Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Brute, Grizz, Sportsman, or King- Cant Decide between the 4

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brute, Grizz, Sportsman, or King- Cant Decide between the 4

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lancems007

I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic about the tilting table test Zorro?

I'd argue that I can certainly pick a best overall machine. In fact, we'll do it and even explain how we picked a best overall. Without letting the cat out of the bag, I will tell you that the final winners were not chosen simply by me alone. You'll have to wait a few weeks to see for yourself.

I can find something I like and dislike about every machine. Remember, we are picking a best "overall" considering all riding situations. I believe we owe it to our readers to give them an accurate evaluation, because alot of guys don't have the capability to test ride all of them. So....we sort of have to tell them what we feel.

So.....if we run it like a science experiment and expose each machine to the same test riders and the same riding conditions, we can certainly pick a best overall machine.</end quote></div>

Not to get off topic but why did Quad not include in the the test a Sportsman 700 or 800?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DODGE57HEMI

Not to get off topic but why did Quad not include in the the test a Sportsman 700 or 800?</end quote></div>

We did have a Sportsman 800 in the 800 battle. It lost to the 800 Outlander.

What we did was essentially have a bracket shootout. We picked the winner of the 800's, winner of the 750's, and winner of the 700's. What we'll do next month is pit the winners of each bracket against one another for the finale.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure if you are being serious or sarcastic about the tilting table test Zorro?

Why not? Center of gravity test or stability test to see which one can actually lean the most. Some with make up for it in ergonomics but I think it would be a cool test none the less. It certainly has more merit than a top speed test don't you think?

Old 04-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Not to get off topic but why did Quad not include in the the test a Sportsman 700 or 800?</end quote></div>

What we did was essentially have a bracket shootout. We picked the winner of the 800's, winner of the 750's, and winner of the 700's. What we'll do next month is pit the winners of each bracket against one another for the finale.</end quote></div>

I respect Quad descision for winner in the 800 shootout. The outty is a heck of a machine but I would never pick a quad a winner that gets water into the trans as much as it did going through water/mud esp for the price you pay for the outty. But this is just my opinion and I was not there to see the test.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

Why not? Center of gravity test or stability test to see which one can actually lean the most. Some with make up for it in ergonomics but I think it would be a cool test none the less. It certainly has more merit than a top speed test don't you think?</end quote></div>

Um.....I hear what you're saying, but honestly, how many of our readers have a tilt table. Plus, I'm not sure it would give us any accurate, usable results. A tilt table would do very little to show how well the suspension performs or how the chassis responds to rider input. What I mean is, I think I could pull the shocks off a quad and make it perform awesomely on a tilt table test with no rider. But.....put a rider on the thing and ride it and within seconds, you can totally de-value the tilt table test.

I do like how you think though. I think a better test might be how balanced the machine is. If you took 4 scales like they use on Indy cars, you could see how well balanced the total weight of the machine is at all 4 corners. I would bet my paycheck that they all aren't equally balanced!

I also agree with the idea of a top speed test. Most 4x4 owners could care less about it. I think that's why the Rincon did so well in our testing. It doesn't blow people away with speed or power. But....ergonomically, it's just unbelievable. Plus, the handling is arguably the best in the business. It's also really small and nimble, and super reliable. It doesn't have a diff lock or low range, but I've plowed snow and pulled trailers with a Rincon without ever having an issue.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:50 PM
Range Rover

What we did was essentially have a bracket shootout. We picked the winner of the 800's, winner of the 750's, and winner of the 700's. What we'll do next month is pit the winners of each bracket against one another for the finale.</end quote></div>

I respect Quad descision for winner in the 800 shootout. The outty is a heck of a machine but I would never pick a quad a winner that gets water into the trans as much as it did going through water/mud esp for the price you pay for the outty. But this is just my opinion and I was not there to see the test.</end quote></div>

I hear you Hemi! Believe me, it was a really tight contest and a tough decision. If the Can-Am wouldn't have had the slipping CVT issue, it wouldn't have been nearly as close. I think the Polaris has alot of good points as well. It's super super comfy. But, in the end, I'm content with choosing the Outlander over the Polaris.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm in the same boat....looking to buy a new atv and can't decide. I'm really liking the Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, but am concerned about how heavy it is. I do want kind of a sportier type of utility atv that i can mess around with and at the same time be able to plow the snow off my driveway and carry camping gear on. Does a heavy atv make it less mobile or not as fun to ride? Comments?

Old 04-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: srbraith

I'm in the same boat....looking to buy a new atv and can't decide. I'm really liking the Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI, but am concerned about how heavy it is. I do want kind of a sportier type of utility atv that i can mess around with and at the same time be able to plow the snow off my driveway and carry camping gear on. Does a heavy atv make it less mobile or not as fun to ride? Comments?</end quote></div>

What car do you drive? whats it weight? is it less fun and harder to drive than your neighbors car?
The 100lb differance in weight is barely noticable, I can't lift 700 lbs. nor can I lift 600 lbs. so what does it really matter?
The Polaris weighs more because it has more on it. If you add the extras to the lighter quads they will weigh near the same! The Fuji 500 is a very strong engine and only the Rotax 500 v-2 out does it.
If you want sporty get a sport ATV. A utility aka pick-up atv isn't considered sporty by anyone.
If you want sporty 4wd try the Renegade.

Weight doesn't matter for trail riding!
Yes weight matters if you are racing!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Trailblazer

Priesman64
Why did you post this blog?
After all that is said & done you stated you are a Yamaha fan?

Most of the belt drive quads are pretty close to the same other than money?

It's either gears or tears on the trail?
Buy a Honda 3.9% finance

Foremans: have huge low end torque with a five speed (trans)
Rubicon: Best transmission ever installed on a quad! Hydrollic no gears or belts
Rincon: Softest & best handling comfortable quad ever made as stated by Dirt Wheels magazine.

If your looking to mud or drag race buy something other than a Honda they are neighter the fastest or have that locker front axle? (SO-WHAT)

Most trails we travel on here in Mich. 12 to 21 Mph is a pretty fast clip

I like to have fun with out all worrying about ongoing belt adjustments what springs should I buy on & on, belt slippage, crappy mpg if I dont run my quad in low gear up to a certain speed other wise I can glaze the belt. Special tools to deal with playing with your belt adjustments & replacements.

Honda first came out in 1970 with the first ATV I/E (ATC) And they have been a world leader ever since, why else do you think they stay away from belts? a belt system is cheaper to manufacture than a gear driven transmission. Belts are a non stop service issue and Honda does not want to deal with non-stop warranty issues. (Bad business to produce a machine that needs ongoing service)

I could careless what all you mudheads have to say differently that is a fact. I'll wave as I pass you by having a good time while you are broke down playing with your belt crap.

Garman

Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
Trailblazer

well i posted this blog with out saying that i was going to do any trail riding so i dont know why you posted that, two i said i need a locking diff to do the work that i need to do, and three if i could get a rincon with a locking front diff then i might consider but since it doesnt then i look away from it

i want a quad that i can go out and hang with my friends that isn't the heaviest, or the fastest but the one that will work for my conditions around my house

i dont go out and ride many trails and the ones that i do are very small

Quick Reply: Brute, Grizz, Sportsman, or King- Cant Decide between the 4