Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Looking for a 4x4 atv need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a 4x4 atv need some advice

I have been wanting to buy a ATV for a while now, after this last holiday weekend camping I spent the a good amount of time following 2 4x4 ATVs with my jeep. I am going to break down a buy my own atv. I have driven a few atv ranging from 350cc to 500cc I am not much of a speed demond but I do love the deep mud. Over the weekend I was following a Kawasaki perry and a suzuki Vinson both carrying 2 passengers, both were extremely capable machines the Suzuki was a 06 only a week out of the dealer very simple to operate but was having some stalling issues. The perry a 02 I believe was having some clearances problems and got hung up on several areas where the suzuka did not both. I have limited riding experience and I am unsure on what would be a good 4x4 atv for me. I am 5-11 200 lbs so weight is not a issue but I am unsure on the cc of engine I should lean towards. I know some believe more is better I am not looking to go 60 and the price comes in. I stopped by my local dealer and listen to them talk there brand up and down, I do not have a huge amount of money to put to it so the 2 seat bombards at 10,000 are out. I would like to know what your thought are brand engine and features I should look for in a new OR used 4x4 atv.

Old 05-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

well if your looking for a machine in the 350-500cc range i would go either with the 400 eiger a very capable machine or the 400 arctic cat or 500... both are very capable machines and i would lean to either of those before other brands. did you say you wanted two seaters? becasue neither of those are two seaters... o well.

Old 05-31-2006, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I would go with the eiger (400) also or the vinson (500). I would stay with the manual shift so that you dont take a chance of getting your belt wet if you get the auto. Both are suzuki's and have a hi/ low transfer case, with selectable 4X4. I have the eiger and love to play in the mud when I can find it in AZ. I take mine camping all the time and have never had a problem. I dont know about other brands but Suzuki prewires there atv's for just about everything, so adding a winch takes only like 45 min to and hr. I do recommend getting a winch no matter what brand of atv you do buy, I have seen to many people trying to dig out or pull a 600lb or more atv out of the mud. The Eiger is just about the best bang for the buck, if you dont like Suzuki the AC 400 is nice ( same engine ) or the kodiac 450 is nice but a little more money. Hope this helps.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

What about the Polaris sportsman and hawkeye? Also is there any advantage or disadvantage to a independent rear suspension.

Old 05-31-2006, 12:49 PM
Pro Rider

If you like to mud, you're going to first have to have a machine with a diff lock. Suzuki only makes 2 machines with this. The King Quad 700efi and the Twin Peaks 700 V-twin. Another important feaure will be ground clearance, and with that said you'll need Independent rear suspension (IRS) The King Quad 700efi is the only suzuki with this. I love the KQ and think it's a great machine and greatly priced. Should be able to get one for less than $7k. However, if you plan to really hardcore mud, then Arctic Cat and Polaris are the best. Most ground clearance and suspension travel along with weight and larger stance makes them the top in the 4x4 category. If you plan to trail ride with some mudding involved at times, never be left behind, all at a great price get the KQ 700efi. Has all the features neccessary wrapped up in one machine.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Or if you like mud, and im sure people were waiting for me to chime in!!! Look at the Arctic Cat, they have the most ground clearance, and diff lock, and you can get one like mine with a V-Twin engine also for that awesome power! Check out my quad in my pics, i like a little mud too!

Old 05-31-2006, 08:50 PM
Trailblazer

When it come down to it I would like to have 2 atv total a 4x4 and a 2x4 but again with the 2x4 I am not realy looking for a speedy atv most likely a 350-400cc the reason I would like to have a second atv for my wife and when a group of us do get the chance to go out I hate haveing to leave some on back at the camp sight, I have been that person. My budget is around 7-8k so it looks like I will be ebaying soon.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There is a good deal in Mn, two 2006 Arctic Cats, a two place trailer for like 8 grand!! I think they are both 400cc quads, but they are 4x4!

Old 06-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

Well the reason I said 4x2 is the cost but hay if I can find 2 4x4 at a good price I am all for it.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:14 AM
Trailblazer

So many choices but is it me or are hondas crap now of days I have not seen any thrilling reviews on any modles over the past 5+ years?

Quick Reply: Looking for a 4x4 atv need some advice