Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Just Purchased First ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Purchased First ATV's

Ready or not we have thrown ourselves into the atv world. My wife and I just purchased 3 new Honda's. A TRX90EX for my daugther, a TRX250EX for myself and a 250 RECON ES for my wife.

We are brand new to the atv world. We both rode a little bit growing up but that was years ago.

So from all you experienced atv riders, do you think we purchased good bikes? Any good advice for 3 beginners?

Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

They are as good as any. At least you didn't get anything with rediculous power and size. You may want that later on once you get a bit "seasoned" but, for now, you did fine. Make sure you all wear helmets when you ride.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

good choices! soon enough you'll be buying a 400ex [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All excellent machines! I have owned all three, and never had a problem with any of them. I would however, have picked a 400EX for you!

I personally avoid the ES shifting system. Lots of posts lately on problems with them. Some components have been recalled.

One thing, the tires on the 250EX are pretty lame. They are balooney and make the quad a little tippy. I replaced ours with ITP TracStar radials, and it really improves handling and contributes to suspension.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you have made some good choices. The next thing is to get yourselves to a rider safety course and then have some fun. How old is your daughter? When she is old enough to ride a 250 might be a great time to upgrade your own ride!

Old 12-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

sounds great, glad to have you as part of the atving community.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input guys. As for helmets, that's a no-brainer we will be sure to wear them at all times. My daughter is 9 and will probably not be ready for the 250 for quite a few years. Looking forward to riding. My dauther and I are going out for the maiden voyage tomorrow. My folks live about 25 miles from us and have about 250 acres of farm land to ride on. Very easy riding area which will be a good start to get acquainted with the new machines.

I'll let ya know what we think after the first ride tomorrow.

Thanks again for your thoughts

Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

You well have a blast in this sport, "Bring a rope" you can,t get 3 ATVs stuck all at once so something will pull the other out . LOL

Old 12-13-2007, 10:17 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

There are some things you will want to do on a new machine. First, break it in hard (http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm). This will seat the rings properly. If you don't do it, the engine will never be quite right. I do hillclimbs to seat mine......

Do an early oil change to get the metal shavings out of the engine, like at 1 or 2 hours. (None of these machines have oil filters, so an oil change is real simple.) Use Honda GN4 oil during break-in, then change to HP4 or a full synthetic later if you wish.

Also change the gear oil in the final drive early on (250 and Recon), for the same reason.

Absolutely be sure that you do a valve adjustment at 20 hours (then every 200 hours after that)!!!

After that, just regular oil changes and keeping the air filter clean is all you need to do in terms of maintenance.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok first ride is over. Just my daughter and I went cause wife is out of town. Daughter LOVED it!!! She's a natural. I only let her go ride in first gear for the first couple hours. Then into second for a little bit. Can't wait to do it again!!!!

Quick Reply: Just Purchased First ATV's