Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bear Tracker Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Dr in a box
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bear Tracker Issues

Hey guys as stated before I just recently picked up a bear tracker for my wife, here is the issues i have noticed. I gave it a complete tune up, plug,oil,filter's and diff oil. rode it down the street this morning to see how it rides the problems/ concerns are as follow :

1) when shifting from N to 1st it lunges kinda bad

2) when shift sometimes its hard to shift into gear

3) the biggest issue is I noticed a burning plastic smell, when I stopped to look I was smoking from the top of the head, l couldnt tell the color but it stunk LIKE PLASTIC. I re-checked the oil and its now low with no signs of leaking. So I am assuming I am burning oil, could it be because if the oil ( I use rotella t 15w 40 since I use it in my other atv's) or is the motor bad any help its appreciated!!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:43 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

The centrifugal clutch is not disengaging properly. Most common reason, the tickover set too high. Some chokes are inclined to make the engine rev harder so make sure the choke is off. If it is still ticking over too fast, slow it down on the adjuster.

Something could be touching the head, either plastic trim, a wire or breather. However are you sure it isn't hot oil? This smells terrible if it leaks from the rocker cover onto the exhaust port.

Burning oil comes out of the end of the exhaust as blue smoke so, if it isn't making smoke there, it isn't burning oil.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:09 AM
Dr in a box
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
The centrifugal clutch is not disengaging properly. Most common reason, the tickover set too high. Some chokes are inclined to make the engine rev harder so make sure the choke is off. If it is still ticking over too fast, slow it down on the adjuster.

Something could be touching the head, either plastic trim, a wire or breather. However are you sure it isn't hot oil? This smells terrible if it leaks from the rocker cover onto the exhaust port.

Burning oil comes out of the end of the exhaust as blue smoke so, if it isn't making smoke there, it isn't burning oil.
Thank you for the reply, what are you referring to as the "tickover"? the idle speed? I did some better looking yesterday, the smoke is not only coming off the top of the motor but off the first portion of the exhaust pipe but stops at the heat shield. The smoke is so faint that I cant really tell the color but it smells like plastic and I do no see any visible oil just dirt. I read some where that it may be running hot but I put a drop of water on the head and it took several seconds to evaporate which from what I read is good. I know the carb needs adjusting because when you first get on the throttle it kind of bogs down but that should not have any thing to do with the smoke.. or would it?

Old 06-23-2015, 03:15 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 301 Likes on 295 Posts

Like I wrote before, it is the other end of the exhaust where you get blue smoke from a worn engine.

Something has dropped onto the exhaust near the head and is burning off. If it continues it is probably oil from the rockers, if it stops it may have been a tie wrap or anything that has fallen onto it from above. If nothing is touching the exhaust that shouldn't, clean the dirt off and check the joints on the rockers and covers for leaks.

Yes tickover is idle speed.