Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

newbie needing advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie needing advice

As a newbie to the sport I am looking for help on buying a new atv. I will be using this atv for hunting and work around the farm with a good bit of mud and water. I have narrowed my choices down to 3 a 05 sportsman 400,a 05 350 rancher 4x4 or 04 foreman 450S ,any feedback will be appreciated

Old 02-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer

all of them are good quads but the new arcticats i think are more reliable and better for all that stuff they have the mrp raks in which u can put stuff on for hunting,farming and quik release it to just go around and ride but there more soildly built i think compared to ur choices but im just a cat man lol

Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

All three are good. More important thing to concentrate on is finding a good dealer that can service you after the sale, and won't take you to the cleaners.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums.
Theres alot of difference between the three of them.
The honda s will have a manual tranny, solid rear axle, and be a low reving , low torque, work horse.It will have selectable 4wd, and 4 wheel engine braking if you want...you can choose when its in 4wd and when its in 2wd. An 04 will have drum brakes, and an 05 will have disk.The front differential is a torque sensing unit that works very well, but doesnt lock.Both hondas are air cooled.
The polaris has an automatic tranny, independant rear suspension, and likes to rev. Has disk brakes, and no engine braking, (in stock form), Its possible to add the engine braking, but it will only effect the back tires, even in awd. On the polaris, going to awd, just enables the 4wd. The system needs the back tires to spin, before the front tires get any power.In the front, the differential is a full time locker. The motor is water cooled
They are gonna be night and day different to drive. The polaris is much more comfortable, and simple to use. If you can, try to get some saddle time on each..some dealers will allow you to test drive them. I think one ride on each, will help to make up your mind.
It all depends on how you plan on using them, the honda is much more towards utility than the sportsman. Do you want belt drive cvt? do you want 4wd engine braking? do you preferr smooth ride over all else? Do you want a water cooled motor or air cooled?

Old 02-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

A good friend of my father just baught an 05 Sportsman 400, that thing is a working beast. it is suprisingly comparible to my sportsman 500. for hunting and work, it is really hard to beat a sportsman (hense the name).

but also like 'jfkfxdude' said those artic cats are good workers too, and good unting quads as well as some tough ones.

and 'hondabuster' explained things pretty well there.

Old 03-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Pro Rider

I think if a person were to stick to the major brnads, just about all of them will provide respectable service when cared for. Parts and accessories availability and service after the sales are important items to consider. You can always purchase something cheaper... it seems there is an ATV being sold on just about every corner these days.

But in the long run, I'd stick with those brands that understand and support the sport, and not just be in it for a quick buck. A good measuring stick would be if they were a participant in the ASI safety programs. You will probably pay more up front, but the final costs may be lower in the long run.

You hear it all the time... It is about time that we as enthusiasts choose to support those manufacturers that are supporting our sport, and helping make things better..... these are the guys that are in it for the long haul... and it always seems that we all end up back knocking at their doors at some point in time...

Old 03-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

what about a big bear?
or grizzly
it always turn into more then just hunting or working[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Pro Rider

I have to admit, even though I consider myself as a seasoned verteran of the sport, I am a bit puzzeld over all the different models that a particular manufacturer puts out there. Take Honda or Yamaha for example... the number of utility machines they produce these das, has t make you wonder if we really have these many different segments in teh sport, and if so, are the machines they produce and the needs of these segments all that different? It is getting to teh point now where they put a new bell or whistle on something and call it a NEW model. What ever happened to building one or two for a specific jb, and letting a person accessorize to meet their need. Also, if a certain technology is really an improvement over what they had before, why not put it on all models? Case in point.. Honda's hydraulic tranny...

Certainly, if the manufacturers were to consolidate their offerings, the general thought would be that they could be manufactured cheaper, more efficiently, the R&D costs could be shared, and ultimately reduced.. so the machines would be "cheaper" for the consumer. Honda's Foreman, and rancher lines... Why? What are the big differences on the trail? Now if one line had IRS, and the other didn't.. I'd understand... like Yamaha has done... but the differences in the Honda lines are so slight it is hard to tell what "family" to choose.

Anyway, I am reaching model overload... I don't know how the reat of you feel.. but I think some consolidation could be useful.
And where is that side by side marvel that we have heard rumors about Mr. Honda?

Old 03-01-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forums Mark![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Mark,

Well, I just brought home a new 05 Foreman 500 a few hours ago, so I'll admit up front to being a litttle biased... I'm not a big fan of belt drive autos. People say they are much better now (like the guy in the movie "Psycho") but when I picked up mine there was a brand-x that was only a couple of weeks old in the parking lot- with a shreaded belt. Dealer said the owners weren't too upset, considering they just dropped major change on a machine that left them hiking back to the trailhead.

The Rancher is neat for a smaller machine. I would also look at the 5 speed Vinson 500 or the Eiger 400. If you are looking at a Foreman, the 05 500 isn't that much more money than the 04 450, and it comes with nicer suspension, disk brakes, and a bunch of other improvements... New chassis and engine, not just a bore change and new plastic...

Just my $.02...

Good luck.

Quick Reply: newbie needing advice