Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I need help buying a new ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wanting to buy a new ATV. I have never purchased an atv before but have rode to different ones. I was looking into the new 2000 Honda Rancher 4x4 which is the one I really want. The thing is I don't know if it would be the best choice or not. I have rode my Uncle's 1992 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 and I love it. THe 300 is small and just the right size for what I will be using it for. I will only be riding trails for fun, No Hunting or anything. I have also rode my Grandpa's Polaris Sportsman 500 and I thing that it is a 1997 model. I didn't like the polaris because it was real big and I didn't like the EBS(Engine Breaking System)I didn't like the fact that is was fully automatic. So what I want to know is would I be better off buying a 2000 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 or the one I would rather have the 2000 Honda Rancher 4x4? Any input would be appreciated and if you have any other ATVs' you would like to suggest please do. Thanks Matt.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:48 PM
Pro Rider

My cousin got a Rancher & has no regrets. The sideways engine thing looks odd at first, but when you really look at it, it makes for a simpler driveline. It is a nice, well balanced machine. I think it might be slightly smoother riding than a Fourtrax, but that is just opinion.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you farmr123 for your input. I have heard that the Rancher has better suspinsion and smoother shifting.

Old 11-21-2000, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

Before you purchase an Atv, look at the Arctic cat line up! They have put together a great machine at a great price!! I like hondas but in my opinion they could use some improvement on there suspension. The honda 300 use to beat me down after riding all day. The Ac suspension is alot smoother and a more confortable ride. compare the Arctic cat to the other Atvs and then decide. Good luck

Old 11-22-2000, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

If you are only going to be riding trails you may want to look into a sport quad. The suspension on those are much better... you can ride all day and not feel like your fillings are being shook out. You really should try lots of quads out and make your decision then. I did here lots of great things about the Artic Cats, but I myself like the Hondas... Have fun!

Old 11-22-2000, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

The Honda FourTrax Rancher 4x4 is the redesigned, updated version of the FourTrax 300 4x4. I have the 2001 FourTrax Rancher 4x4 myself and I love it. The 4-wheel-drive system on it is really great. The new 330cc engine on the Rancher has as much torque as other 400cc engines and it is a good size. Basically, you should go with the FourTrax Rancher. Honda makes the most reliable ATVs out there, and the FourTrax Rancher 4x4 is an excellent, all-around ATV.

Old 11-22-2000, 06:50 PM
Trailblazer

get the rancher i have one and i love it its smooth and i trail ride wiht it.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2000, 04:39 AM
Range Rover

I highly recomend the Rancher. I bought one a couple of months ago and absolutely have no regrets. The suspension is way better than the older 300 design. I feel like the engine is too. I chose the electric shift, and I'm getting used to it. It takes a little bit, though. I have been hammering down the trail at a pretty good pace and accidently hit the wrong button a couple of times. But like I said, I'm getting used to it. The main reason I went with the ES is the full floorboards and the digital display. I use to own a Polaris Sportsman, '98 model, and I really got used to the floor boards. I love them. The suspension on my Polaris kind of spoiled me, but after riding the Rancher awhile, I can deal with it pretty good. I feel like when you buy a quad, your just playing the odds when it comes to reliability.....and I like the odds of the Honda in this department. It's not the biggest,baddest thing out there, but I feel like I will be riding this for a long time to come.

The neat thing with this quad is it is confidence inspiring. I know my big ol' Polaris would eat this one up head to head, that is if it were running. But the low center of gravity and excellent stability on off camber situations lets me ride up,down,over and crossways on stuff that used to scare me to death on my Polaris. I thought that going to fulltime 4wd would hinder my "fun factor", but I can still get the front end up off the ground and slide it sideways if I want. So, once again, I vote Rancher!

Rick

Old 11-23-2000, 10:50 AM
Pro Rider

You can’t go wrong with the Rancher. But the 300 are excellent quads as well. Very reliable, It will save you some money when you do finally purchase a quad. The re-sale on the 300 is excellent as well.

Old 11-25-2000, 03:47 PM
Range Rover

I have heard nothing bad about Ranchers, and the reliability of the older fourtrax 300's is legendary. I don't think you could go wrong with either one. As somebody else mentioned, you may also want to take a look at some sport quads (300ex, 400ex, Warrior, etc..)

If you really want four wheel drive I would also suggest that you take a Wolverine for a test ride.

Good luck,

Dan