Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 03:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions would be greatly appreciated

Hello

I'm looking to buy an ATV, primarily for towing my boat into smaller lakes, as well as out on the lakes during the winter. Basically it comes down to dependability.

I don't know very much at all when it comes to reliability between different brands and models, and would like to hear any good or bad thoughts you have about any of the quads I have been looking at.

The three I have been looking at have been:

1995 Polaris Magnum 425
1994 Kawasaki Bajou 300
1995 Polaris Sportsman 400

I know it all comes down to how it's been treated, how many miles it has and whatnot, but right now im looking for any information or good/bad experiences with any of these models.

Thanks for any help

Old 11-24-2005, 02:06 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Those are some old quads...i hope youre not paying much, repairing and buying parts for older quads can just about break the bank. Its also not much fun, unless youre mechanicly inclinded, because alot of the fasteners get rusty and seized, and even simple jobs like brake pad replacement, can end up an exercise in frustration. Most used quads are for sale for a reason...make sure you understand why they are for sale. The reason is usually, theres an expensive or difficult repair to be done. Not many people unload an old quad that still is giving good service, reason being, the price they can be sold for is so low...that if it works, why sell?

Sounds like you want one that can do some work...id say make sure it has at least 400cc, and a low range on the tranny really makes it nice for pushing the boat around. 4wd helps alot as well, especially in the snow.

If you really value dependability...get something newer.

Old 11-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking at mid 90's quads and want reliability, I would look for a Honda. The best bet for towing a boat in and out of water, especially in that vintage, would be a quad with a gearbox instead of a CVT and 4x4. Good Luck.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

FYI - Many have regretted using a ATV to launch or land a boat. The weight ratio is not good and it can become a problem with getting stuck - or even having the machine dragged into the lake. A jeep would be much better. Also - towing much weight on unimproved roads can lead to jack-knife and wheelie surprises. Good luck.