Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Probably a stupid question - automatic performance ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 04:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Probably a stupid question - automatic performance ATV???

I don't think you should be ruling out the utility class. The mid sized utilities these days expecially the 450 class feel more sport than they do utility and are much more versitile than any sport machine. I've owned both types and enjoy both types, but unless you are more race oriented, you may not be as happy in the long run on a sport as you minght be on a utility. I guess I'm partial to Yamaha's, so my advise is, try the Kodiak 450. It has speed and power, but it also has something the sports don't have, and that's versatility.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:14 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only time I can imagine anybody being happy with a ute is if they need to haul/tow or ride in mud/technical trails.

Or if you're an old geezer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Having a manual is no big deal. Again, unless you're an old geezer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

My advice would be match the machine to the terrain. What's it like?

Old 04-15-2005, 12:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Athens Archery Field Staff
Best lunch hour ever!

Originally posted by: Raptorlegs
Only time I can imagine anybody being happy with a ute is if they need to haul/tow or ride in mud/technical trails.

Or if you're an old geezer. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Having a manual is no big deal. Again, unless you're an old geezer! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

My advice would be match the machine to the terrain. What's it like?

Hey now! Not all ute riders are old geezers, some of em are Dumass's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. I wish I had bought a more sporty quad this time around. Next time I will.

I say look at the Z400 as it is one of the best all around quads going.

Old 04-15-2005, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

GTX-I see your bikes are 2wd, so I presume we aren't talking 4X4's here. I would agree that trail riding a YFZ isn't a great idea. But, you really need to ride a 300EX, the most nimble trail bike of all time! (What the XR250 was to dirt bikes, the 300EX is to ATV's.) You can put it in 1st gear, and idle through even the roughest stuff, no fancy clutch work required.
LOL, my opinion about automatics also comes from my 12 years of off-roading with Jeeps. First Jeep was a manual, never got another manual. The problem I see with the manuals is that when you get in sticky situations that require you to keep your momentum up such as sand, mud or snow. The manual transmission stops as soon as you pull the clutch or let off on the throttle to downshift. The automatics downshift (Jeep) or backshift (CVT) to keep the vehicle going. Once you experience the difference, you will never have another manual. But clearly, it depends on where you ride. Wide open fast trails might be more suited to a manual sport quad.
Bryce

Old 04-15-2005, 01:56 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.

Originally posted by: BryceGTX LOL, my opinion about automatics also comes from my 12 years of off-roading with Jeeps. First Jeep was a manual, never got another manual. The problem I see with the manuals is that when you get in sticky situations that require you to keep your momentum up such as sand, mud or snow. The manual transmission stops as soon as you pull the clutch or let off on the throttle to downshift. The automatics downshift (Jeep) or backshift (CVT) to keep the vehicle going. Once you experience the difference, you will never have another manual. But clearly, it depends on where you ride. Wide open fast trails might be more suited to a manual sport quad.
Bryce
While I'm not sold that they're the best performers, I love playing on my kids cvt. If I road on fairly flat hard packed technical trails, I'd want a cvt on my quad too.

For hard play or racing (or like you say "open spaces").....I'd want the manual. Sometimes, it's nice being able to hold that lower gear and to have more engine braking. Though it's debatable, I think you get faster acceleration out of a manual too.

Each to his own. There is a reason so many different models are made. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow - thanks for all the replies. If Suzuki made a CVT version of the Z400, it would all be over. Do you think we will ever see something like that?

I can see there is no clear answer, except to by a manual sport ATV for playing hard and a CVT ute for the other stuff. I guess that is part of the reason most of y'all have more than one quad in your signature. I could always try to justify a bigger automatic utility ATV to the wife, so I better get the hot rod first.

Old 04-15-2005, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

Excellent points Raptorlegs. Funny thing is, I expect my next quad would be a DS650 or a Predator for dunes and fast trails. LOL, I am not a fan of UTEs. But I don't think I will ever give up my Trailblazer for the slower trails.
BryceGTX

Old 04-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

You can put a Rekluse type clutch on a manual (hand) clutch sport bike, and turn it into an autoclutch!