Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ADVICE ABOUT CHILD PASSENGERS

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 11:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVICE ABOUT CHILD PASSENGERS

I have been wanting to get back into ATVs but now I have a 3 year old child. Are any of the new 2 passenger ATVs safe for an adult and a 3 year old child? I am a responsible and capable rider, just been away from it for some years and would love to be able to share the joy of an ATV but dont want to add any more risk to an already risky sport. Any info is appreciated!

Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think that the two-up machines will make much difference with a three year old.

You probably know all this, but riding with a child of that age means really tempering where and how you ride. Slow and steady and easy trails should be the rule. That's all a three year old needs for a fun and exciting ride anyway.

I saw a harness once (linked on this forum, I think) that strapped the adult driver to the child with the kid sitting in front. Seemed like a good idea. With a kid of that age, you need to be able to cradel them within your arms and legs as they donot have the strength to hang on behind.

Having a three year old is certainly no reason to stay away from the sport. You'll probably find that a few turns around the yard is the perfect riding area for that age. Then you can always go off on your own for some 'real' riding.

Been there - done that.

Jaybee

Old 08-26-2005, 05:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You can give a 3 year old enjoyment on anything YOU want.........heck my 2nd daugher at 3 years old loved to ride my 3 wheeler. I am tall so when I had my feet on the pegs, I could pinch her in with my knees, and she held on {had a helmet on too!!!!!!}.......I only went on the "easy" riding with her of course, but she is HOOKED!!!!!

ALSO......Welcome to the forum!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

im 34 and have 6 and a 3 year old. bought them a helmet and take them around the yard in low on the 600 and now the 800. dont need to go fast they just like being with dad. tried taking a trail once but they didnt like for too many bumps. just putt around the yard for a half hour with them and then i get to go play with the big kids!