Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Please Help me out on what is the best for the buck

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help me out on what is the best for the buck

I am looking to buy a new quad here within the week I have every major dealer within 30 minutes of my house so brand is not a problem. I am looking to try to stay around the $5500 range.
Looking at a utility quad for work on the farm, but will be used for trail riding also.
Have been researching around the 400 size.
Just not sure what is the best bang for the buck and what really has the best incentives right know. I am getting confused with all these different models out here.
Give me some opinions on what is best and what to for sure to stay away from.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I probably won't be able to give great advice being I just purchased my 1st ATV but I have always relied on Honda for dependability. I have always had Honda motorcycles and they are great. I purchsed the 400 EX for $3995 with no slaes tax!! MSRP is $5995. I don't know where you live but if you decide to get a Honda and want to save some money (alot) try this place out.

www.southernhonda.com

Old 11-21-2007, 11:16 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Honda 420,Rancher,400 Suzuki Eiger/King Quad are two bang for your buck ATVs for work or play.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:19 AM
Range Rover

Finding the right ATV can be tough. Make a list of what's most important to you and spend the time to do the research. All the manufacturers make great machines, but each one excels in different areas. I've had the Yamaha 350 Bruin 350 (now Grizzly) and the Can Am Outlander 400, but both were used for trails no work. Both were great fun to ride and handle.

You need to go to the manufacturers websites for info on current interest rates/incentives. Good luck.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

The big bear 400 should be great for work with the low gearing, differential lock, semi auto transmission. One of my friends has one it and handles fine on the trail. It is probably one of the slower 400's out there with its low gearing but it still goes 40..and 40 in the woods is fast enough.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:21 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Big Bear cost more than a 400 Eiger and is less versatile. The BB will scream at only 45 mph because of its gearing, the Eiger can cruise smoothly at 45-50 without sounding like its going to self destruct,yet has a low range for when you want to grunt it out for work.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Well like I said its not fast..and for cost more..a couple hundred dollars more..so thats not much. Just throwing out another option, just because you don't like it doesnt mean he won't.

They are not that much different in price ..atleast here..your price may be different elsewhere.

Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

Aircraftfixer, earlier this year I was in your position, looking for a good utility quad to do exactly what you mention. I read a lot about different utility quads, but that will only get you so far, so I finally took a stab in the dark and settled on the Honda Rancher 420, TRX420FM. It has performed beyond my expectations. The photos on my page here (camera icon) show how I've put mine to work, and it's no slouch on the trail either. In fact it rips! Give the Honda Rancher 420 serious consideration.

Discloser: This admittedly bias opinion is based only on my limited experience, but it's been so good that I have to call a spade a spade. If it were nothing but a pile I'd be just as honest about that.

I think I paid $5,199 out the door at the local Honda dealer.

I should also add that I'm not one inclined to go for performance modifications. I think there is more inherent value just taking good care of a stock machine that performs well enough. So the accessories I've added are for functionality, not speed. But did I mention it rips?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

I bought a Polaris 500 X2, it has a pick up box on the rear that transforms into a passenger seat. Very good atv for work!! This is a full size atv, not a small toy.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought an 07 Honda Recon 250 and couldn't be more happy, I thought about buying a big 4x4 with all the bells and whistles but thought about it for a while and figured that I didn't need anything bigger, its a great machine for hitting the woods right after work or just on the weekend, keep in mind I'm a 180 pound man and I like to ride pretty aggressive. Sometimes bigger is not always better, it all depends on your riding habits good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply: Please Help me out on what is the best for the buck