Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

looking at 2 rider quads

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at 2 rider quads

Originally posted by: tgaisser
Thanks for all the great help. I am kindof leaning towards the AC right now. Anyone know of any big problem areas ACs have that I should look into if I decide to go with them? Hawkeye, what did you like about the X2? What did you not like about the Bombadier?
I think all TRV owners love their machines. It is dang near impossible to find a used one. They have ZERO problems that I know about, that longer wheelbase adds to a smooth ride too. Check the Arctic Cat section for more info on them. Good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

im looking at a two up now also. Although I am a big arctic cat fan I am leaning towards the new brp 650max. My AC dealer wants 7700 for the AC and I can get the bomb for around the same price. So with an extra 150cc's and EFI it seems like the better deal. I also like that the brp is narrower so it would fit down the trails better which is important with the atv already longer than normal.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

the bomb is narrower huh? reckon it will be stable in off camber situations? how much narrower are we talking?

Now to open a whole new can of worms: carb vs efi: I recognize the advantages of efi on automobiles: increased efficiency, emmissions, cold starting, overall performance. However, on the down side, if you have a component failure your likelyhood of limping home by rigging something is much smaller. So to me the question becomes whether or not I want to risk component failure of a system that is not user friendly on something like a four wheeler where your going to be in the middle of nowhere? Another side question is what great improvements does this system offer? Are the percentage gains worth the risk? An even more trivial question would be if you were to submerge the quad do you all think it would be harder to restart or easier? You have more electrical components but then again you dont have a carb full of water and mud.

Now I know that if its brand new its probably ok and hey, if you keep a brand new one all the time, whats the big deal. I however am the kind of guy that keeps things forever and a day, so it may be more of a consideration to me than most.
These are just some ideas I have been mulling over and havent come to any conclusions on. All responses are appreciated.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

tgaisser,
The brp is 1.5 inches narrower than the cat which is alot in tight trails.

As far as EFI, those are all valid arguments. I not sure one is better than the other but more of each being better in certain situations and what situations apply to you. it wouldnt be a mud machine for me becauase I have a cat for that. It would be a trail quad for the women and kid. I probably would barely ride it because I have other atv's I would enjoy more. But the benefits of EFI for trail riding out way than the carb benefits. EFI electronics tend be reliable anyways.any quad today already has electronics in it and they get submerged all the time without harm. Im sure any of the polaris EFI owners would tell you that.