Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which ATV would you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which ATV would you recommend?

Hi all,
I am a new member here but I have looked around here in the past.Great site BTW.I used to own a 04 grizzly long story[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I loved it!!I am leaning towards another Yamaha or possibly Suzuki. I would prefer something with a locking diff like the Grizzly. The Grizzly or King Quad would fit the bill but was looking for something around the 500cc class.

I will give you a little background and then any info on what ATV would fit my needs would be appreciated.

I live in Wisconsin. Not a whole lot af altitude here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I deer hunt,icefish and would probably go riding on some of the established trails through out the state. I obviously need a utility atv. I will also be going to Montana in 07 to elk hunt.

My buddy took his 300 Arctic Cat 4x4 to Montana the last 2 years and was not real happy with performance. I would guess losing power on a 300cc bike because of the altitude didnt help much since it doesn't seem to have alot of power to begin with. Could a person get by with a carbureted atv in the 500 cc class with out rejetting? Or would performance really suffer?

EFI I am sure is the way to go but other then Polaris does anyone make a 500 class atv with EFI that won't cost me an arm and a leg like Bombardier[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Isn't Suzuki coming out with a 450-500 cc atv with EFI? Any ideas if it will have a locking diff? What is the standard as far as warranty goes among different brands? Is 6 months the norm?

I appreciate any responses and thank you in advance.

Bill/

Old 07-08-2006, 10:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

AC has a 700efi, and so does Grizz. They are both very capable machines for what you need. I think Bom has efi on their 500, but im not sure.

Old 07-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the Can-Am 500 has efi, and is a v-twin. It may very well have class leading power. Suzuki IS releasing a 450 Kingquad with IRS and efi, don't know on the diff lock, but yes should be a good bet on that also. You should know that none of the current offerings have a closed loop efi. While they may perform better than a carb unit that has not been rejetted, fuel metering will not be optimal either. I know Polaris has you go to a shop and get a new high altitude map for your machine.

Yamaha just redid the Grizz, and it also has efi now[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

also check into the brute force 650 that seems to be like a great all around quad along with the new grizzly 700 with efi and king quad. If you wind up getting the kq which I personally like just one thing to watch out for is change the stock airfilter becuase from what I have heard is that since they don't seal very well from the factory that dirt and stuff gets through and into the engine and will cause it to smoke eventually but other then that minor thing they are a great quad.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

The $1,000,000 question

I had horrible times with Polaris, I would go with a Suzuki, I have an Ozark 250 and I cannot kill it.

Only regret is I wish I had a 4wd. Best thing is to leave your wallet home and go to a few dealers on a Saturday when they are busy so you can blend in and take your time sitting on some models. I was sitting on a Suzuki Kingquad the other day...Oh baby if I only has some spare change.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Marshhawk
Hi all,
I am a new member here but I have looked around here in the past.Great site BTW.I used to own a 04 grizzly long story[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I loved it!!I am leaning towards another Yamaha or possibly Suzuki. I would prefer something with a locking diff like the Grizzly. The Grizzly or King Quad would fit the bill but was looking for something around the 500cc class.

I will give you a little background and then any info on what ATV would fit my needs would be appreciated.

I live in Wisconsin. Not a whole lot af altitude here[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I deer hunt,icefish and would probably go riding on some of the established trails through out the state. I obviously need a utility atv. I will also be going to Montana in 07 to elk hunt.

My buddy took his 300 Arctic Cat 4x4 to Montana the last 2 years and was not real happy with performance. I would guess losing power on a 300cc bike because of the altitude didnt help much since it doesn't seem to have alot of power to begin with. Could a person get by with a carbureted atv in the 500 cc class with out rejetting? Or would performance really suffer?

EFI I am sure is the way to go but other then Polaris does anyone make a 500 class atv with EFI that won't cost me an arm and a leg like Bombardier[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Isn't Suzuki coming out with a 450-500 cc atv with EFI? Any ideas if it will have a locking diff? What is the standard as far as warranty goes among different brands? Is 6 months the norm?

I appreciate any responses and thank you in advance.

Bill/
I think BRP's new 500 twin would be a great choice....other than that go bigger or plan on modding the quad

Old 08-07-2006, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

the new grizz is nice, efi, power steering, the airbox is located different so if you do go through something deep you dont have to worry as much, wing-shaped a'arms so you wont get caught up as much, the new grizz is nice!

Old 08-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Pro Rider

The bomb 500 is expensive for a 500 class ATV, I think it's near the King and Grizz 660's price which is rediculous.

EFI is very helpful so I say wait for the new KQ 450 later this year sincer you want a smaller ATV, it'll use the LTR 450's motor so it'll be a good performer. It's said to be smaller than the KQ in size, and it looks just like the KQ 700 except no third light on the handlebars. I expect it to have a front locker since it's call the KQ, IRS and EFI are certain though. It's supposed to be in the low $6k range where as the Grizzly 700 and the King Quad 700 are near $8k.