Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

which big bore atv to buy ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which big bore atv to buy ???

I really like the way the grizzly looks. I rode one and liked it too.Tha deal on the 05 is really interesting 1500 less than the 06. that is why i am in a loop.the kq seems like it has alot of problems. blue smoke, knocking engine.dead spot,tie rods bending,and expensive.the bf has a great engine but the hard starting issue is still iffy,soooo.i am goin to do more price shooping and see what i can get.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My main problem with the AC v2 has been it's engine, or more specifically the electronics associated with it. You also end up paying a lot of money for the same engine you can get in a much cheaper kawi brute force 650.

All 4wd systems require front tires to rotate to engage, some more than others. If you've ever owned a 4wd truck you probably have noticed this numerous times. Even the awd systems of polaris and bomb require front tire rotation to engage whether it was instigated by a push of a button/switch or the awd system itself. The problem with the kawasaki is that it doesnt go into 4wd quite as quickly as SOME others do, thus spurring on exaggerated tales by owners and internet jockeys alike. As I said before, the reliability problems are the most compelling reason not to purchase one IMO.

The AC H1 has gotten a lot of praise from owners and I believe they have worked out the kinks present on the first few production runs. I dont have any first hand information on this particular AC, but I personally feel that it warrants consideration. My experience with 300, 400, 454 and 500 AC's has led me to believe that they are basically an upgraded honda, very reliable but with more capabilities and much better suspensions. I have relatives in Wyoming and here in Michigan that swear by them. Then again, I've got one family member that buys a new polaris ute every couple of years because he wont ride anything else, he just so happens to be the son of one of the die hard AC fans... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

It appears to me that you've been very thorough in your research and put your hands on these machines. I just dont think that you'd be doing your atv search justice if you relied on anecdotal evidence to rule out the AC.

I've personally got a hard time recommending any one big bore ute. I've ridden most and owned or personally known someone who has owned many of them. Reliability is very scarce in this field and IMO we have to pay a high price for the extra power we want.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

As far as reliability, i fully stand behind honda. i personally own a rancher. all i have done is change the oil and basic cleaning. It has not let me down.the only thing keeping me back from gettin a rinny is no low gear and no diff lock.with lack of *****.Ican fix the lack of power but u cant fix the diff or no gearing.i just want a machine with no problems.i am too busy too ride let alone fixin the dam things..ah haaa

Old 12-04-2005, 03:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: 2sly4u
As far as reliability, i fully stand behind honda. i personally own a rancher. all i have done is change the oil and basic cleaning. It has not let me down.the only thing keeping me back from gettin a rinny is no low gear and no diff lock.with lack of *****.Ican fix the lack of power but u cant fix the diff or no gearing.i just want a machine with no problems.i am too busy too ride let alone fixin the dam things..ah haaa
I too owned a rancher and it was just about bulletproof, but understand that I draw a line between the big bore utes and the rest of a manufacturer's line. Companies that have reliable 300-500cc atvs still have very questionable big bore utility machines in the lineup. None of the big bores, including the Rincon (at least through 05) are free of unisolated serious problems.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

I really would love to recommend the King Quad over the Grizzly,BF 650, AC 650...since it has more features/power for almost the same MSRP but it's hard to honestly recommend it with this filter problem. But other than the junk filters the KQ is an awesome machine and IMO is more of a machine than the other's in the 650cc and 700cc class. I had the choice between the King Quad and the Grizzly back in June and I got the KQ for very obvious reasons (EFI, more power) and I'm still glad I got the KQ..I haven't had these blue smoke problems or really any other problems for that matter. If you were to wait a while for this filter issue to be resolved by Suzuki I say get the KQ for sure, but if not I'd recommend the Grizzly, probably more reliable now than any of the others since it's had the same design for so long, the new Rincon will have it's first year issues just like every other big bore, so if reliability is your biggest buying point I'd exclude it.

Old 12-04-2005, 04:15 PM
Trailblazer

Ok then ur sayin al bb utes are problematic. if so maybe i should get a 500 rubi or vinson?

Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

I was thinking of getting an 05 rincon, not the 06. i never like getting the first production year of any machine. its too much of a gamble.The KQ does sound like a good machine in the reviews,but the smoke issue worries me.It is too much moni too worry about changing rings.I saw a reall good deal on an 05 but saw too many problems with it.I cant believe i am still on the fence. maybe i need to shop some more

Old 12-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

I'm 99% sure the blue smoke is caused by the stock filters not sealing properly letting tons of dirt in which eventually wears away the inside of the engine, the wrong ring seems very far fetched to me in fact one of the guys that said he had the wrong rings later said it wasn't true after all.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:47 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 2sly4u
Ok then ur sayin al bb utes are problematic. if so maybe i should get a 500 rubi or vinson?
I have a good friend who got rid of a 2005 BF 750 and bought a new 2005 Rubicon. He loves the new Rubicon! I have never heard anything really bad about the Rubicon. My younger just bought a new 2006 Kodiak 450 about a month ago. He loves his new machine, too. I have never heard anything really bad about the Kodiak 450, either. I have heard mixed opinions regarding the Visnson though, but more good than bad. The Vinson is more expensive, I believe. So, you could get a new Kodiak 450, with IRS and locking front diff (both of which the Vinson does not have), for less money.

Old 12-04-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah if reliability is more important than power you should definitely go for a 500 class, but be sure and test drive anything before you buy it, I found out power was more important to me than I thought when I bought a 400cc Polaris, I wanted more power the end of the first day, but the Kodiak is better than my 400 was so...

Quick Reply: which big bore atv to buy ???