and the Kawasaki KFX 700 in the sport bikes and the Brute Force 750 and Honda Rincon 650 as far as utility.

My major concern with the sport bikes is that I will get too dirty while heading into the woods, but I can fabricate a rack for each with little problem (are there any front mud flap attachments available?). I am worried that the utility bikes would be too big to play around on and the suspension feels very soft on them. I rode a Raptor yesterday and really enjoyed the ride, but I don't know how easy it would be to put around on it in the woods. I have not ridden the Brute Force or Rincon.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

I would say look into a sport utility, like a wolverine or a scrambler, but it sounds like you want something with a big engine. Maybe a suzuki vinson might be worth taking a look at. I wish I could help you more.

Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: gahunter22
My major concern with the sport bikes is that I will get too dirty while heading into the woods

Maybe you should take up swimming or some other....uhm...cleaner sport? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-04-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

The Wolverine would be great for you except for the mud protection. I used mine for hunting. One farm I hunted I had to ride through some cow pastures. I always tried to dodge the cowpies but I never could avoid them all. When I'd hit one I'd have that stuff splattered half way up my leg. ( at least I didn't have to worry about cover scent) Maybe if you installed mud flaps you might stay cleaner on the Wolverine. There are several ATV's that would give you that fun sporty type ride and serve your hunting needs. Some you already mentioned such as the Rincon or Brute Force. Also the Vinson that MnWolverine mentioned. Look at the 700 Praire. I hear its a really fast, sporty Utility. I have a Grizzly. Its fast and fun on the trails but also good for getting my deer out. I think you should go with a Sport/Utility instead of an all out sport machine. Good Luck!

Old 01-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider

A Raptor is a pretty serious sport ATV for someone unsure of having a sport quad! But you'll definitely have to make this decision on your own. I suggest a Polaris Scrambler 500cc 4x4 to many people who want diversity. They have plenty of power, speed and suspension for most sport ATV'ers but are easy to ride (auto) and have the convenience of 4x4 for mudding and such. Several people I know said the Raptor was a little too much bike for them because of the front end always coming up, but I have not ridden the KFX700. Goodluck with your choice, and I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 01-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I am going to take a different path than what everyone else has taken... First I want to ask you how old you are? And just how your body is holding up. The reason I ask is because, we all think we are capable of going racing.. even as we get to the point where the body can't pull it off any more... but I want you to do an honest assessment on your current and future abilities.

Next, you need to think hard about how the ATV will spend the majority of it's time... That should tell you which direction you should be leaning. I know people are telling you go sport, or Ute, or sport ute... You have to decide what is the direction you are going to feel the most comfortable with... If you build for today...you might find your needs have changed and be force to retool in a year or so... but if you build for the future, you can work towards that goal... The racing may be a novelty.. I think by your own words, you have admitted that...

So, if hunting is the future, choose with that in mind. Very few guys out there with cobbled up sport machines trying to haul an elk or moose out of the bush..

Think long and hard about it... I think the answer is going to come to you... Good luck

Dragginbutt.

Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the advise y'all. I'm going to continue looking and riding all that I can.

Dragginbutt, I'm 23 and yes, you are correct the racing is not a serious concern of mine...meaning I would do Hare Scrambles when the opportunity arises but I'm not planning on hard racing every weekend. I will probably split time on my bike b/tw hunting in the fall/winter and sport riding in the spring/summer. Thanks for the advise.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WolverineMan15666
The Wolverine would be great for you except for the mud protection. !

yeah, especially if you run 10 inch 589's it can get messy, but it is worth it.

Old 01-05-2005, 04:40 AM
Pro Rider

Strubby mentioned the scrambler, they are not a bad machine, but they have a lack of ground clearance and small tires. If you plan on going in deep mud or over lots of logs, you are probably better off looking elsewhere. Just test drive a few and good luck.

Ryan

Old 01-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Pro Rider

Strubby mentioned the scrambler, they are not a bad machine, but they have a lack of ground clearance and small tires. If you plan on going in deep mud or over lots of logs, you are probably better off looking elsewhere. Just test drive a few and good luck.
Just check out my pics and you'll see what the Scrammy can make it through. You'd be surprised.

gahunter22,

I would take a good look at the Brute Force 650 as well. It comes with the sportier solid axle (as opposed to IRS found on the bigger utility quads) and V-twin power. It is definately a sport utility quad and is the same price as all the 500cc quads!

Quick Reply: Sport or Utility ATV?