Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Honda 450R ~VS~ Suzuki 450 Injected???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda 450R ~VS~ Suzuki 450 Injected???

I am a Honda fan thru and thru however I have a couple of motor heads who recently told me to buy the new Suzuki 450 with Fuel Injection. This will be a hard transition for me howver I know that fuel injection will have smooth power and more power than the Honda 450R. I also heard the Suzuki handles better and look pretty cool too..

Is the Suzuki the way to go until Honda makes their fuel injection???

Thanks for the advice!!

Cell (951) 514-5150

Old 11-02-2006, 02:38 AM
Pro Rider

i wouldnt exactly say that. IMO, i think that the YFZ is still the best 450 out (yes a 450R owner is admitting it). the 450R engine is actually the most potent in stock form- begining with the 2006 model that is...(04/05s arent bad either but they are not as strong)

IMO, the YFZ is still the best handling (it's closer to a 250r so im a little biased [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) in short i do like the 450r overall, just dont think its a legend like the 250r...

all the 450's have their 'cheap' mods : YFZ-you can change to a slip on pipe (more for a full system), jetting & stuff and get a subsantial power increase and there is a 'free' cam mod for it too.... the HRC kit for the honda increases the 450R's power over 30% as well for like $300+/-. It makes it one bad dude. but i still see the YFZs around here kicking @zz and taking names...

the LTR has the $35 cherry bomb and in conjunction with another and stuff, makes a big difference. they say it gives it a boost in the bottom end - where it seems to be lacking in comparison to the other 450s.

how are you going to be riding it? mostly track? dunes? that may help determine what you need to get.

fuelinjection is the future on these bikes. its funny that most of the EFI is on the utes right now! but that will change. kawasaki is coming out with an aluminum framed EFI 450 WITH reverse very soon...Can am is coming out with a 450 that im sure will be efi...
if you are going to be doing allot of mixed riding like trails, dunes, occasional track..id go with a 700R raptor. its fuel injected and it vastly improved over the earlier 660 raptor.

but you being a honda fan thru and thru may not want to go that route... the yamaha vs honda crowds are very brand loyal. i'ved owed, and my my family has owned just about every brand and never really had problems with any of them. in the past, honda seemed like alittle less of a pain for some things like chain adjustment -good reason they used to own the patent- on the eccentric chain adjustment design but that has expired so YAMAHA jumped on it last yr, so did suzuki. all bikes will move towrds this simple, effective design, thank God.

Whatever you get, just take care of your stuff....id buy almost any brand (maybe not the unproven chinese stuff yet). if i like the bike and it seems like a well engineered design, then id buy it.

Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 AM
Trailblazer

I do mostly Glamis Sand Dune riding. I just didn't know if the EFI was substantially faster and more efficient. I still want the Honda BUT EFI seems to be nice and I don't want to wait for Honda. I need a bike this weekend. I have a 1986 Honda 250R with a 350 ESR motor all tricked out that I am selling. I am over the 112 Race Fuel and mixing of the oil. I want electric start and just go. I will miss her really bad but I am ready for a 4 stroke now, sad to say.

I heard the HRC with a Curtis Sparks was the best route for the TRX450R. Is it?

Would you buy the new Suzuki EFI?

Old 11-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 450R is the king of long distance desert endurance racing (Baja, Vegas-to-Reno, etc.)! For me, that settles the issure instantly..........

Guy camped by me at Ocotillo last weekend had a Zuki. I talked with him for a while, and he said it was holding up well. But, when the Suzuki can finish these races (it doesn't have to necessarily win, just finish with a descent time), then I might give it a second look.

PS-I highly recommend the kick starter over the electric! http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/485845.cfm