Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Want to buy 2 new quads

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 06:53 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Want to buy 2 new quads

New to the forum, and looking for some realistic help, not salesmen info. I want to get 2 quads, one for me and one for the wife. Doesnt have to be the same machine's I have never really been around 4 wheelers but something I want to do. So I have very little experience with them. I will be mostly trail riding with the occasional mud riding. My pockets are not that deep so I cant spend 15k on them I really havent even priced them but hopefully not spend more than 8k for both. Any and all help is appreciated

Old 07-19-2007 | 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

This is a common problem to first timers (Like me),

What to get, What make a how big and from who...

Start with deciding what type of riding you are going to do, add to it your location, your own physical attributes (size & weight) and then how much money you have available - don't forget to consider how you are going to transport these machines and your personal equipment (helmets etc).

OK; Trails and some mudding - Utility style,

Size - ?? a 250 size machine will move a 200 lb person down the trail at about 30 mph nicely (no jumping and no racing) - comfort will be limited, consider 350-450 size. The 110 lb wife may enjoy the 250.

Make - who is in your neighbourhood to service them? A dealer can make or break any brand.

Transportation; do you own a truck?, trailer? Car capable of towing a trailer with TWO ATVs? Do you own two cars and two trailers? (lots to think about)

Money it the final factor - don't go cheap with a fixer upper, it will always cost more. Either buy new or used from a reliable party.

Sorry, no answers here - just more questions to think about.

Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2007 | 07:07 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Well both my wife and I are big people, so at least a 350 size machine

I do own a truck quite capable of towing a trailor.
I also own a small trailor that one would fit in but it needs work.

I do not have any gear ie helments, riding boots.....

I am pretty sure we have all the major dealers here in my town

thanks for the info

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

If you intend to ride mud(as in mud bogging) then at least one quad should be 4x4. For everything but the mud holes 2wd works just fine. With a little skill you would be surprised where even the sport quads can go. Personally, I prefer to ride sport quads and stay out of the gooey muck. That route is certainly a cheaper way to get into quads, but not every ones cup of tea. If you are going new, I would look into the Honda 420 Ranchers, Suzuki's Eigers, or the 400/450 Yamahas for utilities. New sports you are looking at 400's or smaller. The used marketplace opens up a bunch of opportunities for bigger machines, but unless you are riding a bunch of wide open trails or fireroads the 400's have plenty of power. Either way, get a properly fitted full face helmet. If it doesn't have a SNELL approval sticker forget it and find something that does. If you buy sportquads, I recommend riding specific boots. You can find decent versions for $100.00 to $120.00. Regular over the ankle work boots are fine for utes. Whenever riding any atv you should be wearing pants/jeans, long sleeve shirt, gloves and goggles too. The pants/shirt/gloves don't need to be atv/motorcycle specific stuff or anything, but oftentimes you can get a whole getup from a mail order firm including boots, pants, jersey, and gloves for under $150.00/person. Have fun shopping, stick to your budget, and don't skimp on the helmet. This sport is addictive, I am sure you will enjoy it.

Old 07-20-2007 | 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

OK, now we have a more complete picture.
Larger people need larger bikes (no insult intended) The extra power to move as well as the strength of the suspension are key - start at the 350 size and look strongly at the 400-450 size - this is a long term thing because it's cheaper to buy one machine rather that try to upgrade in six months...

A good idea is to find a place that rents - now you can try out different machines and compare the different sizes / types of ATVs - a little bit of expense now will save a lot later. Options that are good to have include automatic, winch, speedometer, EFI, and heated grips. For general purpose trail riding - a Utility class of machine covers most of the bases.

The truck and trailer combination is great, one ATV in each and reduced expenses for you - BUT watch out for the weight of the ATVs as well as the tie down points. The trailer has a definite maximum load rating and the ATVs start around 600 lbs. The tie down points of a truck should be solid enough to hold the ATV in place (a 600 lbs ATV puts a lot of stress on a tie down) check with your truck dealer.

If there are no shortages of reputable ATV dealers in your area you have a challenge ahead of you in choosing - there are lots of good ATVs out there and everyone has an opinion... Check with a friend or local club / group that has similar interests and learn from their experiences. Some of these people have been riding since they were 10 and they have a wealth of experience - that being said, they could be interested in a totally different style of riding than you ... decision time.

IF I may offer some ATVs to look at; the Honda Rancher, Yamaha Kodiak and Suzuki King Quad are all in the style of machine that you would be considering.

Keep in mind - opinions are like noses - everyone has one.

Old 07-20-2007 | 11:34 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Sounds like you are talking utility quad here, but that really isn't completely clear???? Are you willing to shift a manual transmission or are you going to insist on an automatic?????

Whether ute or sport, I would suggest something in the 400 class. Rancher if it's a ute, and 400EX or Z400 if it's a sport.

Old 07-20-2007 | 05:28 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

as far as the tranny goes I myself don't care, However Im sure my wife will want an auto. I really dont see myself going out and getting into places where I would need a snorkel or anything like that. I mostly will be using it up in the mountains roads and some trails no REAL mud.

Old 07-20-2007 | 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

Honda 420 for both of you. The do need to be shifted, but there is no clutch work involved (push button). Mountain roads - EFI is nice. Should be able to find left over 2007's at a discount. Used Honda 400s are also quite plentiful as many companies (oil&gas, forestry, etc.) use them as fleet ATVs. If you need the full Automatic, check out the Yamaha 400/450s.