Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

atv insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv insurance questions

i just bought an 06 arctic cat 400 4x4 auto and have been looking into insurance but am left confused. i am looking for coverage on theft mostly but would also like coverage incase of fire vandalism etc also i would like some type of coverage that if i roll it down a hill and it ends up totaled im covered. does this even exist ive looked into full coverage but it covers injury etc which i get from work anyway if i want all this is full coverage the way to go and whos a good company to go with i live in mass and progressive doesnt cover in ma and my current company doesnt cover my atv unless i total it in an auto accident or it falls off my trailer thanks for you time

Old 01-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

i got american family and i think i am covered with all of that but i never looked into theft cause the chances of my atv getting stolen in this small community where everyone knows everyone is pretty slim. i am sure that you can do some searches on the net just try typing in atv insurance in a search engine or something just to see what comes up.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Allstate, and it is about $100 per year for comprehensive coverage (covers ANY type of loss) + about $30 for liability, for an expensive quad like the 450R. I take a lot of friends riding and some of them are rookie riders, so I feel the liability insurance is worth having.

Old 01-25-2006, 10:53 PM
Range Rover

Maybe insurance is different between Kansas and California, but Comprehensive doesn't cover ANY type of loss. Comprehensive covers things such as Hail, or other such acts of God, and running in to Deer or other such critters. It does not cover running in to trees, other vehicles etc. That would be "collision". Both are sold for any type of vehicle and you can purchase one without the other. Unlike road vehicles, Liability insurance is an ad-on for these ATV's. As for theft, when you buy the insurance, you put a stated value on your machine and your premium is derived from this stated value, plus any additional coverage you may wish to add, comp, collsion, liability, etc.

As an example, I called State Farm, and having a stated value of 5,000 for my new ATV, with comp and collision it would have ran 214 anually, with no liability coverage. I chose not to have such insurance, I am insurance poor as it is with 6 vehicles. As for theft, if it is on your property when it is stolen, your homeowners policy covers such acts. I live in a small rural community and was surprised at the number of thefts the Stat Farm agent told me about (3 for the year of 2005). I thought that was rather high for my area, considering there are about 10 other insurance agencies in town.

Now when I start going to these ATV parks, I might find out that it is required to have liability insurance, time will tell.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm by no means an expert, but I was also quite confused when I started looking at insurance for my quad. I became more confused when people were saying they only paid $100 or $200 per year for full coverage. Full coverage of what is my question? Liability is the one that will get you if you don't have it, and most people don't.

You need to ask your insurance company, starting with homeowners, if you are out riding and you go over a hill and there is a family on the other side you didn't see, if you hit one of them and break their leg, are you covered? Unless you have an exceptional homeowners policy, the answer is no. Next, you need to ask whoever is insuring your quad the same question. Each insurance company is different in how they write policies. JD mentioned that if a quad is stolen while at his house, homeowners covers it. That is not usually the case. Just like if your car is stolen from your driveway, it's your vehicle insurance that covers it. Quads are usually the same way. My homeowners policy will not pay out one dime on my quad for anything. So I recently purchased full coverage for it which include $7000 declared value, $50,000 in liability and $25,000 in property damage (if I hit a parked car for example). I went through Farmers as they have all my policies and it cost me about $400 per year.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

Progressive has a pretty decent plan structure and pricing. I pay about $200 a year for mine. And that covers everything - liability, comprehensive, and collision. I looked at some others and they wanted anywhere from $250-$500 for the same thing.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

well ive been looking into this and nobody does atv insurance in ma not sure why

Old 01-26-2006, 10:41 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Webopper
I'm by no means an expert, but I was also quite confused when I started looking at insurance for my quad. I became more confused when people were saying they only paid $100 or $200 per year for full coverage. Full coverage of what is my question? Liability is the one that will get you if you don't have it, and most people don't.

You need to ask your insurance company, starting with homeowners, if you are out riding and you go over a hill and there is a family on the other side you didn't see, if you hit one of them and break their leg, are you covered? Unless you have an exceptional homeowners policy, the answer is no. Next, you need to ask whoever is insuring your quad the same question. Each insurance company is different in how they write policies. JD mentioned that if a quad is stolen while at his house, homeowners covers it. That is not usually the case. Just like if your car is stolen from your driveway, it's your vehicle insurance that covers it. Quads are usually the same way. My homeowners policy will not pay out one dime on my quad for anything. So I recently purchased full coverage for it which include $7000 declared value, $50,000 in liability and $25,000 in property damage (if I hit a parked car for example). I went through Farmers as they have all my policies and it cost me about $400 per year.

I'm sure coverage varies state to state, but my state farm agent reassured me that if the quad were stolen from my property, it would be treated as any other tool or item (listed or not) under contents coverage (my contents value is 80% of my replacement cost for the dwelling). I was surprised to find you can buy comp, collision, stated value insurance and would still have to buy liability insurance. My liability isurance travels with me, as I have a farm policy. No mater what I drive, I am covered with liability due to this farm poilicy (pretty much required since I travel the roads from field to field in tractors).

It is interesteing to hear about your 400 premium, the way prices vary state to state. Mine would have been 214, should I have chosen to take out insurance with comp, collision, and 5000 stated value, that was no liability, but it was recommended not to purchase it as my farmers policy travels with me while I'm driving, no matter what I drive.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

I stand corrected on the home owners insurance policy. My agent just called and informed me that State Farm's policy does not provide theft coverage of any vehicle larger than 50cc.

I should also state that my farm policy's liability wouldn't travel with me to say out of state trail and such, just within the normal operating range of my farm, unless I could prove I was on a farm errand on my quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jd3020
I stand corrected on the home owners insurance policy. My agent just called and informed me that State Farm's policy does not provide theft coverage of any vehicle larger than 50cc.

I should also state that my farm policy's liability wouldn't travel with me to say out of state trail and such, just within the normal operating range of my farm, unless I could prove I was on a farm errand on my quad[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Wow, thanks for posting that. It further proves how complex things can get with all the insurance companies and their different coverages.

Quick Reply: atv insurance questions