Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Thinking about the Renegade 800..,.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about the Renegade 800..,.

I am looking for opinions on what you would buy if you were looking for an all around great ATV. I want a 4x4 so that I can go where I want to. I also want to have a lot of fun on trails. I have been looking for about a month, and I think the Renegade 800 is what I am looking for. Just looking for opinions before I pull the trigger. Thanks.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, now I have added the 08 King Quad 750 to the mix...any opinions?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I would take the Renegade over the King Quad, especially the all black X version of the Renegade. That is one bad to the bone sport 4x4 if you ask me.

DV

Old 04-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Just bought a 750 King Quad, It is faster than I ever imagined or ever needed!!!! nice ride!!! It will rip your arms off!!!

I have a 2002 Vette and an old Mustang hotrod with a ton of power so I needed my quad to match.... It does!!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Range Rover

What will you be using it for? The Renegade is a great bike no doubt about it.. might be a little overkill though if you just want a good all rounder I would say look more at the King Quad, or even the Outlander they might be the better choice. The Renegade is a Hybrid, cross between a racing quad and a Utility/trail bike. it is super light with a big engine. If you want speed and power the Renegade s the best choice. if speed is not as important to you. maybe the king quad would be better. easier to put a winch on it, and you can use it for plowing, and yard work and what-not. The renegade could also be used for plowing I suppose, but I think you'll find it harder to find assessories for it. it is marketed more to the Adrenaline junkies.

whatever you choose have fun.

Old 04-26-2008, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

If you are going to consider any other ATVs besides the Renegade and the King Quad, why not take a look at the Grizzly 700. It sounds like it would fit the category of ATV you are looking for to a tee (all around great ATV).

I just did the most difficult ATV trail today that I have ever done in the 10 years I've been riding ATVs. The trail took six hours of steady riding to complete, and every foot of that trail was in low range 4 wheel drive. There were some insane steep climbs with big rock ledges mid-way up the climb, and there were several long stretches where you had to walk your quad through because the sidehill was so steep it would roll with the rider on board. Even if you got off the seat and stood with both feet on the uphill side footboard it wasn't enough, the ATV would still roll. You had to walk below the quad on the side of the hill and lean your shoulder into the ATV to keep it from rolling. And every ATV on the ride today had to do that, because that particular section of trail was just plain impossible otherwise. The fellow that led the trail today rolled his Rincon (ouch). The Grizzly 700 did fantastic all day long. The center of gravity is so much lower than the Grizzly 660s were that it will climb things the Grizzly 660 couldn't touch. I have tried a few of the steep hillclimbs on the first part of this trail in the past with a Kodiak 450 and with a Grizzly 660, and the worst one of them I have never been able to climb in the past. I have always needed to winch to the top with any other ATV I've tried it with, but the Grizzly 700 made it up that climb today. It is a super scary climb because you are nearly vertical in loose dry dirt with big rocks everywhere, numerous tight turns in the trees, and a tall rock ledge that you need to finesse your way over. If you throttle it you're going to loop it over backwards, and that was why I could never climb this hill before, ... I have never been able to keep the front end down and also keep enough forward momentum to keep going up and over the top, and not just dig in. It was nice to finally climb that hill today, and not have to break out the winch for the umpteenth time. Today was the first time I have been able to do the entire trail, and the Grizzly was phenomenal. I'm real happy with its all around great performance. I certainly think it is worth you taking a look at one.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

Wish we had trails like that here in flat land florida

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Pro Rider

This trail climbs from the valley floor 5500 ft elevation to the mountain top 10,000 ft elevation in a distance of four miles, and then drops down into the valley on the other side of the mountain. It is entirely on private land, and has been built by hand with a pick and shovel, and a chainsaw, so it is narrow, steep, and has the absolute bare minimum improvements made to it to make it possible to get an ATV across it. The land owner and a few other people have built it, and it has taken 5 years to finish. The top part where you have to walk your ATV across a sidehill for 1/4 mile still needs some work so it can be ridden, but the trail overall is awesome. Easily the funnest and most challenging trail I've ever ridden. It is only 5.5 miles long, but it takes a full six hours to ride the trail to its end, and then return the same way. One of these days I'll buy a helmet camera and put the trail on you tube.

DV