Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I NEED YOUR HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I NEED YOUR OPINIONS

I am trying to figure out which atv to go with either a Sportsman 500 or the Rubicon or the Grizzly

I found a Sportsman that I thought I wanted but it turns out it didnt have the 4x4 switch :-(

The ATV will have a 2up seat put on it and used mostly for trail riding and play not much work if any ;-)

Which one would be ideal?? for what I am going to use it for??

Thanks

Daniel

Old 03-10-2005, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

They are all fine machines. For your purposes, I would look hardest at the Grizzly, then the Sportsman, then the Rubi. Here's my take on these machines:

The Griz: Great all-around machine. Good ride, Excellent 4WD with locker, good power. It seems a little top-heavy to me, but nothing some wheel spacers wouldn't fix.
The Sportsman: Good ride, good stock tires. But, I'm not wild about the 4WD system it uses and it seems a bit tippy.
The Rubi: The only SRA of the group. Great worker. The best tranny of the group. Decent trail machine.

Of course, this is just my opinion - based on the research I did before buying my Rubi. If you had said you wanted to work with it too, I would give you a different answer.

Good Luck

Old 03-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

Originally posted by: 650cc
I am trying to figure out which atv to go with ...The ATV will have a 2up seat put on it and used mostly for trail riding and play not much work if any ;-)

l
If your going to ride two up ....

Im not a proponent of 2-up riding on a single rider quad. The two biggest issues are driver freedom of movement to both operate and balance the quad. Also the CG or balance of the quad in relationship to going over backwards as a result of to steep of a incline or to much power - or both can be a real problem. Some machines have a larger seat and the pax can sit ahead (barely) of the rear axle - which helps but there is more to it -

When we first considered riding 2up I never ever thought that we would take on conditions that would but us at risk. But one day I recieved near fatal injuries when we went over backwards on our Polaris 500 - with my wife breaking her arm. So on this topic I know to which I am speaking. I see where you live there are some pretty good hills. I was in Caribou for a few years so I know the region. Fabulous riding in your area in ME. Possibly the best in north america.

Several issues here-

One - with two people on a single rider quad (SRQ) egress from the machine if it rolls over or goes over backward is much more difficult. One person almost has to wait for the other to move out of the way. With machines 4 times heavier than the operator there isn't really any time to wait so someone is likely to get the machine on top of them. Usually the person last to exit.

You will be on the horns of delima between providing a pax back rest or box vs. keeping a rear exit clear for egress.

Two - if the pax is not moving forward on a steep incline - but is instead resting comfortably against the back rest - there is little the driver can do to counteract that short wheel base without sitting on the front rack. Rearward weight distribution is critical with short wheel based SRQ's. The additional wheel base of the factory designed two rider quads makes a HUGE difference.

Three - the pax has to have strong and secure hand grips and foot rests that let them have a good 3 inches of clearance from the seat to the inseam when standing on the foot rests. The pax can either add to the balance effort or substancialy take away from it. It isnt much help if limited only to the hand grips. You cant hang on and lean all that much without good leg support.

Four - Stability. You may have to upgrade the springs to stop the machine from rolling. The stock springs are not designed for two riders plus gear. Rolling to the side and/or being thrown from the machine represents 40% of ATV accidents. And a pax has a much higher CG then cargo strapped to the rack. Most of our body weight is above the seat - way above. So being under max weight doesnt always solve the problem.

Most State laws will not recognize a non-factory designed two rider ATV. You can modify it all you want - but it doesn't state "carry no more than ONE passenger" you may be in trouble. And trouble can come in the form of a ticket that gets reported to insurance in some states. It could be a very costly error in judgement.

My official opinion is to use a quad designed for two riders. They are not that much more expensive and to tell the truth - I keep picking the TRV over the Polaris when riding single also. Its a better ride. Your wife or other pax deserve the safety considerations and other design enhancements of a factory 2up quad. You can compromise - but it is a compromise to all of your safety.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Range Rover
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

I think I am going to go with either the 600 or the 500HO Sportsman [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

It wont have a passenger full time

Just now and then

I personally dislike the looks of the grizzly[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

And I can get a Sportsman cheap than a Grizzly [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

Sure hope that pasenger is not a child... I know we have all done it... and we were wrong...

Old 03-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Range Rover
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

No Worries [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The passenger would be my 14 year old sister[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

When I give any kids rides I always have them in front of me

Old 03-11-2005, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

Doh... now I am going to worry about you and the other kids all night......

Old 03-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Range Rover
Default I NEED YOUR HELP

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Doh... now I am going to worry about you and the other kids all night......

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]