Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

need an opinion.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need an opinion.....

Hello I'm new to the forum I am looking to buy a new atv and need an opinion as to size and what kind to get. I am looking for a 4x4 with wench, but the problem is I weigh 350lbs, what is a good reliable model, easy maintiance, so what model should I get what is a good price for one. I rented a 250cc Honda Recon it was very rough. What has more of a cadillac drive? P.S> how far will $4,000 get me.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

A 4wd quad with winch puts you in the Utility ATV category. My wife and I often ride 2-up on our Honda Rancher TRX420FM with no problem at all, though our combined weight still doesn't amount to your 350 lbs. But this model still might accommodate you; which is a mid-size ATV. If I were you I'd try every utility quad possible in the mid to large range to get an idea of what feels good to you. The problem is the larger new utility quads are going to be a lot more money than the $4000 you specify. Even a new Honda Rancher 420 4wd like ours will run a little over $5,000 and of course the bigger utes are more. You might get something used in good condition that would fit your budget better.

Take your time and try out everything possible before making a purchase. The process will help you know when the right one presents itself.

Good luck big guy!

Old 10-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Trailblazer

Avalanche, if you want a caddy ride, look at the polaris sportsman, would recommend the 500, however, like woodrat stated, more $$$ will be needed if you buy new, you should be able to pick a 2nd hand one for 4k, welcome to the forums brother.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2007, 10:07 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say anything about your riding conditions????

The trouble with the big tall quads with mushy long travel suspensions is that when you get them off-camber, things can get exceiting! You are 350 pounds, but just imagine laying there in a ditch with a rolled 700 pound quad laying on top of you.....

You probably need a side-by-side, but you won't find one in that price range.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi ya'll got one today a 2004 Suzuki Twinpeaks 700 4x4 v-twin with a brand new 2500 warnwench and 2 yr warranty, I paid out the door, with tax tag and title, $5000, how do you all think I did, what are your thoughts on this ATV

Old 10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Used or a left over brand new one???

Old 10-15-2007, 07:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

it was used a trade in from a 65 year old guy it has 500 miles/ 90hrs very clean

Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Congratulations Avalanche! I think you got a great deal, especially considering the two year warranty. Suzuki makes a quality product, and you got a big one appropriate for your size. Now take it easy on that monster, at least for a while until you really know what you've got on tap there.

Oh, did you get a blue one or a yellow one?

Old 10-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks wood, I got the blue, how smooth do you think it will ride, I'm soexcited I have to wait to take it out till they get the plate to install the winch. Also i need a trailer to haul it any ideas on size and a good company thats reliable but not to expensive? I live in clearwater, fl .

P.S. I have a dodge charger so the trailer can't be to heavy.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 AM
Range Rover

I guess you know you're going to need to put a receiver hitch on your car, preferably the 2" x 2" size. This refers to the square hole where the ball mount is inserted. The ball mount is the steel piece that holds the ball itself, which will be 2" diameter for a small trailer. Then not many cars are wired for towing a trailer either, so you'll have to tap into the wiring and connect a plug that matches the one on the trailer to have lights and be legal. There are many types of plugs for trailer lights so don't buy the plug kit for your car until you have the trailer, to be sure they match.

Fortunately a relatively small trailer will suffice to haul one ATV; see the small motorcycle trailer I used to haul mine home on My Rancher 420 Page. But where you need to buy one, I'd look for a deal on a 5' x 8' highway trailer Something Like This. It doesn't have to tilt, you might find something with a tailgate that serves as a ramp. Places like Home Depot and Lowe's have relatively inexpensive trailers like this. Be sure to price a new one before you buy a used one to make sure you don't pay too much. Happy hunting.

Quick Reply: need an opinion.....