Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best and Biggest EFI ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best and Biggest EFI ATV

First off, EFI does not make or break a bike. At this stage of EFI development for the atv market it can actually be more of a hindrance for modders. When they start coming with oxygen sensors and can remap themselves then we can talk, but until then its just another type of fuel tweaking. Unless you are moving from sea level to 3000 ft in a day or two of riding its not all that useful.

Second, each of the big bores is good and bad in its own way. You wouldnt buy a polaris 800 for gncc racing and you wouldnt buy a kq quad for heavy duty utility work. Yes each can do both, but they each have thier strenghts and weaknesses. The BF should not be counted out just because of the lack of EFI, unless the status symbol of it plastered on the side of your quad is your goal. They all have thier problems as well. The BF had an issue with poor jetting from the factory, the KQ has the now infamous reverse issue, and I would suspect that the 800 is not perfect either. (I havent looked into this machine much, but my cousin's seems to be running fine after the first month.)

I'm not sure why you need "raw hp" on a farm. HP is good, but torque is probably what you want. They are not the same thing, and the same bike does not have the most of both. Dependability is crucial I agree. In that case I would be waiting for the 06 models before I pick any of these up.

Old 03-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i Dont no why you say polaris has the most mantence because if you drive it like a fool you pay like a fool
so its not the the ATV its the driver

Old 03-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

sorry if i offended you guys about the polaris's maintanence but i used to own polaris and i used to work there. i still know alot of the testers and hear things first hand like how they are having problems with the horsepower being robbed on the efi's from driving them in dustier conditions. i am not talking bout lil horsepower loss they told me it is a significant loss. all the polaris atv's i have owned have been in the shop all the time being worked on and i to live on a farm. since i have had excellent luck with arctic cat and i have a lil suzuki an 87 that has been a sweet lil machine to. i am just saying that they are a lil higher maintanence then the others.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

gacollege,do you want raw horse power or raw pulling power? for raw horsepower you want the bf, for raw pulling you want the sp800,if you wan reverse problems get the king [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] i would not get the king untill the 06's come out cuz the 05 is to funky with the reverse thing.

Old 03-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior

Looking mostly for dependability and raw pulling power. Here are my thoughts on the non-EFI machines and why I wish to stay away. I have owed non-EFI ATV's in the past and they seem to start up great - until their is some age on them. Plus have to adjust the choke and spin the engine over until it cranks - have black smoke (unused gas) puff out the back can worry you on the condition of the motor itself ( piston oil scraper ring) and the waste of fuel.

Since I purchased my SP700 EFI last year - I am amazed how quickly the quad starts whether it is 15*F or 100*F. In addition the quad seems to be a little more fuel efficient, the spark plugs burner, and most important no need to fight with a choke. Now when the EFI quad get a little age on it…. I hope things stay the same. So far I am so impressed with an EFI quad…I probably will never turn back to a non-EFI.

Therefore since I will be making a purchase within the next few weeks I currently am leaning more towards the SP800 EFI. Nothing against the BF…I have owed Kawi’s in the past and at that time I though the world of them. However today with the features and benefits of each machine…the SP 800 EFI seems to be out in front of the BF (dual headlights, braided lines, front storage racks, EFI, stronger IRS, rails around the back storage rack) I know some of these features may not appease everyone – but for my needs they work.

My ideal quad? A larger bore EFI with the current SP 800 EFI feature with these ‘factory’ add ons – (1) a rear winch (2) brakes on all wheels (3) handlebar lever that control only the front brakes and handlebar lever that controls all brakes (4) rear luggage rack like on the Polaris ATP’s (5) run flat tires (6) headlights that work on high AND low…not either or (7) working digital fuel gauge (8) quick detach rear rack (for cleaning purpose). These are just to name a few – some of these are probably available on the aftermarket add-ons – but for someone like myself who does not want to tweak my ATV like I do my race car – these features would affect a buying decision.

Thanks for everyone’s comments!!!