Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Best used ATV???

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best used ATV???

O.K. guys,
I`m a beginner in ATV (tried it last week-end and loved it.)I`m shopping for a used ATV and the more I check each different brand the more confused I get.
I really don`t know which one would be the best...I just want to ride in trails with the kidz.I`m 5"10,185 pound.What size should I buy....400,600,800???
I want a trouble free ATV...what about Bombardier,Yamaha,Kawasaki???
What brand should I stay away from???
Any help out there...
Thanks

Valleyfield

Old 10-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Range Rover
Default Best used ATV???

welcome to the forums. what kind of quad do you like? 2-stroke with the ping ping and the scented exhaust or four stroke with the thump thump? a blaster is a good 2-stroke to start out on for your size and fairly inexpensive. a blaster is only a 200cc but its pretty peppy if you get a pipe and stuff. parts are fairly easy to find for the blasters if something should go wrong. COME ON four strokers help PLUME out. i dont know to much about 4 strokes all my exhausts ping.

SANDMOUSE

Old 10-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best used ATV???

For a beginner, and from your post, I presume you're an adult just getting into the sport?

If so, and you want trouble-free operation out of your machine ...

Either a Warrior or a 400EX. The 400EX would probably be the better machine, but if you buy a pre-2005 model you don't get reverse. The warrior is a nice machine as well, trouble free, not too powerful but still a heap of fun.

Something else occurs to me .. can you drive a manual (clutched) machine .. like a motor cycle? What kind of riding will you be doing? Purely trail, or will you be going into mud and such too?

Old 10-22-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Best used ATV???

yeah what kinda of riding are you going to be doing, for just riding around in normal trails I would say any of the 400s Z,EX,DVX,KFX would be great for a beginner like it was said earlier if you go for the 400EX anything after 05 won't have reverse which is nice but not totally needed since they are easy to push around being so light. Any of the 400s are going to be very problem free. If you don't know the clutch they are really easy to pick up on if you have a friend or someone that could show you the basics you will pick it up in no time

Old 10-22-2006, 02:36 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Default Best used ATV???

Whats your trails like down there? Our tail here have so many boulders on them that any low clearance chain drive ATV would be getting towed home for sure. Out of the hundreds of ATV I have seen out on the trails I may have seen 2 or 3 sport quads at most.

4" of ground clearance and 6" boulders don't mix very well.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Default Best used ATV???

Then you'll be looking for an ATV with IRS. See if you can pick up a late model Kodiak 450. I hear what you're talking about with sport atv's and rocks. I had a Warrior here in Newfoundland, and for the most part that's what's here on the trails. Now, a good chain guard goes a long way to helping with those, and just picking a good line. But it sure sounds like you'll be looking for a utility ATV with higer ground clearance than most any of the solid axel quads can offer.

Old 10-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Best used ATV???

For strictly mellow trail riding, with 4x4 needed, any utility quads that are a 400-500 are sufficient. If your looking for a two person quad, Arctic Cat, Can-Am, and Polaris make them. These are all good quads. Otherwise, the 400-500 cc ranges on a regular ATV i would look at the Kodiak, Polaris, Can-AM, and Arctic Cat as my choices

Trending Topics

Old 10-22-2006, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Best used ATV???

Thanks guys for your fast responce.
I don`t want a "racer" ATV,its got to be for 2. I`m not looking for a big top speed,just something that will not give me any trouble (read reliable) and a comfortable ride.The trail up here in Quebec,I`m told ,are great.Wide and and in very good condition.
I`m looking at a Yamaha Kodiak 400 2003 at 6500$ (2300Km with extended warranty up til `08),a Kawasaki KVF 650 2002 at 5800$ (1370 Km) and Bombardier Outlander 400 XT max at 6200$ (2004).
All ATV here are equiped with rear seats,heated thumb and handle and winch.
Which one would be your pick???
What brand should I stay away from???Some people told me not to touch Polaris,Arctic Cat and Bombardier.
Thanks

Old 10-22-2006, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Best used ATV???

without seeing each one in person it's hard to pick from what you've got listed there. But the Kawi 650 seems to me to be a good bang for the buck considering it's the cheapest of the three, and has the most power.

Have to get the Kawi expert's opinions on the kvf's though in terms of reliability and such.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Best used ATV???

Some people told me not to touch Polaris,Arctic Cat and Bombardier.
>>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>>>>>>>> >>

???????? These are some of the best rated ATVs available. They are also the only three that offer TWO person ATVs. I guess im confused as to where this info came from, as will others that chime in im sure