Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help, Which new sport quad???????

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Which new sport quad???????

I currently own a Suzuki Vinson and am tired of a big heavy utility. I want to try a sport quad before I get to old and don't want one. I have ridden a z400 a bit and I like it but I don't like how small it feels (I am 6'0" 235) and how light the front feels, I also have ridden the 03 predator and it seems to always like the high rpms. The machines I really like is the Raptor, Predator and KFX 700. I need the quad to be comfortable and easy to ride and able to ride slow sometimes because I go on rides with other utlitiys and they are not that fast. I really like the KFX 700, I think the auto would be great, but the weight is my only issue there, I like the predator but I want something with low end grunt and the predator seems to like higher rpms. The raptor is great but I hear the front end is extremely light and it can be tippy. Some of you guys who have had some of these bikes let me know how they all differ. I will be riding trails, road, ditches, and sometimes it gets a little muddy. If I can't make up my mind I might just get a twin peaks. Thanks.

Old 04-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I must say you definately have a different desire in what you want in a quad, but that is great because now a days you have a lot more to choose from![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ordinarely I would recommend the Z400 or Raptor, but for what you are wanting I would suggest the Pred or KFX700. You know you can always put a lower gear on the Pred to your likings if you want more low end, plus I don't know what year or model Pred you rode but they have changed the gearing over the years.

The KFX being a little heavy is alright because it has plenty of power to compansate. To be honest from what you said, I think this might be the machine you might want to look more into. Im not to familur with them, but I heard a simple clutch spring change can do WONDERS for these bikes.

Hope this helps a bit, let us know what you do!

Old 04-07-2005, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. Has anyone owned both the kfx 700 and the predator and what they thought about them?

Old 04-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Range Rover

If you've narrowed it down to those two, I would just go to the dealer and see who can give you the best price. You'll be happy with either one. I've never been on a kfx700, but I will say that the Predator is very comfortable and does great on trails. They have made a lot of changes since '03 and you'll notice a difference just by sitting on one at the dealer. The TLD version has the best stock shocks on the market. If you decide on Predator, try and get the TLD edition (or LE if it's out by then). It's only $200 more than the standard, but has many times that worth of extras. Better tires, better shocks, and a closer gear ratio.

Old 04-09-2005, 04:25 AM
Pro Rider

IMO, at your size and if you feel the z-400 feels a little small, I would stay away from the Predator. It is a good quad and I rode one before I purchased my KFX700. I am 6'3" and 210 lbs, I felt cramped on the Predator, but it was a fast and fun quad. The 700 just fit me better and when riding it , it does not feel as heavy as it is.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Johnsonator I'm 6' and 200 and I have owned my V for about a half a year now. As far as the V vrs the Preddy, I think the Preddy wins in the comfort department. I think the suspention is second to none. It's just SO plush!!! The V is pretty harsh even for my weight.

Would I trade it for a Preddy? NO WAY!!! The V is such a good trail quad. The belt deal is great in the hills and tight trails that I ride. If you want more power you can add a little or A LOT. It's awsome. It also seems to fit just right. The other quads seem to be too small for me. The only other one I liked was the DS. It had no reverse so it was out.
Some, if not most riders like the smaller type quad to throw around, not me. For me the V is just right.

Someone said it a long time ago, and I will say it again: The V is not the fastest or the best ride but it is the funnest quad in the world to ride IMHO.
If you want to work the clutch and have a plush ride right from the factory I would get the Preddy. If you want to just have a lot of fun without the work I would get the V.