Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

KFX 700 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 10:03 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default KFX 700 ???

I'm 6'2 about 215 and buying my first quad. I've been researching for several months before I just go out and buy one. I was completely set on the Honda 400ex until I started reading about the Kawasaki KFX700. I need sport bike not a utility. I'll be riding in mostly open areas because I work for a builder and can play in all the neighborhoods before we start building houses. No real mountains or climbing or anything like that. I like the idea of the 700 b/c it's an auto so I don't have to learn to shift gears and it's liquid cooled and large enough to accomodate a guy my size. Can anyone give me some feedback on this machine?? Is that too much power for a guy starting out?? I'm open for any suggestions about which quad will be best for me and definitley some feedback on the Kawasaki machine. Thanks so much !!!

Old 05-29-2007 | 12:57 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default KFX 700 ???

I really thing this machine is a tank, but if you are a huge guy you have only limited choices. If you must have a big machine, I would pick the DS 650 instead, and learn to shift.

Doesn't sound like you are all that huge though, and I think you could fit on many other machines, that are far superior to either of those.

Old 05-29-2007 | 05:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default KFX 700 ???

The KFX700 is a great quad, it is a powerful quad and can get you in trouble if you are not careful. Do you have any experience on ATV's? Mine has been very reliable and I would recommend one to anyone. The ds650 is a nice quad, but it does not have reverse and on a quad that heavy, I think that is a function that is needed. I think you would be happy with the KFX700. I am about your same size and it fits me really well.

Old 05-29-2007 | 08:49 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default KFX 700 ???

Thanks! Does it drive like a utility or sport quad?? I want to be able to rip it up and take some small to medium jumps and stuff. Also would like to be able to whip that thing around and do some fish tailing and stuff. My boss has a utility quad and you can't slide that thing anywhere....you'll tip right over the side. So would something like the 700 suit me better or the Honda 400ex and just learn to shift gears and stuff??? Thanks for your help

Old 05-29-2007 | 09:25 AM
Trailblazer
Default KFX 700 ???

Starting out on a KFX700 ... lol

That would be like a 16 year old getting a brand new Corvette as their first car.

Old 05-29-2007 | 03:34 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default KFX 700 ???

What you are looking for is something that is refered to as a "play" quad....something for casual jumping and ripping around, but not necessarily on a track. Neither the KFX or the DS are play bikes...not by a very long shot!

If I were picking a quad exclusively for play riding, it would be the Yamaha 450. Any of the 450's will do fine, and either of the 400's will do the job as well. Just find whichever one fits you the best. Maybe even the Yamaha 700.

I have taught older kids and newb adults how to shift, and had them doing well in half an hour! This isn't something to be afrid of. Leave the automatics for the little kids..........

Old 05-29-2007 | 05:25 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Default KFX 700 ???

I'm 6'3 at almost 200lbs and can make a 300ex or Blaster rip around as good as the rest of them.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] You definately aren't to big for a 400cc.

If you want something sporty, and this is your first quad, I'd recommend and 400ex or Z400. IMO a 450 is a no no for any beginner. Both are well balanced machines that perform well and are stone reliable. Just know your limits and you will be fine.

As for learning a clutch and shifting, you might as well learn sometime, after a while it becomes 2nd nature just like breathing.

Old 05-30-2007 | 02:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default KFX 700 ???

The 700 is a great quad to play around on. You can go as slow or as fast as you want. I'm about your size and I really like mine. I feel like a clown on anything smaller.
I like everything about the quad except the factory shocks. I would not recomend this quad if you like big air. I just does not feel good to get big air with a quad that big. Some can, but it's not for me.
If you want to know if you can rip it up. Well, there is no problem there. They are a super trail quad IMHO.

Old 05-30-2007 | 10:52 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default KFX 700 ???

Hi, I'm not that concerned about big air. I'll be riding in very open spaces with mainly smaller jumps. My concern is that I'll get a 400ex or something and within 6 months be super comfortable and want a bigger or faster quad. However, everyone on here keeps telling me that buying a 700cc for my first quad is basically suicide. What are your thoughts?? Thanks so much I really appreciate the insight

Old 05-30-2007 | 11:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default KFX 700 ???

Well, here are my thoughts.
My 10 year old daughter rides my 700 on my ranch and she's not dead yet. I have a rule when she rides it. No more than 10 MPH. She follows that rule and she has no problem handling the quad. I would never let her ride in the hills, and she rides it only on dead flat land. Yes it's THAT easy to ride. The good thing about the 700 is you can go 2 MPH or 70 MPH or anything in between. That's why this is such a good trail quad.

My thoughts on this are. If you like to shift and are riding in open spaces you can go with the DS or the KFX700. Either will work and both are nice for the bigger rider. I went with the 700 because I NEEDED reverse. If you aren't in the hills you won't need reverse so you should check out the DS if you have a dealer near you.

The KFX is not the fastest quad from the factory but it is one of the funnest because it's so easy to ride. For me, I shift enough in my race car and I don't need any of that when I'm in the hills. I guess some people love to shift though.