Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Stupid Newbie Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007 | 04:04 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Stupid Newbie Questions

I'm considering picking up a couple used ATVs for the wife and I. I've ridden quads and 3 wheelers in the past but not for years so I'm pretty much ignorant of what's out there.

My concerns are ergonomics, reliability, ease of maintenance. Reverse gear would be nice as well, especially for the wife. Preference for electric start as well as head and tail lights. We both ride street motorcycles so manual clutch isn't a problem. I'm not looking for speed demon rides as much as something easy to get into the hobby with that we won't outgrow too quickly. I'm about 6' 0" with a long torso, she's about 5' 6".

Figuring mostly trail riding with occasional ventures off-trail. Obviously nothing really serious in the beginning. I prefer shaft drive 2 wheelers for the easy maintenance but I'm not opposed to chain.

As I said I used to ride off road on 2,3 and 4 wheels but it's been a long time. My wife has never done any offroading. Ideally I'd spend no more than $5k or so for the two, remember I'm looking for used right now.

Any suggestions from you knowledgeable, experience folks?

Old 08-04-2007 | 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"

It HAS been a while. Reguarding your concerns - You'd be hard pressed to find any adult ATV that does not have reverse gear, electric start and head/tail lights. Stuff like that has been standard equipment for years and years. Reliability of the major brands has ben good for over a decade. Used vehicles could have issues of course, but that would be a wear and tear type thing rather than original design. Ergonomics are also pretty good on most of the name brand machines - some will fit your size better than others, the only way is to test sit and see how things feel.

You should be able to get two used quads for 5K if they are small to mid size (under 400 cc) and over 3 years old. Most utility quads are shaft drove while most sport bikes are still chain driven.

I'd pick up a couple of ATV magazines or make a trip to a few dealers just to get an idea as to what is out there.

Jaybee

Old 08-04-2007 | 09:55 PM
Pro Rider

i whould try to pick up a z400 or a 400ex for yourself and like a 250 or 300 ex for her

Old 08-04-2007 | 11:28 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

She can shift a manual, so that is a huge advantage! For her, something in the 250 to 300 class. Probably a Honda 300EX or the new (but yet untested) Yamaha 250. Both these are chain drive and have better suspension than the Honda 250EX, which is a fine machine but has limited suspension because it is shaft drive rear end.

For you, one of the 400's will be a great choice. These are great handling machines of high quality, with bulletproof engines.

Old 08-04-2007 | 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Im kinda bias to the Polaris's due to the ease of operation, no shifting or anything like that, a nice smooth ride as well and plenty of power if and when ya need it, great for trail riding as well. 500 scramblers in the 01-02 range you should be able to get a couple for the 5k you are lookin at spendin.
Hope this helps ya.

Old 08-05-2007 | 03:06 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with Bigned1904 & Reconranger, 400ex or z400 for you and the 300ex for your wife (she may be fine with a 400 as well)

I just wanted to add that since you are buying used you should also keep an eye out for the KFX400, this is exactly the same as the Z400.

Old 08-05-2007 | 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

I love my 250ex and with a few mods the suspension can be very well. the front is fine but back is terrible. You sond like like you need a 400ex. If you want reveres with a 400ex, look into an 05 or newer model. It might cost more, but hey, reverse is great!!! lol As long as you buy something from the top 4. (honda, kawasaki, suzuki, and yamaha) you should be good to go. Dont buy any chinese crap because of price, you will be looking into alot of problems....

Old 08-05-2007 | 07:01 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Appreciate the info guys. I'm gonna start looking, anything anyone wants to add is welcome.

Old 08-10-2007 | 04:06 AM
Pro Rider

Z400 for you 300Ex for her definately.

Old 08-10-2007 | 07:16 AM
Pro Rider

here in a few weeks im going to sell my two quads. I have a 1995 Yamaha Warrior 350, it has a manual clutch and chain drive,. i also have a 1988 Honda 300 Fourtrax 4X4 wit ha freshly rebuilt front end,no hand clutch shaft drive,.
They both run great, look great, and have been babied for a long time. I would like to get about 5000 for both. Let me know if your interested.

Quick Reply: Stupid Newbie Questions