Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help me choose a 500cc utility

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 03:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose a 500cc utility

I’m in the market for my first quad and I need some help. I am looking for a fast/sporty utility quad in the 400 to 500cc range. General usage would be trail riding, but also looking to tackle true off roading with forest and rocky conditions and a little mudding thrown in for good measure. I know there is no perfect quad but trying to narrow down my search. I’m looking for good acceleration, a comfortable ride, and of course reliability. By the way, I’m 6’4 and 225lbs. What quads should I be looking at.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am leaning towards the outlander 400, can anyone either talk me in or out of this rig? Please all, I need some help.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jeffrice6
I am leaning towards the outlander 400, can anyone either talk me in or out of this rig? Please all, I need some help.
The Outlander is a fine quad. Everyone I know who has one has been very happy with it. But for your size and riding style, I think you should look at the Suzuki Vinson 500. It is probably the "sportiest" of the 500cc utes and it can "work" too if needed. The only knock against the Suzuki that I've heard is that is has somewhat brittle plastic.

The Polaris Sportsman 500 would also fit the bill and is very comfortable. But, IMO, the Sportsman is a bit of a gamble. I've known several people who have had very bad luck with their Polaris. That's not to say you will have the same trouble, in fact, you probably won't. But, you have to ask yourself if it is worth the gamble.

No one in the group I ride with has a 500 Artic Cat, but the magazines always seem to be knocking the A/C's handling. This is probably due to the high ground clearance and long suspension travel. For rock crawling and mudding, this would serve you well. For fast rail riding - not so much.

The Kodiak 450 is also a very nice quad. But I think it would be too small for someone your size.

I choose the Rubicon mostly because of the transmission and the fact that I've had such good luck with Hondas in the past. It's definately not the fastest or the sportiest and it is probably among the most expensive 500cc quads, but it met my needs. I use it for about 50% farm work and 50% trail riding.

Also, don't underestimate your local dealer. If you are having a hard time deciding between two ATVs, pick the one with the best dealer.

Again, this is all just my opinion based upon experience and first hand acounts from friends. I'm sure others would disagree. I hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

I can second the handling on the IRS quads .. the sportsman is probably a bit better than the cat due to the anti-roll bar on the rear, but it still leans like a son-of-a on corners. Very very comfortable though, and so far seems quite capable. Haven't had mine long.

One comment I will pass on with the Outty is that if you like to stay clean in wet riding conditions .. it's not the best. One of my friends rides with an outty in his group, and while the overall machine is quite impressive to him .. he said the guy riding it was absolutely covered in dirt where the front fenders cut across the tires ..

Old 05-01-2006, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

So is the Outlander a good choice? Any other info you all can pass my way? I'm looking to buy soon but there are just too many damn choices. Also, I want $6000 to be my cap. S.O.S please send help

Old 05-01-2006, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, The outlander for you...Good choice

Old 05-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks. Any outlander owners out there?

Old 05-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

I have the 06 Arctic cat and it does really well with trail riding. The only thing that is annoying is it takes more to power slide it because of the IRs. You might want to try locally some of the local Arctic cat dealers still have the the Solid rear axle models. I would highly recommand this quad though.

Old 05-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Man, I went to my local Bombardier dealer to price out the plain jane 400 and they quoted me something like $7200 OTD. Can yoy believe that S#*t.

Old 05-02-2006, 08:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Look at the cats, you would like them. I have an 06 and it goes through everything, and trail rides fine. Dont take to heart the comments of handeling, mine seems to handle great!

Quick Reply: Help me choose a 500cc utility