Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking to get an older atv... but need help choosing please

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get an older atv... but need help choosing please

Well, I have decided to wait on my utility atv for right now. In the mean time, I would like to get a used sport. I am looking at a few models, but since they are older, I cant find too many places to read reviews. For the amount I am wanting to spend, looks like I am bound to 01'02'03' and 04' models. Also, keep in mind I am a larger rider as in 200lb+ 6' tall.

Here are the models I am looking at.

Raptor 660
Z400
TRX450

I see a few 01' Raptors in my local trader for around 3k. I see quite a few 03' and 04 z400s for around $3500. I know the TRX450s will be a bit more since they are newer. Is there potential problems with any of these since they are older and used?

Thanks for reading.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:23 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably the best thing to do is make a list of what you want and need in a quad, like power, ergnomics (comfort,easy to use everything) accessories like electric start and such, then see which quads come close, then see if you can test ride each and see what really 'fits' your needs and style of riding. You should be able to do searches on this forum for any reviews of quads the guys and gals here ride.

Old 01-01-2006, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with 95wolv I bought what everybody told me to buy and in 6 years Ive been through 3 quads. Raptor is a good trial bike. The Z is a great bike but I only weigh 150 and the 450 honda is breed for race (I hear)! Decide on the details then size and go from there!

Old 01-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, i really would like to get on them and try them out. Getting one with enough power to move my weight was one of my main concerns. I read somewhere that the Raptor might be a little cramped for larger riders so they kinda worries me.

I do want electric start, reverse, good amount of power, comfortable is a plus.

Was 2001 the first year for Raptor?

Can someone suggest somethings to look for when purchasing a used sport atv? This will be my first and dont want to buy a lemon.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Alot of the older raptors had tranny issues, some were fixed and some werent. The newer ones are ok.
The 450r is probably not a good choice...no reverse no electric start, and if you dont have much sport experience...its a handful.
The z400, and 400ex(although no reverse), are good choices. The 400ex is a bit simpler to work on , and probably has a better reputation for being bulletproof. Neither will leave you stranded on the trail, and both are alot of fun to ride.

Whatever one you look to buy, watch out for modified examples. There are lots of low mile, unmodified quads out there...and they are preferable to one that was modified, and is now for sale. It always makes me feel something went wrong with the mods, and now they want to dump it, when i see one for sale.
The resale value is higher for unmodified quads, everyone looks to buy a stock machine.
If you do a google search, youll find there are many articles on the older quads, still on the internet. Or go the local library and check out the older magizines, like sport quads and atv action and dirt wheels. They usually keep 3 to 4 years of back issues before they get tossed.

Old 01-01-2006, 12:53 PM
Trailblazer

Your 6' and 200+ right, you might want to look into a ds 650 they are made for bigger guys but spendy and wide. they had battery prolems in the early years and you knid of have to boss them around but you could always just look. other than that I know 3 guys with raptors e is 6'2" and 265.... He liked it.One is high 200 close to 300 and it does him fine for trails after the yosh pipe. (he 400 ex is bulletproof ) Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I am leaning towards the Raptor and Z400. I was just a little concerned about the z400 pulling someone of my weight. Im not going to be racing so im sure the power should be ok i imagine. I do like the looks of the DS650, just dont see to many of them used.

OUA660, did the big guys with Raptors ever complain about the Raptor being cramped?

Old 01-01-2006, 02:49 PM
Trailblazer

Cramped? no and they ride alot in the summer. the great thing about the z-400 is it has a wide back half seat so when you powerslide your rearend doesn't hit the plastic less stress lines that way.. but no they have never complained........If you worried about power on a raptor look for lte exaust LOONY TUNES it is dual and has as much power as a yosh......