Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Beginner, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beginner, need advice!

Originally posted by: raidermike67
Ignore Reconranger, he has a problem with utility and automatic quads. Some people are stuck in the stone age and think you are a wussy or less then technical rider if you ride an automatic. Plain and simple, for a beginner it is EASIER and SAFER. I've taken a few lady friends out riding and if I didn't have an auto. they simply would not bother riding.
I agree with you about reconranger. Oddly enough, he himself owns a utility quad. It's also amusing when I go on the trails and see a bunch of sport quads with bent foot pegs, broken plastic, bent handlebars, etc. A lot of them try tackling hills in the woods that demand a lot of traction and provide little room to build momentum. Most of the time, they make it a quarter of the way up and they spin. When the sport quad finally does bite, it's a pretty safe bet the front end is going go skyward and the rider will have to bail.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

My very first choice of quad was a bruin, but now they are all grizz. I was going to just get a 450 grizz, but my husband wanted me to get something that I could move the back end of. I'm only 5'2" 105lbs so there isn't but a child size machine that I can actually pick up, but the 250 I can scoot the back end over. Maybe this won't be the machine for me. I only hope I don't regret not going with the grizz due to 4x4. Anyway thanks again everyone.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

My very first choice of quad was a bruin, but now they are all grizz. I was going to just get a 450 grizz, but my husband wanted me to get something that I could move the back end of. I'm only 5'2" 105lbs so there isn't but a child size machine that I can actually pick up, but the 250 I can scoot the back end over. Maybe this won't be the machine for me. I only hope I don't regret not going with the grizz due to 4x4. Anyway thanks again everyone>>>>>>>

I don't think you'll regret your decision. Hopefully your quad has reverse? Another point of contention amongst the hardcore sport atv riders is they feel there is no need for reverse. IMO it's simply retarded not to have reverse unless you are ONLY riding MX.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I honestly feel a Honda Rubicon would be a perfect fit for you. They don't use Independent Rear Suspension so the backend should be relatively light. You could move the backend of it if need be. It has a 500cc engine which, although not the strongest thing on the planet, would be plenty of power for you. It's also very stable and can pretty much pilot itself down a steep hill because it has great engine braking. Finding one for a reasonable price is a challenge, however. I was able to find a dealer who sold them at wholesale prices and got it out the door for $5977. Otherwise, the MSRP on them is $7299.

Old 09-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tpsycho

Get a Yamaha Rhino I got one for my wife and she loves it we got it street legal so she can go anywhere she want's to go and believe me those things can pretty much go anywhere.Also she can throw the dogs in the back and they think it is the best thing that ever happened and you have room for a passenger .
Just my two cents.</end quote></div>

what states can youy get one street legal?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

get mad if you want but i think that reconranger knows a hell of a lot more about quads than you two, raidermike67 and JDQuadride. hes helped me numerous time fixing one of my atvs.