Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport or Utility? Which is better for trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 04:20 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport or Utility? Which is better for trail riding?

Hello everyone. I'm not new here, but I need some advice. I've never owned an ATV but I really want to get involved this summer. I really wouldn't like to spend more than $3900 (used is fine) but if I need to, I suppose I could wait a little while longer. I really don't expect to do much utility work, so this ATV will be used to trail riding pleasure only.

We own 3 acres on the lake, and there are some fairly step hills I would be climbing. There aren't huge, but I'll need something with a little power.

I want to keep it short, so I'll try to list only some of my biggest questions:

1) Which is better for trail riding - Sport or Utility?
2) Do 2x4 Sport ATVs climb hills and drive through slight mud fine?
3) Are Sport ATVs powerful enough for most trails?

I'm leaning towards a Sport ATV since I'll be doing mostly trail riding, but I really don't know what's hot and what's not. Most of my knowledge is with utility ATVs. Remember that I've never owned an ATV before so I don't know much.

Thank you so much for all of your help!

Grace and Peace,
Clayton

Old 06-06-2005, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

I forgot to mention that I'm 14-years-old... 5ft. 7in. tall and weigh 135lbs.

BTW, I want a powerful ATV, but not too huge.

Old 06-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

a sport quad is better for trails by far IMO..a little much shouldnt stop a 2x4,as long as its only a little..as for hillclimbing,the only hills a 4x4 will be at a advantage is rocky muddy hills other than that a 2x4 climes just as good if not better.if you feel you need 4x4 but still want a sport type quad then check into the polaris scrambler 500's,im sure you can find a used one in your price range also..

Old 06-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Pro Rider

I'm going to save you some money and time.........."get a sport!" It seems like most people start out on utilities only to switch to a sport (unless your a hunter or farmer) and usually it don't take long. Yes a sport can go most anywhere a utility can go and be much more fun. There are places sports can go that utilities can only dream about.
For that price you could buy you almost any 400EX and maybe even a Z400. Used of course............Happy Wheeling! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My moto is, "never ride a utility anywhere you can ride a sport bike". For me, our utes are just "go anywhere sport bikes".........a last resort when the rocks get to big or the traction to sketchy.

The current crop of utes are for the most part ridiculously large and heavy. What most people really need is something along the lines of the Wolverine (but taken to the extreme). A sport bike that has 4wd to bail you out in case you get yourself into trouble.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go with a sport bike. You will be surprised where these things will go, especially with the solid rear axle(true 2wd) Sport quads are lighter/faster(for the most part)/and cheaper. You are light enough that something like a 300ex would be a great quad for you for a while, maybe even a Blaster. Good luck shopping!

Old 06-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the impute, everyone. Wow, I can't believe most of you think a Sport bike would be better. I've always thought I would get a Utility bike, but now that I've been reading and hearing of the advantages of Sport over Utility, I might just look for a Sport quad.

I think you're right too. I'm 14 years old, and for the most part, I want to have fun and go fast. I guess I need to start looking for a good used bike.

Too bad I don't have a lot of money, though. I made another $45 bucks today, but it'd really be nice if I could get another job someplace else.

But once again, thanks so much for the impute. Do you know of any good places to buy ATVs? Any good websites? What about an ATV recommendation (some of you did - thanks)?

Thanks everyone.

Grace and Peace,
Clay

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2005, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

a 400ex is the most user friendly i think. im soon picking one used one up for 3480 with nerf bars in good condition. thats from my local dealer

check your clasifys in your news paper.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:29 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably pick up a nice used blaster for $1500, give or take. For your size, weight and age, I think it would be ideal.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

Around here UTEs RULE and Sports DROOL...
I can go SOOOOO many more places with my ute then i can with my sport...
Utes make stuff look easy. Sport quads get stuck often. lol

Quick Reply: Sport or Utility? Which is better for trail riding?