Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Thinking about family ATV's, what other expenses do I need to concider?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about family ATV's, what other expenses do I need to concider?

Check your home owners because most these days will not cover a atv even if stolen from the house. Its a loop-hole alot have added because of theft. Mine will cover my riding lawn mower but not my atv's. I think my full coverage insurance ran $200 a year and its the same type of policy you would have on a street bike. If I role it down a hill they will pay to fix.

You better add money for accesorries! If you can stay away from them your better than most on here lol
I could probally buy a quad a year on what on spend on toys for mine hehe

Old 06-07-2006, 07:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Catterman
Insurance is a must around here, it is even the law for ATV's. Your homeowners will cover you if it is stolen from your house, but not if you are on the trails and crash. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Also you will need mods! Tires are the most popular. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hotel expense for trips [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

membership fees to online ATV fourms. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Paying Catterman $100 for his great advice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Membership fees for local ATV club. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Catterman, are you sure its law???? Ive never had insurance on mine, and asked my dealer when buying because at a car dealer you have to show proof, but my dealer said its not a law, but its recomended. If its a law i want to know so i can get it!! Do you have a link or site to show me?

Old 06-08-2006, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

I have insurance through USAA, but you have to be millitary to get it. It is well worth it, I pay like $200 a year for everything with a $500 deductable. Better safe than sorry in my eyes.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: v2rider
Insurance is a must around here, it is even the law for ATV's. Your homeowners will cover you if it is stolen from your house, but not if you are on the trails and crash. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Also you will need mods! Tires are the most popular. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

membership fees to online ATV fourms. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Paying Catterman $100 for his great advice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Membership fees for local ATV club. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Catterman, are you sure its law???? Ive never had insurance on mine, and asked my dealer when buying because at a car dealer you have to show proof, but my dealer said its not a law, but its recomended. If its a law i want to know so i can get it!! Do you have a link or site to show me?
I think it goes that if you are only on private land it is not needed, but if you are in public you must have liability coverage. I pay about $168 a year on the H1, for full coverage and a $500 ded. from State Farm. I don't have a link or anything, maybe check the MNDNR website. Or call your agent too, but they will put you in more coverage then needed so be sure to go through each item with the agent and make sure they are not taking you to the cleaners. My first quote from State Farm was $220, then when I got rid of the ungodly high uninsured and underinsured limits it whet down a lot!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

You should be able to save some money on the safety gear if you shop around. Folding chairs, tables, ice chests, something to pack your gear into, tie downs, locks, chains, ramps, portable air tank/compressor, LOTS of flat repair stuff, extra tires/wheels, spare trailer tire, xtra tools, first aid kit, battery charger.....the list can keep growing!

Old 06-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: v2rider

I think it goes that if you are only on private land it is not needed, but if you are in public you must have liability coverage. I pay about $168 a year on the H1, for full coverage and a $500 ded. from State Farm. I don't have a link or anything, maybe check the MNDNR website. Or call your agent too, but they will put you in more coverage then needed so be sure to go through each item with the agent and make sure they are not taking you to the cleaners. My first quote from State Farm was $220, then when I got rid of the ungodly high uninsured and underinsured limits it whet down a lot!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

i believe hes right. im an ATV noob, but i remember reading something about liability for state trails, etc.