Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006 | 11:34 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help

Hello good folks! Hope this thread finds you well.

Yes, this is yet another "Which ATV" topic but this time it's different. I'm the one that's buying! :-)

Will you good folks steer me in the right direction?

I'm going to buy a sport/ute but not sure what's available these days. I'm an experienced cycle rider as I've owned a Harley Superglide, Suzuki V-Strom, Honda CB450, Kawasaki KDX220R, Kawasaki KLX-250 and a Honda XL-100. I've also owned a 4 wheeler (Kawasaki Bayou 220) and spent much time on friends ATV's but it's been almost 10 years now. I also used to do a bit of motocross and I miss the off-road experience. This is why I'm buying an ATV.

I'm now approaching 40 and my needs are a bit different from my big jumping days (although I do have plans to leave the ground again. Just not as high <grin&gt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]. I'd like a bike that is about 90% SPORT and 10% UTILITY. Is there such a bike? Currently, I'm looking hard at the Yamaha Wolverine 450 but I've never been on one. This bike interests me but I have some reservations. First - Is there a better bike out there that I don't know about? Second - Is this bike going to be powerful enough? Third - I need to talk to someone like myself that could give me recommendations.

Purposes and Wish List:
1. Mostly trail riding with some jumps (not too terribly high)
2. A little work around the yard (pulling a seeder, small aerator (this is the 10% UTILITY I spoke of earlier)
3. Great Suspension
4. Responsive
5. Nible - Not too heavy
6. Enough Power to bring the kid out of me! <BIG SMILE>
7. 4x4 is kinda important (although I know this adds weight, etc.)
8. Comfort is a big plus as I sometimes suffer from TBS (tired butt syndrome)
9. Price range of 6 to 7 thousand
9. FUN, FUN, FUN

I need advice from someone similar to my needs. Do you exist? If so, please help out a fellow enthusiast with some info then let's ride!!!

Thank you in advance.

Dino

Old 10-31-2006 | 12:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

Dino, that is a tough order to fill. The Wolverine and the Polaris Scrambler are both aimed toward what you are looking for, and soon Can-Am will have its' Renegade out(but that is over your budget by about 2k[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]) I have never had the pleasure of directly sharing the trail with the new 450 Wolverine, but from experience I have always been impressed with the Scramblers' capabilities. For what it is worth, some of the utes aren't to bad either. I have seen some of the open class utes getting impressive air, but that always looks $$ to me. You may need to pull a seeder behind you with the way most of these things will tear up your yard with the locked rear diff. The few models that have an open rear diff option aren't very sporty at all. Good luck with the shopping!

Old 10-31-2006 | 01:09 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Polaris scrambler.

Old 10-31-2006 | 01:10 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks Scooter!

Just checked out the Polaris Scrambler 500 online. I like it (except for the goofy headlight)!! Also think I would like the 499cc's vs. the Wolverine even though it's a little heavier. Not sure about ground clearance. I like the Wolverine's 8.7 inches vs. the Scrambler's 5.5 inches.

Have you ever been on one? Anyone? Thoughts, comments??

Old 10-31-2006 | 02:38 AM
|
Trailblazer

Ok.. I'm a couple of hours into these threads now... read everything I could read about the bikes and I'm back to the Wolverine. Seems like the Wolverine folks are proud of their bike once it became available. The earlier posts on this board were some kind of nasty to the Wolverine prior to it's debut.

Based on what I've read; however, I think MOD's will be necessary for any kind of top end.

Thanks for your posts. Keep 'em coming if you don't mind.

Dino

Old 10-31-2006 | 09:09 AM
Pro Rider

People beat up the Wolverine before it came out becuase a lot of us were expecting something different. What people wanted vs what actually came out ended up being quite different.

It seems like a good machine. Dirtwheels did a shootout between the Scrambler and Wolvie and the Wolvie won. This was in spite of the Scrambler being faster on both topend and accelleration

Old 10-31-2006 | 10:02 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I think most riders actually fit into your category: They don't really need a full on utility, but could maybe benefit from having 4X4 once in a while if they get themselves into trouble out on the trail. I need another 4X4, and had high hopes for the Wolverine, but it tunred out to be more ute like than I had hoped (heavy!).

The Honda Rancher gets a complete makeover for 07, with a new 420cc fuel injected engine, etc. My current Rancher is sporty enough I guess, so I will wait to see what the new Rancher is like and might get one if it gets stellar reviews. But, my other option is to sell my present Rancher and get a Rhino, and that is how I am leaning at the moment.

Old 10-31-2006 | 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

just remember the top end on those wolverines is'nt to fast.

Old 10-31-2006 | 05:25 PM
Elite Pro Rider

the yamaha will actuly get stuck befor the polaris.... the polaris has actule 4 wheel drive.

dirtwheels is retarded somtimes,

they said...

" even tho the polaris is faster, handles better, and is alot more fun to race around on, we choose the yamaha to win"
???????

yeah there on somthign over there...

Old 10-31-2006 | 10:05 PM
|
Trailblazer

Wow.. Sounds like the magazine is in bed with Yamaha! Do you happen to have the link to the article? I'd like to check it out.

I went to a dealer today to look, feel and seat the Wolverine. Yes, it's a bit heavy but I still like the bike. It looks as though it may suite my needs. As for top end, as long as the bike will reach the mid 50's relatively easy I think I would be happy. I'm not looking to race and/or break any land records.

Happy Halloween Folks!

Quick Reply: I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help