Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

your thoughts and suggestions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your thoughts and suggestions please

I am in the same boat as you...same size and weight. Having triouble between the Z-400, Predator, and the DS650. Just a thought to think about, the 05 predator DOES have reverse. it feels really nice but the handlebar setup is a little different....Cant say for the DS cause I have not sat on one but i understand it is big at first but you get used to it. Tons of speed and power too. I like the feel of the z-400 but have not taken it out yet for a spin. Man decisions decisions....thats why I dont have mine yet.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

been researching every review i can get my hands on and still get to the same bikes(z400,honda 400ex,raptor,yzf450). what does everyone think about the honda 400ex vs z400? price is very good over here in south africa for the 2005 model, going for a test ride of the 05 raptor and yzf 450 today, wooohhooo[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both the Z and EX. Suzuki copied the EX, and improved it in many ways. The Z has WAY MORE ENGINE. It is in a fairly mild state of tune in stock form, but hops up real nice.

I only pick the EX for really tight, slow trails. Its engine doesn't mind being lugged down and ridden slow in the technical stuff.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have gone and applied for finance on the yzf450, got time to change my mind, but i think i will be happy. quickly convince me if i am making a mistake[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2005, 10:51 AM
Red Rider

I love the YFZ on the track, for "play riding", and freestyle jumping, but I just don't like it as a machine for long cross-country rides. I spent an afternoon trail riding the YFZ (rough, tight trails), and was never so happy to get off that thing and back onto the Z! And at 6', you might be a little cramped.

Decide what your particular application will be. If you do a lot more play riding than cross-country trips, it might be for you.

Old 02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

reconranger, i think at the end of the day, i will do a few trails, but mainly its going to be playing around, learning to jump,wheeling sliding around. beaches and blasting up dunes.

sooooooo? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-02-2005, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Well it looks like I am late on this one.. but I had a question... Just where are you located, and what brands are available in your area? It sounds like you are on the African continent... One of the bigest deciding factors will be dealer support. It sounds like your riding will match up quite nice with either Yamaha product.... While you are in the dealer's, take a peek at the Rhino. If you really want to make the buddies drool, they can tool around on their quads while you pull up with the coolers of beer... now just who is going to be the most important guy out there?

Plus, there is room for a rider of the opposite sex in it...and room for a tent, grill etc... There are many sites that can give you hop up tips, and it uses the Yamaha Grizzly running gear.

Old 02-03-2005, 03:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks reconranger and dragginbut,

i will get the beer carrier for the lady soon,lol

is the yfz that bad on trails, or did you find it a comfort issue? i can deal with uncomfortable, but a bike falling apart because it shouldnt be there will make me pause for thought.

i sat on one and it just feels right, not to small not to big.seat very hard though. so it all boils down to it falling apart on trails, or will it hold up with the rest of the guys and a differant technique to riding trails?

thanks for all the informative posts so far, seeing how common this type of post is, its a damn tough decision.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:13 PM
Red Rider

The YFZ has stiff suspension that is tuned for the track, so it is a rough ride on a rough trail. Both of the 450's need to be revved out. That means you are doing 4,500 rpm and slipping the clutch when you have to go 5 mph.

Old 02-06-2005, 03:49 AM
Pro Rider

hey if you want to make your friends drool get a 250ex just kidding i think you would do alright with the 450 but i personally love the z400 because there are tons of mods for it