Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help me pick one....

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick one....

Right - but the MSRP on those is still $7899 base on the 6x6 and is that the new style clutch or old style?

Old 02-25-2006, 12:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shipper, if $$ is a factor, I think you may want to look into a more traditional atv and buy a small trailer to tow behind it. Many of the big bore quads have plenty of muscle for those hills, and you can save a few grand over a Rhino/Ranger/etc... Some people are pulling small logs and such with traditional atv's as well. You are retiring? Is there a huge push to clear out this land? It all comes down to how big of a tool you want for the job.

Old 02-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Shipper
Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the tbx and was even given an out the door price here in Indiana of $8300 with plow and winch installed.

I guess what I am looking for is a work and then play ride. I am retired and will be moving very soon down to southern Indiana. The land I have will mean I need a work type of atv and if I can play a bit that would be good also. My new land is very hilly and wooded and has trees on the ground that need cut and hauled for firewood.

There is a small river or stream within about a mile or so and its supposed to have good smallmouth fishing and I would like to be able to ride down to fish once in a while and not worry about getting stuck.

Price is very important as I am on a pension and money is a concern. So any futher help is very much appreciated.

Shipper[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
if you look around i think you can do better, my 05 400 was $4500 out the door[new w/ warrantee]. this unit doesnt have the locking front axle, but up till now i havent been in a situation that this machine couldnt handle,as far as load capacity i also think 300# is a little short of what the machine can really handle[have a gen/welder that with all my stuff adds to about 275#, with me aboard[@ 200#] this quads not even breathing hard[still suspension travel left]. the polaris is a nice machine but i couldnt see the price difference from a practical standpoint. if interested , pm me for the outfit i bought mine from ,last time i looked they had access to several more units....

Old 02-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have owned a Honda Rubicon 500 in the past; and it did everything I needed. It has the bull low gear for pulling or plowing; and the 5 speed for everything else. I used it for farm chores as well as in the bush.

I would suggest taking a look at the 2006 Rubicon; although it's a bit pricier than other models. One thing I know, is Honda is built for reliability. The new model also has adjustable shocks; and steers 100% better than previous models.

Nice thing also about Honda's; is no belts to maintain. Just change the oil and go.

If you're looking Yamaha, I think the Kodiac is there best model. I have also seen this model in action under some rough use from family members. The Grizzly is a nice bike, but can be tempermental. And the Rhino has the Grizzly 660 engine in it.

Artic Cat's have the most ground clearance, and are a powerful engine. The physical size however is extremely big and wide; so trail width has some bearing here. There pricing is also close to Honda's.

In the ratings, Bombadier has the most power for hard use, but they ride kind of rough for trail riding; and are heavy like the Polaris.

You have a big decision ahead, but I recommend staying away from Polaris. There parts reliability is not the best, and have a tendancy to break more often.

Good luck[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2006, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

I have never bought a Polaris, but that s because I don't need that kind of machine, however I think they may have just the atv you are looking for. As far as me, I'm YAMAHA FOREVER!

Old 03-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I want to thank all who replied to my post. I bought a NEW 2005 TBX 400 with a AC warn 2500 winch and a 50 inch plow from Rex's Cycle in Kentucky for a really great price. They were willing to give me a deal and compared to the others I got quotes from, they were over $900 less.

I know its a 2005, buts its brand new and its Green which was my main color.... I cant wait to pick it up, but will be a couple of weeks to get transport arranged.

Shipper

Old 03-02-2006, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the new quad and the savings. Quads are a lot like cars in that while the newest model may have some of the latest and greatest, last years quad will work just as hard and as well.

Old 03-02-2006, 09:31 PM
Range Rover

good luck on your new machine and dont apologize for for saving money, by sayng its only an 05'[only smart way to buy a quad imho]