Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help finding the perfect ATV for me, please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding the perfect ATV for me, please help

Originally posted by: MotoF150
maybe you don't know this but every ATV Polaris and Can Am makes is a belt drive! Any belt drive lacks the low end power you will need to serious fast track riding like wheelies and jumps, if ur out riding with other fast sport ATV's you will be the laughing stock, everybody will make fun of you cause ur running a belt drive, im just saving you the shame and embarressment.
hey girly boy your eiger against my 10 year old 2 stroke belt drive 400 polaris... that would be fun iv always wanted to see P.A i heard its a great state with the most technical trails

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

yeah how about we ignore motoF150, and motoF150 don't post here anymore.

Now, im either going to get the 2007 Polaris Outlaw 525 or the 2007 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4, which do you guys prefer, please tell me, and after you do that if you think another one would suit me better please show that aswell, thank you!!!

p.s. oh and how do i post pictures here?

Old 11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
DS2
Range Rover

It's not so much what we prefer, it's what do you need. You are looking at two totally different types of machines. You listed 4wd and reverse as requirements (between 350cc and 500cc as you originally stated). Only one of the two quads you mentioned has 4wd and reverse. Another one is a scrambler 500, as I mentioned before.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JDQuadRider
We all make fun of you on this board Moto and you don't run a belt drive transmission on your bike. You're the laughing stock of this forum. How do you bear the embarassment and lack of respect?
HEHE!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Trailblazer

well 4wd is not really a requirement but it is definitly a plus. Well, for now i would like to hear what you guys think is better, which one would you rather take and why and. My raptor 80 is an automatic clutch, how much different is it with the outlaw, im not used to shifting with a clutch, oh and if anybody knows if the 2007 wolverine has a twist throttle or push throttle please tell me (i prefer push throttle). Thank you!

Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2wd vs 4wd thing is something you need to decide for yourself. What do others in your area ride?? Are the sport bikes getting stuck all the time or not???

For me, I can ride 90% of the time on a sport quad. About 5% of the time it is nice to have 4wd and high ground clearance. About 5% of the time, if I didn't have 4wd I wouldn't be able to do the ride at all. My solution is to ride a sport quad absolutely everywhere I can, and take the (heavier less fun to ride) 4wd only when I know it will be necessary.

Old 12-01-2006, 04:25 PM
Trailblazer

im going to test drive these atv's sometime, until then can you guys say what you would prefer and why, and heres another quick question, what is the point of the new thor 50/50 boot, what do you use those for and compare them by what you use them for with regular atv boots. thank you!!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Those short boots are absolutely useless. You need protection up your calf, and here is a great example of why:

We saw a guy dump a big Kawi 700 (a huge ungainly pig imo) over in the trail in front of us. The quad went over on its side and onto his leg......he was wearing tennis shoes! The quad kept running at high rpm. I mean the wheels were turning like the throtle was pinned. The quad rocked back and forth on the guys leg for at least a minute until I got over there and hit the kill switch. He was the last one in his group, and his buddies (including his kid), just kept on riding and didn't even notice he was down. Had we not been there to witness it, I think he would have laid there for 20 minutes unable to get the huge quad off his leg.........

When he pulled this leg out, his whole calf was split from top to bottom. He was a huge fat guy (just like his quad!) and fat was bulging out of the wound all over the place......absolutely disgusting. He was bleeding very seriously, and my girlfriend gave up her nice expensive GoreTex jacket to wrap around it to stop the bleeding. (We never asked for the jacket back!)

If this guy had been wearing a proper MX boot, he would have walked away without a scratch!

Old 12-02-2006, 08:37 PM
Trailblazer

alright then i guess that 50/50 boot wouldn't be too good, now what boot would be good, a fox, alpinestar, which one. And im not exactly sure what size i would be, in regular shoes i am about a 9 in mens, and can someone post a good place where i can buy atv stuff and not be ripped off, and again outlaw 525 or wolverine 450? thank you!!

Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Originally posted by: BigFootWitness
alright then i guess that 50/50 boot wouldn't be too good, now what boot would be good, a fox, alpinestar, which one. And im not exactly sure what size i would be, in regular shoes i am about a 9 in mens, and can someone post a good place where i can buy atv stuff and not be ripped off, and again outlaw 525 or wolverine 450? thank you!!
Well Thor makes a great full size ATV boot that is very reasonable in price.

As far as what you want to buy you are seemingly all over the place. The Wolverine is a 4x4 with somewhat limited power and an auto trans......

The Outlaw is a KTM powered machine that is no doubt VERY fast and is also a 2wd 5speed with a manual clutch...

These are totally different animals.....

I've ridden a Wolverine 450 and I was somewhat impressed by the handling for a 4x4 heavy machine, but the power was limited and the ergonomics a little odd feeling for a Yamaha..

I've also ridden an Outlaw 500, and I was personally not crazy about it at all.... It was a great cruiser with great power, but the IRS was WAY TOO bizarre for me. It does strange things when pushed really hard in certain conditions and I could not get a bead on it........ It was horrible for anything on the MX track especially jumping and whoops.... On the trails it was nice as long as it was not pushed too hard in places, and it slid in turns like crap. Fact it it didn't want to slide it wanted to roll over...... I missed the predictable solid rear axle.

I think you need to figure out what is more important to you...... a 4x4, or a sport machine... A Wolverine will get you in the middle somewhat, but an Outlaw is really a pure sport machine......

If you are going to look at an Outlaw, look at some other sport machines closer unless you really want the IRS in which case the Outlaw is the only game in town....

Quick Reply: Need help finding the perfect ATV for me, please help