Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Am I a bad Dad ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I a bad Dad ???

Had to put my foot down today, was at a local Polaris dealer checking on some sled parts,the boy in tow. He wanders off to the show room while I'm at the parts counter, then comes running back with a glow in his eyes, saying, " Dad, you got to check this out !!" We go back to the floor, and he shows me an '06 Outlaw demo, looks like new, with a price of 5199, with an additional 300 sale price off, putting the price at 4899 !! The salesman said his 300ex could be worth up to 2000 in trade, and the kid even offered to sell his sled ( last 2 winters have been crappy,so he was getting little use out of it) this would still leave me with anywhere from 1000 to 1500 or more depending on the trade in values of the sled and quad. I looked at him and told him I just couldn't afford any more debt,with the new house, my car has 170,000 on it and needs replacement, so if he wanted it, he would have to get a job and work on financing himself ( he's 16 and has been dragging his feet getting a job). So we left with out it, and I've got a grumpy teenager on my hands, so was I too cheap? I feel bad not being able to help him out more, but I did pay for his 300ex and sled, so I'm not exactly the rottenest guy around, and my quad is 12 years old, and I feel I should be able to spend on me once in a while, and maybe teach him a little responsibility and the worth of money. So am I being a cheap a$$ Dad, or what?

Old 11-26-2006, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are definately NOT a cheap Dad or anything!
I can't even start to tell you how many times I walked into a dealer wanting to trade-in my Lakota for a KFX400. But I am glad I didn't, because I now have a job, and am saving up for the KFX450. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

But I'll tell you whot, that new Outlaw is one SICK quad! With the IRS and all.... it's really nice.
But to answer you question, no. You aren't being cheap. And, yes. Go out and buy you a new Chevy, along with a new quad! And who knows.... maybe they will have a two-for-one deal for quads. Hahaha. [i wish]

Z

Old 11-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

bad dad?? NOPE he is sixteen and should get a job. Then if he gets enough money sure let him trade his quad and sled in to get it. That is just my opinion.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

Man, that is tough. Truth be told, I would not have done it either. There is something to be said about having him earn it. I purchased ALL of my own by detasselling corn. Good summer job. Mondo hours but not year round. I personally think it is detrimental, potentially anyway, for a kid to have to have much of a job. In the long run the time spent would have benefited them more if applied to education, social and sport activities. He has the rest of his life to work.

That being said, he could probably sell his sled, quad and get a paper route or something small and with you as a cosigner, make small payments. That may be the best all around solution. He gets the quad, he makes the payments, the payments are low enough he could mow lawns, rake leaves and shovel snow to pay them. You come out helping him in more ways than one. If he misses a payment you guys trade quads. No more 12 year old quad for you. When he catches up, you trade him back. Another lesson learned.

Good luck! You are a caring, logical and thoughtful father. He has already learned something.

Jay

Old 11-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well Dad, were you working at 16 to afford a car, or whatever it was that you wanted money for? I know that I was working at the local burger flipping joint at 14. This is a problem that we parents have these days that our parents never seemed to have (guilt)...I can remember wanting a 3-wheeler for about a year before my parents agreed to match the funds that I earned to buy one.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:31 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!

Thanks for the comments, at least now I don't feel so coldhearted about leaving the quad behind. I grew up on a dairy farm , and we finished almost 750 hogs a year on top of that, so as soon as I was old enough to lug a bucket and a shovel, I worked my butt off for no pay, just the couple of bucks the old man would let us have to go out on the weekends !! My dad did buy each of us a car when we graduated from school and got a job, plus an old beater while going to high school, so it taught us the value of hard work and getting by with what you have. Maybe if my boy can hold a job, get good grades, and hold onto some money, I'll let him trade his 300ex in, I still would like him to hold onto the sled, it is a sharp 99 440 XCR I just rebuilt the motor on, and I want us to be able to ride together ( like the quads we both have). That would just mean more financing, but if he wants it bad enough, maybe he'll be willing to buckle down and work for it. I would just like to be able to get a few newer things for me, instead of fixing up the old stuff I drive all the time. I appreciate the replies from everyone, thanks for not dumping on me !!!

Old 11-27-2006, 08:03 AM
Pro Rider

No way. Even if your son was too young to work for it himself AND you had the money saying no still woudln't make you a bad dad.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

He's probably better off on the 300EX anyway! It's a superb little machine, and I wish I had kept mine.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I might have caved in, but then again my son isn't even 2 yet [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] What he needs is a 4x4 ATV so he can enjoy it in the winter too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Pshh, he needs SPEED!!! lol. Just kidding