Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006 | 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help

Originally posted by: Dino1000
Wow.. Sounds like the magazine is in bed with Yamaha! Do you happen to have the link to the article? I'd like to check it out.

I went to a dealer today to look, feel and seat the Wolverine. Yes, it's a bit heavy but I still like the bike. It looks as though it may suite my needs. As for top end, as long as the bike will reach the mid 50's relatively easy I think I would be happy. I'm not looking to race and/or break any land records.

Happy Halloween Folks!
mid 50's are u crazy i saw a video on the wolverine on one of the sites and i think they said upper 40's

Old 11-01-2006 | 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

Going on what you say your looking for, I would personally wait until January and get the new Can Am Renegade. 800cc IRS 4 wheel drive and sportbike features. This thing is gonna be worth everypenny and NO other 4wheeldrive quad is gonna come close to matching its performance.

Old 11-01-2006 | 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

ya and how much is that quad going to retail for?

Old 11-01-2006 | 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Dino,

I am not new to ATV riding I have not done as much riding in the past as I have this year. A couple of years ago I bought a 92' Polaris 4x4, rode it a couple of times and let it sit. This year I took it out many times. I was in the boat about getting a new (or newer) machine. I asked questions in forums and solicited opinions from other riders on what to get. I have found that Polaris riders will say Polaris; Yamaha riders will say Yamaha, etc... My suggestion is ride as many different machines as possible before you buy. Get a feel for each one. Make a list of what you like and don't like about each one. Your wish list of what you want is a great start. Power is important but not as important as comfort. I have ridden built Banshee's and after 4 hours I was spent. Are you good with your hands? A good used bike can be lots of fun, or a pain. New machines with IRS and EFI are great but can be a real pain if they break. What is your size? I'm 6ft. and weigh 300lbs. Yamaha sport ATV's (as most sport ATV's) do not fit me well. The Grizzly is nice and is a better fit. Is packing gear important? If so sport ATV's are limited. I could go on.

After all my research I decided to keep what I have. It's paid for, I enjoy working on it, and most importantly I have money to ride. I can make modifications as I want. I will be adding high beam head lights from a Banshee this winter as an example. It's as fast as I want it to be; it climbs every hill I wanted; does great in the mud and snow; and I love the ride, it fit's me.

Good luck in your search but don't get stuck with a machine you don't like.

Jrumsey
92? Polaris 350L 4x4 (board & ported [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img])

Old 11-01-2006 | 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

The Renegade is going to be expensive. What a salesman told me around $10,000. But if you want the baddest this is it. He never listed a price range. But if in the Wolvey's range I personally like the Vinson. It will smoke the wolverine in everyway and is very sport like.
But jrumsey is right. Everybody has their own opinion and it would be best to go a try to see all of them. Me I love my Rincon but alot of people don't. It suits my needs very well. With todays 4 wheelers I don't think you will go wrong on just about any of them.
If you already like the wolverine then don't let anyone talk you into something else.

Old 11-01-2006 | 08:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Some recently published prices ATVSport, Nov 2006. Wolverine 450 $5999.00 Scrambler 500 $6199.00 Renegade $9299.00. That Renegade is bound to be one heck of a beast, but that price is killer! The Scrambler is definately the best bang for the buck, but they are not for everyone.

Old 11-01-2006 | 10:02 PM
|
Trailblazer

Awesome responses folks! Nice to know that there are good people like you guys to help out a fellow enthusiasts!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I took a trip to the local Polaris dealership today to check out the Scrambler. I liked the machine but not quite sold on it vs. the Wolverine. The dealer let me take it around the parking lot and I have to say that I liked the throttle response very much! Bike seems pretty powerful considering the weight & AWD. I then realized I am back where I started ..... battling what to do! SO.. went to a different Yama dealer and had the opportunity to start and throttle the Wolvy. I didn't get to ride the bike but could tell by throttle response that this bike would not have the Scrambler's power. I also recently read a post from someone that the Wolvy was a great girl's bike. If that's the case, I'm fairly certain it's not going to be what I'm looking for. (No disrespect ladies - I'm sure some of you could outride me (until I get some seat time!! :-))).

I'm so frustrated!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I'm not sold on either bike. Just not feeling it! I may go back to the drawing board on this one. The more I look at these bikes, the more I realize I may be happier with just a Sport/Trail bike. Seems like the more research I do the less I know what I want. Sorry! I must sould like a little "female dog" here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. The good news is that in the next few days I get to ride a couple of my buddies bikes. I'm gonna get some seat time on a Z400, Quad 250 (not sure of the brand) and a Polaris 4x4 utility. Maybe then I'll have some kind of idea of what I need.

In the meantime, you all have been so kind with your posts. Wish me luck. My biggest fear is to have $6,000 to $7,000 in something I don't want and doesn't fit my needs! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

BTW - I wish I could afford the Can Am bike! If so, I'm sure I'd be researching the Quad!

Thanks folks!!!!

Old 11-01-2006 | 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

I saw that Can Am at a manufacters truck at a jamboree I just attended. The factory guy told me around $10,000. But I'm sure it will come down. The one I saw was a prototype and it was the meanest quad I've ever seen. But your right about the price. I didn't catch your price range in the opening topic. You have a big decision to make. While your researching checkout the Suzuki Vinson 5 speed. This is a very sporty quad that has alot of the features that most people like. It also is one of the few 5 speed quad availible. It has everything that you describe and will move. My buddies was right behind me and I was hitting 61mph. So it will move you well. It also dosen't have a belt drive. Thats just something that I don't care for. There are tons of them out there with no problems but I just don't like the idea of a belt drive.

Old 11-01-2006 | 11:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i own a suzkuki and think the scrambler is best in class. the can am is way to expensive....

when i bought my first ATV i thought i would need 4X4 for the mud and stuff, but now im upset that i dident buy a sport.

sure the 4X4 is great in the soft stuff, but the sport will take you anywere a 4x4 will go as long as its not realy deep mud!

as for your ground clearence problem. the 5.5 inches on the scrammy is messured at the rear axel the lowest point, but at the front end you have so much clearence becasue of the struts!

so if you high end with your axel your fron wheels will still be in contact with the bottom of the rut and they will continue to pull you thrue!

the scrammy will hit 60 easy.

for me im going to buy a Z400 or a lighter predator if they make one as my next quad.

good luck !

oh and that article was in the dirtwheels magazine, so i cant realy give you a link to it.

and yes you cann DEFF get some air time on the scrammy, just not as much as a Z400 or yfz lol

Old 11-02-2006 | 12:27 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Got to say that I spent a few hours on a friend's Scrambler, and I was absolutely unimpressed with that machine. Ergonomics were absolutely terrible.

Quick Reply: I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help