Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

New Baja Motorsports 400cc 4x4 $1,999, good offer????

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Baja Motorsports 400cc 4x4 $1,999, good offer????

There is a clearance sale at pep boys that includes the Baja Motorsports, Wilderness 400-U ATV. It was originally $3,999 2 months ago, but now its on sale for $1,999. Since I dont know much about this atv, it really seems like a good deal. I mean where else can you get a NEW 400cc 4X4 ATV for under 2 grand. I have tried to find more info on it and have read that they are made by JIANSHE which is a company associated with YAMAHA. Its seems too big a deal to pass up, I mean $1,999 for a new 400cc 4X4 is not bad at all.

I am wondering what you guys think about it, or maybe somebody owns one or knows somebody that bought this Wilderness 400-U. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Heres a link to the Jianshe 400JS, which is almost identical to the Pep Boys one.

http://www.jianshetrade.com/newproduct/atv/sy1.asp

Old 11-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

Heres a link to Baja's Website showing the Wilderness 400-U

http://www.bajamotorsports.net/ATV/wd400u.htm

Old 11-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I purchased one of these ATV's as a second ATV for my wife and friends that come up to the cottage. So far, I've put about 120 KM (70 miles) on it and I've been please. My cottage is on the edge of Algonquin park hear Halibuton, Ontario and there is some pretty rough terrain. The ATV took whatever we tossed at it. I am still being careful not to go more than half throttle to break it in gently, but I've gone through water, mud, rocks, etc without any issues. We even had to tow out another ATV out of the muck and I got through without problems.

I think the ATV is in expensive becuase it is made using older technology and they were probably able to buy the machines and engineering inexpensively. Now add the cheap labour in China you have a reasonably priced toy.

My other ATV is a 2002 Polaris 325 Magnum, and I've take it through some nasty terrrain, and I sure the Baja will be able to do the same. Both are roughly the same, except the Polaris you can engage the 4 wheel drive while moving, but the Baja you have to stop. No big deal some big expensive ATV's are the same.

If find the CVT transmission belt a little noisey, but it also seems to be quieting down as it's breaking in (or I am getting used to it :-)). Last weekend it was below 0 C (32 F) and it start on the second turn of the engine. I've had nothing to complain about it so far.

I went out with a group of seven guys on it's first weekend, we did 75 KM (45 miles) and they all tried it and I got to compare it with a brand new ArticCat 500. The Cat was beautiful and had lovely independent suspension, however I found it rode very high and I actually prefer the size of the Baja instead of the Cat. My Polaris is small also so I guess I like a smaller ATV. No one in the group had anything negative to say about the Baja.

The Baja is not as refined as the newer ATV's but if you are climbing rocks, going through mud and doing cottage chores I think it's great. So far I've been very happy with it.

Ask me in a year and see how it is going. I've had the Polaris since 2003 and have only had to do standard maintenance on it. Here's hoping they have good quality controls and in a few years I'll be as happy with it as I am now.

Old 11-15-2007, 11:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

BIGRUBBERDUCKY

Thanks for the reply, it helps in deciding to buy one. I am curious about other aspects of the Widerness 400-U atv. I have never owned a CVT atv before so I am curious about low end power to get through the rough stuff on the trail. I always prefer High and Low gears, and wonder if the 400cc engine with CVT can do the job or not. I mainly will use it for hunting and on trips to the beach, and dont plan on abusing it that much.

Knowing you own one, do you have any information on who makes these atv's?
I have an idea that they are made by Jianshe but I am not 100% sure, because they look identical to them.

link to Jianshe website,

http://www.jianshetrade.com/newproduct/atv/sy1.asp , click on JS400ATV

Overall, is the $1,999 price at Pep Boys a good deal or not?

Do you have any pictures you can post or email me at juan91382@sbcglobal.net

Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Late welcome to the forum juan91382! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I think for 2K its a heck of a deal. As for the CVT... it is a really decent way to get power to the ground. My Jetmoto and Yamoto 150 are CVT driven and if they can get traction they are pretty unstoppable. I dont think you would be disappointed in the CVT at all.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

MyWifesquad

Thanks for the welcome,

I guess the CVT transmission would'nt be bad at all, I am so use to choosing gears. Thanks for the reply and like you say it seems like a "heck of a deal for 2K". I am seriously thinking about getting one this weekend, and with "No Interest until January 2009" I think its an even better deal.

Thanks Again, and more opinions would be appreciated.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:31 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: juan91382

MyWifesquad

Thanks for the welcome,

I guess the CVT transmission would'nt be bad at all, I am so use to choosing gears. Thanks for the reply and like you say it seems like a "heck of a deal for 2K". I am seriously thinking about getting one this weekend, and with "No Interest until January 2009" I think its an even better deal.

Thanks Again, and more opinions would be appreciated.</end quote></div>

Your Welcome, The one comment I should add is its only going to be a great deal if you are good with a wrench. If your not it could be a night mare. If you do get one please keep us updated with how it turns out.

Old 12-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Both my ATVs are CVT. I put put them through their paces towing heavy stuff. So far I've had not trouble. A few of my friend who have gear boxes will move to CVT when it's time to get another toy.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer

The thing that concerns me about the Chinese made quads (bikes, mopeds, etc.) is parts availability. If something breaks can you get parts for it? How about 5 years from now? With a more established brand you are pretty secure in knowing that if something breaks it can be fixed in perpetuity.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the same concern but Canadian Tire is selling them in Canada (Huge Retailer) and you can get part sfrom their parts counter. Now that being said, I've had trouble getting a listing for an oil filter and was told that was becuase they are so new to the corporation they are still inthe process of getting the part numbers and loading their system. I've also been told that you can take the machines to Canadian Tire for Repair.

Quick Reply: New Baja Motorsports 400cc 4x4 $1,999, good offer????