Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Newbie needs help with choosing a ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needs help with choosing a ride

Begun looking at new 4wheelers to plow/skid small trees/other light yard work (tilling, grading etc.)/ and of course trail riding locally. I have only ridden three atvs - an older 250 yamaha, an older 400 polaris and an older honda. The last two were both 4x4, and ridden on the same trails back to back. I loved the ride on the Polaris and was sold immediately. So back to the present I went to our local store who sells Polaris, Suzuki and Yamaha models and only got to sit on and jab about the Pol and Zuks since they had no Yammies on the floor (only in the warehouse). They were offering three Pols to me, all 07s: 500 EFI w/ winch, upgraded wheels and tires for 6699 + setup/tax, 500 EFI stock for 6199 + setup/tax, and 500 HO stock for 5799 + setup/tax. I sat on both the 500 EFI and an 07 camo Zuk 450 KQ which was 7199 + setup/tax (I think). My initial impression was the seat on the Pol was better suited for me but the Zuk seat was too low. I am 6'3" and my thighs/knees were angled upwards on the Zuk but perfectly parallel and comfy on the Pol so I was leaning towards the Pol. I didnt get to sit or see a Grizz for comparison but they do have an 05 660 Griz for 5799 that I may check out tonight.

I have a couple ?'s since I am new to this and need guidance from y'all.
1. Do the 07 Pols have any kind of hill descent control like the 08 500 EFI does?
2. How are these prices? (these guys are the only game in town and not sure I can get outta town to a bigger dealer anytime soon)
3. What would you recommend for my needs (utility/sport atv) and why?

TIA,
Jay

Old 12-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get sucked in by cush suspension! It is great for cruising flat land, but when you get into nasty technical off-camber stuff, all that body roll from the soft long travel suspension will make it dive on the downhill side.

Just imagine that you are on a big mushy 700 pound machine, side hilling through rocks on a 40 degree slope, and the thing is leaning to the downhill side. Better be ready to jump quick...and do be sure to jump to the uphill side!!!

When things are really nasty, I'll take a tight SRA machine every time.......

Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I realize that and that I am a novice rider but when I rode those two machines (cushy Pol vs SRA honda) back to back on the same trails I had a much harder time negotiating the trail with the honda than the pol. There was a uphill rock section that I walked right up with the pol but took me two or three tries with the honda due to feeling i was going to flop...I now prefer the IRS ride way more. Keep in mind (not sure if it matters too much though) I also own a lifted jeep that I wheel whenever I get a chance and that thing can go almost anywhere so I truly aprreciate SFA and SRA!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:26 AM
Pro Rider

Based on your riding criteria, I'd say just about any of the machines you mentioned will work just fine.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of riding the Polaris Sportsman on technical trails. While the ride is nice and they're stable for an IRS machine, I'm not a fan of how they descend hills. Maybe things have changed for '08 but as far as I know, the Polaris only offers 2-wheel engine braking (as opposed to 4-wheel). This makes a big difference when going down a steep, slick hill. Also, I'm not a fan of the single lever braking. It's nice to be able to control how much rear vs. front braking used when descending hills.

For work around the yard, however, the Polaris is a great choice.

I am 6'3" and own a 2005 Grizzly. The only thing I really don't like about it is the fact that it vibrates more noticeably than other quads I've owned. Other than that, I can ride it all day (which I have through the mountains) and not feel fatigued. I put some ATR rims and Holeshot tires on it and I have no complaints now with its controllability when riding on technical trails. If I were you, I'd hold out for a new Grizzly if you choose to go that way. Test drive one of those before you make a decision. Most people agree that it's the best Ute-ATV available right now.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

in 07 the deluxe models have ebs and adc. it sounds like the one with upgraded tires and rims and winch is a deluxe.look on the handel bars there should be a switch to turn on and off the adc. in 08 ebs and adc is standard except on the h.o.
the prices are'nt to bad i would try to talk him down some since they are last year models.you can go to other dealers near by and get prices. my local dealer only has 3 or 4 quads a couple of dealers about an hour away has better prices and selection. the best prices i've seen is a place in tenn. but it's a 10hr drive one way for me.might be worth the trip though. it's called abernathy's do a goggle might be closer to you or worth the trip

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

ebs is rear wheel braking but the adc is 4 wheel braking much better system

Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just got off the phone w/ the dealer and found out two things: Only the 08 EFI pols have the adc so that 07 500 EFI does not (I am guessing it has ebs rear only, and the handle bar only had the awd switch) and the non EFI 500 pol is an 08 not an 07. Plus they have no new Grizz at that store, but he does have '08 400, 650? and 700 at the other stores available to move.
I live in Mass. (on the VT border) so all my wheelin is in the woods (no dunes) and the next closet store is in NY about 1.5 hr away.

Any reason to be wary of this used Grizz?:
http://www.ronniesadams.com/ne...0&veh=13137&pov=681500

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

the 07 500 efi deluxe has ebs and adc.they might not have a deluxe in store.get an '08 the price should'nt be much more.i've heard bad thing about the 660 motor but like the rest of them there's good and bad one's out there.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

Did you check out the Polaris X2? It's the one with the pick up bed that flips into a 2 seater. This is by far 1 of the best all around atvs!
07 Deluxe models, have 2500 winch and Polaris wheels/tires, rear work lights,have ADC, it isn't marked on the switch, physically look to see if it has ADC!, and in 08 ADC is standard and the switch is marked 2wd/AWD/ADC.
The X2 also has turf mode, 1 rear wheel drive to keep from tearing up the yard!
The Polaris with ADC is one of the best 4wd engine braking systems out! Polaris is a very good technical trail ATV! The extra 6" length of the X2 makes it even more stable on hills.
Which ever machine you get, the Deluxe or fancy version is the better bang for the buck! You can't add winches and wheels/tires for the little extra you pay up front.
Get EFI, carbs are obsolete!

Why buy used Griz when for a few $$$ more you can get a better machine with warranty?

Old 12-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only owned 3 avt's in my life time , make that 4 atv's i almost forgot 1 a freind gave me so i would go riding with him when he could take off from work !

The 1st was a 86' Honda TRX350 Foreman 4x4 it was the scarest quad i ever have riden in my life , with heavy straight axle front diff if one wheel went in a hole the other wheel would come off the ground ; it was the same way with the rear double shock's on the rear swing arm rear axle !

But within the first 6 month's i could ride as well and go anywhere any atv could , and when it came to swamp's i was the one pulling the IRS machine's out when they got stuck and couldn't back out or go forward ; i just had to get used to it and i could go around in deeper stuff in order to pull them out !

And on my 2nd atv it was 93' Suzuki LTF4WD 300 King Quad with four wheel FIS with a narrower width wheel base , and i got stuck on it going through the same swamp's !

My 3rd quad was a 2006 Arctic Cat 400 FIS 4x4 and so far it has gone everywhere the other 2 did with out getting stuck , and rock crawling and traversing off chamber trail's with my brother on his 2004 Honda TRX350 FM Rancher4x4 ; i have gone through places where his rear wheel would come of the ground and he would have get off on the up hill side to make it through !

Then he would warn me to be carefull because i have no leg's below the knee's , and i would come through the trail with out a wheel coming off the ground the first time i rode the Cat ; but the foreman was a defferant story !

And on the 99' Polaris Spotsman 500 HO it only had ebs , and i had to use the brakes to much on steep hill's , and the AWD you couldn't lock it in to 4x4 you had to let it deside when 4x4 was needed ; and even with AWD was turned off it would lockup the front wheel when the rear wheel would spin and that is the reason when i bought a new quad i bought the AC so i could deside when i wanted 4x4 and 2x4 only !

No brand bashing here because , anything man made can have lemmon's ; so ride them all then you choose the one you like best !...........

Quick Reply: Newbie needs help with choosing a ride