Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Debating the Utility to Sport Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 08:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debating the Utility to Sport Switch

So I have a 2000 trx300fw and was considering purchising a sport quad. What I don't like about the utility is the drum brakes, heavy steering, weight, could be a little more powerful, and so on. What I would like is something a little more fun to ride. How many of you made this switch? Were you happy with the outcome? I am concered about traction mainly, like snow and mud.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:19 PM
Monkey Rider
Afro-Engineer
FREE AND NOW are the best

Why not just get a sport ute? they have disc brakes and 4wd and haul ***. unless your wanting to do allotta jumping one of the bigger Utes would be dandy.

If you wanna get dirty and stuck allot and have to get off your quad and wrestle it around in mud holes then get a sporty [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

I thought about that. The thing is I also like a manual transmission. I figure if I did get stuck it is alot easier to wrestle a 370lb quad than 570lb. I fogot to add to my first post I would like decent suspension. The type of riding I do ranges from technical woods, open high speed riding, lesurly trail riding, fast trail riding, and rairly jumps. The only thing holding me back is how much I would miss 4x4. I really don't know how crucial it is because mine is full time 4x4. Thanks for the reply

Old 10-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there is any way to do it, keep your current ride and go get a sport quad. True they are getting out of their element once the snow and/or mud gets over 6", up until that point you can basically go wherever the utes go and do it faster and with better handling.

Old 10-31-2006, 12:55 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What says you can't have two? You have a ute you can ride when traction conditions are terrible, and get a sport you can have fun on the rest of the time.......that's what I do!

Old 10-31-2006, 10:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

..........and you need to get a Warn 424 for that 300! It will turn it into a selectable 2wd/4wd, and lighten up the steering.

Old 10-31-2006, 09:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Getting a sport and keeping the ute= good choice
Getting a sport and losing the ute= foolish

Old 10-31-2006, 11:27 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I've been thinking about it. I think i'm going to go with everyone's idea and keep the utility and buy a sport. That way I will always have a spare and be ready for what ever the weather throws at me. I figure I'm never going to see another trx300fw in as good of shape and being there so indestructable I might as well keep it forever.

Old 11-01-2006, 12:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is probably a good choice. There are times I wish I had a 4x4 to play on. Not enough to go out and buy a brand new one, but still...

Old 11-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Elite Pro Rider

yup when i buy a sporty im keeping my 4x4, its great to have around for pulling trailers with wood, moving the boat, hauling out deer. pulling out the lawn tractors when i get them stuck lol
and just fun to go crawl over rocks and hit up the mud holes!

Quick Reply: Debating the Utility to Sport Switch