Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which ATV to buy

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ATV to buy

HI

I am planning to buy an ATV within the next week or so. I would like your suggestions on which one to get. Here are what I would be using it for.

plowing snow and driving in snow
hauling wood using a trailer
hunting and fishing---will need a high clearance ( for getting a moose in over the cutovers)
good in mud and wood trails
4x4
automatic
good on gas (it's 90.8 cents/litre here)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Clubber

Thanks for all the help. I have decided on a 2004.5 Porlais 600 Sprotsman.

Jim

Old 01-23-2005, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default Which ATV to buy

Hey Clubber,

Probably gonna want to look at all the big bores. Way the options of things like locking front diff, IRS (more ground clearance) or SRA. Things like ground clearance can be modified with tires and rims etc. Sounds like you are going to use it for heavy duty stuff so the bigger the better for you. You didnt mention a budget as that can limit your choices a bit. I just bought a 05' Brute Force 650. I researched for months and months before deciding. Its not the biggest but will do everything and more I will ever need. Do you have a fav brand. Kawa is a popular bike but the others are just as good when it comes down to it.

Let me know.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Range Rover
Default Which ATV to buy

Take a look at the Yamaha Kodiak and Suzuki Vinson also. The Honda Foreman has added disc brakes this year and would be a nice work quad.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Which ATV to buy

Thanks. I am thinking along the lines of the 2005 Grizzley 660. Its approx 10199.00 plus tax(Can). I only have a few companiesto compare because I live on an island off the coast of Newfoundland. I have about a 90 minute drive to Gander to look at a few brands. Yahama, Artic Cat. I am also looking at another place about 2 h ours drive and they have a few more there. But I wanted a few opinions on what to look for. I will be using the quad for work and pleasure. More opinions will help.

Clubber

Old 01-23-2005, 09:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Which ATV to buy

If you have a Suzuki dealership around, look at the King Quad. The EFI might be nice in the colder climate. It has the IRS and it's an auto.

Old 01-25-2005, 11:17 AM
Range Rover
Default Which ATV to buy

Whatever you do, do not buy a KawaSUCKI, unless of course you enjoy chicken-*** design and build quality.

You asked, and I answered.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:09 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which ATV to buy

avoid the King Quad.....theres a transmission issue....the bearing is welding itself to the shaft and tearing the transmission out of the engine casting after being used in reverse. There is no recall on it yet....so if you don't use reverse and have no problems you might use it after your warranty expires and get burned bad. That issue is gonna burn you on resale too unless they have a total recall and blanket unexpiring on the warranty for that issue (yea right.....)

Old 02-07-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which ATV to buy

The Grizzly you are looking at is a great choice. With the Grizzly, You get the front locker and low range. You will have lots of ground clearance. The Brute Force and KingQuad will have a bit more grunt but they might be hard for you to get your hands on up there in Newfoundland. By the way, Is the moose hunting really that good up there? A buddy and I were thinking of getting a guided hunt up there.

Old 02-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Which ATV to buy

Be aware of the king quad transmission issue. Here is a site which is threatening suzuki with a class action lawsuit. Sorry to look like an alarmist on this site....but this is a lot of money to put out for something with a problem like this..

http://www.petitiononline.com/KingQuad/petition.html