Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Buyin an atv for kids

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyin an atv for kids

i would suggest the trx 90

its great... have ridden one before

my friend has a rappy 80 and its f'ed up... bad.. wont start and we've tried almost anything..

the trx lasts great.. and with all the governers off and all it goes great... can almost top an old 200 fourtrax.. but with only 4 gears... the top speeds a little lower... but its great for kids.. especially because you can control waht they are riding..

Old 12-11-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

It depends somewhat on the child. I work with youth and get a lot of chance to read child development research. This is some of that –

A “average” 5 year old - has enough coordination to – jump rope. They may even be able to balance on one foot with their eyes closed or use a scissors without cutting themselves. Five year olds are just learning to tie their shoes and can stay inside the lines when drawing. A five year old is able to put their pants and shirt on without help and maybe knows the alphabet. Most 5 year olds cannot ride a bicycle and are still happy with a trike. Five year olds can become difficult, have temper tantrums and often consider fantasy real. They cry easily and have a wide range of tension-releasing behavior – some not so pleasant. A five year old is two years from the generally accepted age to have the ability to reason and concentrate.

And you want to put this tadpole on a motorized vehicle?

I’m often challenged to determine if it’s the child that wants this or if its the parent wanting to move the child into more grown up things that Dad can relate to and participate in. Having 4 daughters I can atest to that myself. Barbie dolls? Not. Go-karts – I was in!

When working with youth (12-15) during ATV certification I have determined that there is a remarkable lack of awareness of parents about the risk for their kids when they're riding ATVs. Many don't appreciate the dangers and the child is certainly unable to. The number of parents who can’t tell me how much the ATV weighs is unbelievable. When I ask the parent if I can have three men stand on there child’s chest to see what it will be like to have the machine on top of them – there is a new look in their eyes. The boys all know how fast the machine will go. Most parents don't beleive it when they hear it. Many have never been on one.

According to hospital accident reports for ATV injuries the youngest children -- those aged 5 and under -- are almost five times as likely as children between 11 and 15 to suffer severe oral or facial injuries from a ATV accident. I liken this to the child getting scared and riding full throttle into the nearest fixed object. I know – because my niece did this on the go-kart. A few facial stitches and a couple of teeth caps later – all we had to do was explain that to her parents… Not good.

When choosing a ATV for a 5 year old – one choice is to wait until they are closer to 7 years old when all of the gears in their little noggins are turning in the same direction. At least then you will have some expectation they should have some clue to what they are doing.

Good luck

Old 12-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Trailblazer

edited by atvconnection moderator