Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for a 4x4 atv need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 4x4 atv need some advice

So many choices but is it me or are hondas crap now of days I have not seen any thrilling reviews on any modles over the past 5+ years? >>>>>>>>

Still #1 in market share [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

You have many choices in that range. all are pretty good choices with some having features others doen't, all depends on your type of riding and preference. Might I suggest the Wolverine 450 from Yamaha, has 4WD select, is an auto and is relatively light at just over 500 lbs.....they also have a Wolverine 350 which doesn't have 4WD, but is an auto........it's kind of a cross between the Bruin and Raptor. Don't count out that Honda Rancher though, I think one of the best selling quads on the market.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

I am a atv rookie but I have looked at some 3rd party reviews on Honda, the info that I have gathered was yes they are the 500lb gorilla in there market that happen when you are the first kid on the block, The transmission kind of put me back with the roughly 5-6 steps just to put it in reverse seem to be over starting a safety factor or just one of those older setups from Honda's past , I will say it is a visual appealing set up but I have never been on a Honda it is on my to do list before I buy. The great thing is my wife is excited and is pushing me to go and buy she grew up riding and looks forward to get back into it.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

The great thing is my wife is excited and is pushing me to go and buy she grew up riding and looks forward to get back into it. >>>>>>>>>

Thats awsome, I took my ladyfriend out for her first two rides the past few weeks, now she's talking like she wants to get her own......I was like "lets go take a look" LOL, she needs to get a new car FIRST.

I'd strongly suggest getting yourself something 400cc's or above, trust me, after a few rides you're gonna want that extra power. The 07's are starting to be released so there might be some discounts on the 06's.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: raidermike67
The great thing is my wife is excited and is pushing me to go and buy she grew up riding and looks forward to get back into it. >>>>>>>>>

Thats awsome, I took my ladyfriend out for her first two rides the past few weeks, now she's talking like she wants to get her own......I was like "lets go take a look" LOL, she needs to get a new car FIRST.

I'd strongly suggest getting yourself something 400cc's or above, trust me, after a few rides you're gonna want that extra power. The 07's are starting to be released so there might be some discounts on the 06's.
Get something above 400cc's because I got a 400cc Polaris 3 years ago for my first ATV and I wasn't ever satified with the power, simply not much power in utes with anything below 500cc really.

Old 06-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Trailblazer

400cc is more of less my target 500 would probably be the sweat spot, but on Polaris the brand I am leaning towards the awd look like a nice feature I have heard that they are heavy for a atv and it greatly effects there performance?

Old 06-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, definately heavy. IMO, in the 400 range you can't beat the Outlander, most power in it's class and 100 lbs lighter then a Polaris of similar CC's.

Old 06-07-2006, 07:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Isnt the 400 having alot of problems though?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Isnt the 400 having alot of problems though?
<<<<<<<<

Such as?

Old 06-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Dont get me wrong! The outtys are great machines. I just read a few posts awhile back that was centered around 400s having some issues. Nothing with 650, or 800. Just 400s

Old 06-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

I just read a few posts awhile back that was centered around 400s having some issues>>>>>

Issues such as? The first year models had a few glitches, voltage regulators could overheat if the lights weren't ran fairly often, there were some issues with a secondary air hole in the air box which was allowing unfiltered air into the carb, issue was fixed after 04 but before that you had to make your own, no biggie. The v/r problem was fixed, other then that I'm not aware of any problems that are plagued by this machine, mine never failed to start or get me back from wherever I was.

Quick Reply: Looking for a 4x4 atv need some advice