Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006 | 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default I'm 40 With Riding Experience - Which ATV??? Please Help

The Renegades MSRP has been listed on BRP's site for months now @$9299 and dealers are already taking pre orders with most of the first shipments probably already sold.

I'd go with the Wolverine, I ALMOST got one. It is based on the Kodiak/Grizzly 450 platform, same engine and probably the same frame. The wolv. doesn't have a low gear. I like it's looks and would recommend this quad to anyone who is somewhat intermediate level in riding experience. It will get you anywhere any of the other quads will go and Yamaha tends to be pretty reliable.

Old 11-15-2006 | 12:05 AM
|
Trailblazer

I bought the Scrammy and so far it's the machine for me!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2006 | 12:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

my job is done here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2006 | 12:19 AM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 4wheelerfred
my job is done here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Not quite 4wheelerfred.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I'm going to need some advice on some MOD's. For example. I want a slip on White Brothers pipe but can't find the model that will fit the 2006. Also, rejetting necessary?

Old 11-15-2006 | 02:41 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dino1000
Awesome responses folks! Nice to know that there are good people like you guys to help out a fellow enthusiasts!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I took a trip to the local Polaris dealership today to check out the Scrambler. I liked the machine but not quite sold on it vs. the Wolverine. The dealer let me take it around the parking lot and I have to say that I liked the throttle response very much! Bike seems pretty powerful considering the weight & AWD. I then realized I am back where I started ..... battling what to do! SO.. went to a different Yama dealer and had the opportunity to start and throttle the Wolvy. I didn't get to ride the bike but could tell by throttle response that this bike would not have the Scrambler's power. I also recently read a post from someone that the Wolvy was a great girl's bike. If that's the case, I'm fairly certain it's not going to be what I'm looking for. (No disrespect ladies - I'm sure some of you could outride me (until I get some seat time!! :-))).

I'm so frustrated!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I'm not sold on either bike. Just not feeling it! I may go back to the drawing board on this one. The more I look at these bikes, the more I realize I may be happier with just a Sport/Trail bike. Seems like the more research I do the less I know what I want. Sorry! I must sould like a little "female dog" here [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. The good news is that in the next few days I get to ride a couple of my buddies bikes. I'm gonna get some seat time on a Z400, Quad 250 (not sure of the brand) and a Polaris 4x4 utility. Maybe then I'll have some kind of idea of what I need.

In the meantime, you all have been so kind with your posts. Wish me luck. My biggest fear is to have $6,000 to $7,000 in something I don't want and doesn't fit my needs! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

BTW - I wish I could afford the Can Am bike! If so, I'm sure I'd be researching the Quad!

Thanks folks!!!!
Dino

I got to be honest in that your words seem more sincere when you talk about the sport end of things than the typical feature comparisons your doing on the ute stuff.

Then again looking at your past experience in the sport I can understand why your obviously more into the performance end of things too.

Its not an uncommon situation though, and even one I was in myself, and also one I have seen many friends in too. The thing is that though you can surely be bored or even pissed on that rare occassion you may get in too deep with a sport machine its only a second compared to the enternity you would be suffering from spending your hard earned cash on a ute that just wasnt up to your performance expectations and left you feeling bored and unchallenged.

I cant tell you how you will use whatever you decide to buy, but unless you will be spending the majority of your time chugging thru deep mud I think you seriously need to put some thought into one of the many sport machines out there.

Even though I have watched experienced riders do amazing things on full on util machines like 60ft step ups on a 700 sportsman etc its still not anyware near the same thing for a returning rider and if you have enjoyed finding and pushing your limits in the past you will most likely end up doing the same thing.

Remember all age does is clog the mind with the potential for mishaps and trouble and the unavoidable lengthy reminders of our crashes etc (they just hurt longer lol).

Check them all out, but be honest with yourself and get what really feels right.....

good luck

Old 11-15-2006 | 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

Thread I think You should go utility Im also 40 and have both. I can't see my self seeding with a sport . Ive found That bikes that try to do everything Don't do any one thing well. Maybe a500 canam ,Brp or whatever they are calling themselves these days.